cratch board

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Just about to fit a cratch board, should it be perpendicular to the boat or leaning slightly foward so its nearer vertical when the boat is in the water. I have no side on pictures of the last one so don't know how that was.

Given that a cratch board is about a metre tall, and the boat is presumably between 15 and 20 m long, I wouldn't think it will make a whole lot of difference.The difference in draught from front to back might be 100mm, so the top of the cratch board will move by about 5mm if there is a difference between the baseplate sitting level (on dry land) and floating level. Make it vertical - mine is!

I've heard tell that tradition has them leaning forward slightly....but that might be a "modern" tradition with no real standing from working days.....mine does lean forward slightly tho....made easier by having two large long hinges bolting it to the boat.

Why not be different and fit a bulk instead!

Cheers

Gareth

Just about to fit a cratch board, should it be perpendicular to the boat or leaning slightly foward so its nearer vertical when the boat is in the water. I have no side on pictures of the last one so don't know how that was.

Has it got to fit the old cratch cover?

Has it got to fit the old cratch cover?

No that tore over Christmas, it replaces the 22year plywood board that was built by Phoenix, I have kept the headlight and bar all the rest will be new including the cover an easy way to spend £1500......

My understanding too. In fact I'm not sure the term 'cratch' applies to anything on a working boat, does it?

Yes it does, it refers to the framework behind the deck board often covered with canvas and fancy rope work

B%2021%20Butty%20Raymond%27s%20cratch%20

Low1.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

The deck board on our boat is perpendicular to the boat. The difference in draught between the bow and stern is about 18", but I think it looks OK, judge for yourself from these photos.

NortonJunction3_zps1b5ffad2.jpg

Woolfhampcote01a.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

My understanding too. In fact I'm not sure the term 'cratch' applies to anything on a working boat, does it?

As David says, "cratch" is the whole assemblage- deckboard at the front (or a puffed-forwards bulk if the boatman was into that style) with the false cratch a few feet behind and supporting the first top plank, with a series of planks (which have a name but I've forgotten- stretchers?) mitred between the deckboard and false cratch to support the canvas. Then the hose and scrubbed rope work with "rockets" over the top.

As David says, "cratch" is the whole assemblage- deckboard at the front (or a puffed-forwards bulk if the boatman was into that style) with the false cratch a few feet behind and supporting the first top plank, with a series of planks (which have a name but I've forgotten- stretchers?) mitred between the deckboard and false cratch to support the canvas. Then the hose and scrubbed rope work with "rockets" over the top.

You are, of course, quite correct, but since we all knew exactly which but the OP meant isn't it OK to allow it? In the context of a modern NB, as opposed to a traditional working boat, the part does need to be called something.

... "The bit with diamonds painted on it"?

All very nice but methinks the op probably has a nice comfy modern boat not an ex working boat so cratch board usualy suffices biggrin.png

Tim

You are, of course, quite correct, but since we all knew exactly which but the OP meant isn't it OK to allow it? In the context of a modern NB, as opposed to a traditional working boat, the part does need to be called something.... "The bit with diamonds painted on it"?

Depends how important you think it is to preserve the past. There's a perfectly good name for it, but the majority of people have probably never known it. It's no longer widely used, because of, frankly, ignorance. Language, skills and attitudes, I think, are just as important as the roses and castles and a romanticised view of the past.

By the same token, you could start calling the uxter plate the Uxbridge Plate, or a windlass as a lock handle, or ....

It is a very pedantic point, I admit, hence why I out the pedantic tags around it- and something most people won't be concerned about.

All very nice but methinks the op probably has a nice comfy modern boat not an ex working boat so cratch board usualy suffices :D

Tim

It'll suffice, yes- but it's a symptom of a wider issue, the loss of heritage. It's ignoring what's come before, thinking it doesn't matter; the equivalent of painting lock gates green, or carving poetry into all the balance beams, or demolishing brick lock walls and replacing with concrete.

My ex working boat is just as comfy and nice as a modern boat, btw, it just has a history attached to the many bangs and dents, and lets me do stuff like go to archives to find documents about it. Horses for courses, most people would find that dead boring!

Depends how important you think it is to preserve the past. There's a perfectly good name for it, but the majority of people have probably never known it. It's no longer widely used, because of, frankly, ignorance. Language, skills and attitudes, I think, are just as important as the roses and castles and a romanticised view of the past.

By the same token, you could start calling the uxter plate the Uxbridge Plate, or a windlass as a lock handle, or ....

