I find myself in the unusual position

kris88

Featured Posts

Car, road, traffic warden, garage..... You on the right forum Nick?

This is car nal world isn't it?

Yea well, I realise I'm wasting my breath but it will be a shame if Kris loses his boat through not understanding how the rest of the world works. I feel the need to try even though it will be fruitless.

Edited by nicknorman

...or if you don't mind negative comments keep it on here. I think you're more likely to get an audience here despite not liking everything you hear. I think (maybe wrongly) CRT might take more notice if it stays here.

To tell you the honest truth, all the entrenched opions from the usual suspects is water off a ducks back.

Regards kris

Nick doesn't have a motor home AFAIK....

Not yet!

To tell you the honest truth, all the entrenched opions from the usual suspects is water off a ducks back.

Regards kris

Not yet!

Of course, your entrenched opinion that CRT should just allow you to do as you please is different?

If I knew how to make a blog i might, it was a steep learning curve to get this far.

For every body still concerned over my finances, I stated that when asked to pay for a winter mooring in November I didn't have the money to pay for both ( please read what is written ) at that time. I now have enough money to put my boat back together and get it running.

What I don't get is how people seem to expect me to fit bearings that aren't made yet?

Regards kris

You have long since passed the point where you can continue to moor for free.

You must either move or take a mooring.

Are you saying that you could now afford a mooring?

Yawn what was I saying. It's amazing how many experts there are on this forum.

Regards kris

You asked for advice, it has been given. Ask yourself why we are saying what we are saying. Is it because we are all a nasty mean spirited bunch just out to upset you, or is it because we are trying to get you to see the reality of your situation so you don't lose your boat?

You asked for advice, it has been given. Ask yourself why we are saying what we are saying. Is it because we are all a nasty mean spirited bunch just out to upset you, or is it because we are trying to get you to see the reality of your situation so you don't lose your boat?

I know exactly what your like, I've read enough of your posts!

Regards kris

Read all of the thread!

Regards kris

I have read all of the thread.

Your comments about your finances are inconsistent.

You have said that you couldn't afford to get a mooring and repair the boat in November.

When it was suggested that finance was a problem you took exception.

You now say you have sufficient money, but you won't actually give a straight answer to a simple question.

If your statement that you have enough money to repair the boat is predicated upon continuing to moor for free on the towpath for even longer than the 9 months you have been there, then you do not have enough money to repair the boat.

The money that you have available to repair the boat is what you have left AFTER paying your obligations, which means both licence and mooring (unless you are bona fide navigating, which you aren't)

Conversely, isn't it CRT who seem to think they can do as they please? Maybe this control freakery doesn't have a bearing on your life but it does on mine!

You seem to see it in terms of "CRT behaved wrongly in case X, an consequently they are ALWAYS wrong. Hence anybody who goes against them is right"

It doesn't wash!

Leave aside any other case with another boater. In this particular case they have done everything they can to be reasonable and accommodating. To now start to press Kris to comply is entirely appropriate.

He can either accept that he has had a good run and comply or he can embark on a quest to be a martyr to the CMer cause.

You may regard him as a hero for the latter course, but he might be a hero with no boat.

You seem to see it in terms of "CRT behaved wrongly in case X, an consequently they are ALWAYS wrong. Hence anybody who goes against them is right"

It doesn't wash!

Leave aside any other case with another boater. In this particular case they have done everything they can to be reasonable and accommodating. To now start to press Kris to comply is entirely appropriate.

He can either accept that he has had a good run and comply or he can embark on a quest to be a martyr to the CMer cause.

You may regard him as a hero for the latter course, but he might be a hero with no boat.

I'm sure Kris knows what he is doing. You certainly don't have a clue how I see things, like some others here you like to paraphrase what people say then try to turn it back on them. What doesn't wash with me is armchair boaters giving opinions on stuff which has no effect on them.

Yes. Of course your correct. There can only be one Nick (hopefully).

I know I am correct.

I suspect kris is confusing him with another member who has previously indicated their intention to buy a motor home.

Having worked my way through the thread the question that comes to my mind is what actually important for Kris, to repair his boat or to have somewhere on the cut to live? At the moment he seems to prioritise having somewhere on the cut to live since otherwise there is actually no reason for the boat to be on the water. It would clearly be far more practical for it to be on a hardstanding somewhere which enables him to do any of the work on it at any time and he would not have to worry about overstaying or licencing until the job is finished. As I have travelled around I have seen a variety of boats 'parked' in fields and I'm sure that some accomodation could have been made with a local farmer somewhere.

As an analogy with motoring, whilst it is quite acceptable to carry out minor repairs necessary to get a vehicle going again at the roadside it is not acceptable to completely rebuild a vehicle or refit an engine at the roadside, if you wish to do that you have to get a tow to somewhere appropriate. Likewise on the canals it is not reasonable to carry out extended work on a boat on the towpath since it is not a workshop.

• Greenie 1

Having worked my way through the thread the question that comes to my mind is what actually important for Kris, to repair his boat or to have somewhere on the cut to live? At the moment he seems to prioritise having somewhere on the cut to live since otherwise there is actually no reason for the boat to be on the water. It would clearly be far more practical for it to be on a hardstanding somewhere which enables him to do any of the work on it at any time and he would not have to worry about overstaying or licencing until the job is finished. As I have travelled around I have seen a variety of boats 'parked' in fields and I'm sure that some accomodation could have been made with a local farmer somewhere.

As an analogy with motoring, whilst it is quite acceptable to carry out minor repairs necessary to get a vehicle going again at the roadside it is not acceptable to completely rebuild a vehicle or refit an engine at the roadside, if you wish to do that you have to get a tow to somewhere appropriate. Likewise on the canals it is not reasonable to carry out extended work on a boat on the towpath since it is not a workshop.

Maybe Kris is just another person trying to put a stop to cooperate bullying...who knows...

Nostalgic I know, but it saddens me to hear our beautiful canals compared to shitty roads. The atmosphere on the canals was so much more pleasant when we started out in the '60's than it is today. Still good, but sadly on the wane.