It is a very pedantic point, I admit, hence why I out the pedantic tags around it- and something most people won't be concerned about.

It'll suffice, yes- but it's a symptom of a wider issue, the loss of heritage. It's ignoring what's come before, thinking it doesn't matter; the equivalent of painting lock gates green, or carving poetry into all the balance beams, or demolishing brick lock walls and replacing with concrete.

My ex working boat is just as comfy and nice as a modern boat, btw, it just has a history attached to the many bangs and dents, and lets me do stuff like go to archives to find documents about it. Horses for courses, most people would find that dead boring!

What he said!

Cheers

Gareth

an easy way to spend £1500......

If you want to spend that much and have in made in (rather good quality) Sapele, you might as well phone Andy Hooke / Woodworks. Personally, for the woodwork side I would be up to making one myself, like I did for Beatty.

ps I was just thinking about repainting Earnest's diamonds wink.png

It can be important to preserve the past, but it can equally be futile to imitate it. Does that answer the question?

Calling the peccant part a cratch board isn't a malapropism, though.

If you want to spend that much and have in made in (rather good quality) Sapele, you might as well phone Andy Hooke / Woodworks. Personally, for the woodwork side I would be up to making one myself, like I did for Beatty.

ps I was just thinking about repainting Earnest's diamonds wink.png

I have its in Iroko so will outlast me £635 for the "window", well its more glass than wood, and an oak table that acts as a shutter for the window. Both made by a member of this forum, first fitting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dib4ax8y1ta1jyv/2015-04-15%2011.24.41.jpg?dl=0

Leaves me enough to get a new cover.

Edited by Loddon

Ahh yes mmmm loss of heritage etc etc yet I will put money on it you are pro Eu and talk in millimetres kph and other such modern jargon and have skant regard to those of us who try to hang on to our heritage in that sense. Actualy I dont think old boats are at all boring as I love old cars and they make no sense either today but for the interest aspect of them.

Tim

Ahh yes mmmm loss of heritage etc etc yet I will put money on it you are pro Eu and talk in millimetres kph and other such modern jargon and have skant regard to those of us who try to hang on to our heritage in that sense. Actualy I dont think old boats are at all boring as I love old cars and they make no sense either today but for the interest aspect of them.

Tim

I use inches...pints and miles...and I'm really not pro EU!

I was taught metric at school....but never use it....and it used to annoy my teachers a lot!

Not sure how that fits your profile......

Cheers

Gareth

Tim

Now hang on a minute. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, all of Africa, all of South and Central America, and most of Asia use SI units too, so the EU has nothing to do with the case. Only the USA, and as a consequence the aviation industry, uses feet and inches (and poundals, and slugs).

In my opinion we should have ditched imperial units wholesale when we got rid of shillings and pence in 1971, but we didn't.. My secondary schooling was entirely metric and I'm over 60. I can think far more readily in millimetres, metres and kilograms, although the hotchpotch of the last 40+ years means many folk can't.

As far as measurements for things already built in imperial, decades or centuries ago, it would be daft to convert for the sake of it, but it rarely matters much.

Now hang on a minute. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, all of Africa, all of South and Central America, and most of Asia use SI units too, so the EU has nothing to do with the case. Only the USA, and as a consequence the aviation industry, uses feet and inches (and poundals, and slugs).

In my opinion we should have ditched imperial units wholesale when we got rid of shillings and pence in 1971, but we didn't.. My secondary schooling was entirely metric and I'm over 60. I can think far more readily in millimetres, metres and kilograms, although the hotchpotch of the last 40+ years means many folk can't.

As far as measurements for things already built in imperial, decades or centuries ago, it would be daft to convert for the sake of it, but it rarely matters much.

This post genuinely suprises me as I am only 59 and the schools I went to gave us no schooling whatsoever in metric. Goes to show that not all schools follow the same practices.

Tim

I use inches...pints and miles...and I'm really not pro EU!

I was taught metric at school....but never use it....and it used to annoy my teachers a lot!

Not sure how that fits your profile......

Cheers

Gareth

Anyone who doesnt use metric is spot on in my eyes smile.png

Tim

This post genuinely suprises me as I am only 59 and the schools I went to gave us no schooling whatsoever in metric. Goes to show that not all schools follow the same practices.

Tim

Anyone who doesnt use metric is spot on in my eyes smile.png

Tim

Slightly older and didn't do metric at school £sd had a lot going for it, semi binary ¼d ½d 1d Then 3d 6d shilling 2 shillings 2s 6d 5s 10s £1