Voting without being on the electoral roll

Kristian

Featured Posts

Ok I've printed those form off so we will see what happens.....one question however; since I do not have a postal address to receive the ballot paper to how are they going to get around that? I wont be back here until middle of June.

Yes John I have various copies of the said form. The problem has been getting anyone to co-operate.

however, I do see that at the end of this year they are preparing to make it possible for people to register on-line.

Edited by tillergirl

You must know at least one person who will accept post on your behalf and text you when it has arrived, you can then arrange for the letter to be forwarded to any post office of your own chioce. It is called Post Restante and has been operating for decades, here is a link :- http://www.postoffice.co.uk/poste-restante

Friends of mine were continuously cruising for years and used it regularly without any problems.

Edited by David Schweizer

You must know at least one person who will accept post on your behalf and text you when it has arrived, you can then arrange for the letter to be forwarded to any post office of your own chioce. It is called Post Restante and has been operating for decades, here is a link :- http://www.postoffice.co.uk/poste-restante

Yes David I have already explained this but for the hard of hearing I will explain again..............any mail is sent to a daughters address.....she lives alone and qualifies for single person rebate on her council tax. We have already had the rigmarole of re-explaining and writing and emailing to said council that we don't actually live there please don't stop her rebate............at one point they had her co-habiting with her own father!!! Where I fitted in this menage-a-trois I have no idea judge.gif As this is registering to vote I think we would rather not go down that route. I have another daughter who lives alone......same problem. I will see if I can arrange to collect on the way past later this month...if not Its going to be begging a marina to accept post for us for this very important occasion. rolleyes.gif

Edited to add: I am extremely familiar with poste restante............but unfortunately not all Post Offices now offer that service

Edited by tillergirl

Well if Australia can cope with all the remote farms in the outback surely a system could be worked out for UK.

If voting in UK was a legal requirement how the hell would it work.

They have no idea who is in the country so have no idea who should be voting.@

I registered to vote online. I was then sent a form to fill in. I found postal voting from the boat didn't work. I had someone at the postal address send the voting papers to my daughter who then delivered them to me. This didn't leave enough time for me to get them returned by post.

We're registered to vote in Kent where our post is sent (my husband's parents). We have a postal vote - we'll pick up our ballot papers when we visit for Easter.

We've voted this way for a few years now - interestingly we had to sign some forms recently to verify our signatures otherwise we would have lost our postal vote.

Even though we don't live in the area we're aware of the local issues and familiar with the local politicians so it makes sense to vote there rather than the constituency we happen to be passing through.

If voting in UK was a legal requirement how the hell would it work.

I wasn't suggesting it should be a legal requirement I was saying that if Australia can set up a system which allows people in all the remote outback farms etc to easily vote it should be possible in UK.

However if it were a legal requirement it obviously would only apply to those they knew about. It would be something else you could charge those who are in the country illegally with.

P.S. I suspect Australia has illegal immigrants just like us.

Edited by Jerra

We had a referendum on PR at the start of this government and if I recall correctly it was roundly defeated.

I think the system of government needs a complete overhaul ... if we start out with the belief (which any right minded person does) that anyone who wants to be Prime Minister should be barred from that position the first step would be to make membership of a political party illegal.

From there we gradually do away with electing MPs and select our MPs randomly, replacing them on a rolling basis - that way we end up with a truly democratic parliament unsullied by the media barons deciding who they support, and not controlled by the back room suits that run the parties ... totally unlikely but hey ho I can dream.

We actually had a referendum on a deeply flawed "sort of" PR system which no major country actually uses, the Alternative Vote. European Parliamentary elections work on a genuine PR system, and others are also available, such as Single Transferable Vote, where second, third etc choices are counted, so nobody's vote is "wasted". Neither of those was offered in the excuse for a referendum we had a few years ago.

I do not understand the hassle part. I filled in the form exchanged 2 emails including where they would like them send the conformation and 2 days later I had everything.

Yes but i take it you can supply an address with no problems....... this is the hassly bit for us a least.

As I said previuosly, some people only look for problems whilst other look for solutions. Friends of mine cruised all over the country for seven years, never staying anywhere for more than a few days, but they managed to receive post regularly and were able to submit postal votes. It just requires a bit of forward planning.

The registration proceedure works on a last information received basis, so if you are already registered and your details have not changed your registration remains live. It is those who become UK citizens, those who reach voting age, and existing registered voters who move or change their name who have to register.

Interesting. I have found in my experience that it doesnt seem to work like this. What I have discovered is that every time I claim JSA the 1st thing that happens is I'm removed from the electoral roll.

I was unable to vote at the last general election, despite making sure I was on it, because I was miraculously removed from the roll just before the elections.

This time around, I made sure I was on it after I moved onto my boat (residential mooring in a marina, pay council tax), & yet I discovered this week that once again I am not on the electoral roll.

I find it suspicious because the CSA always seem to know exactly where I am 5 mins after I got there, & so do the VOA, yet somehow despite repeated attempts to stay on it, I never seem to be on the electoral roll at the right time.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

No, we had a referendum about a particular form of PR and that was defeated.

So we keep having referendums on the specifics of PR until the electorate are so bored that eventually only those that are interested in forcing the change through are bothered to vote ... sounds very like the EU forcing people to rerun referendums until they get the result they want to me.

So we keep having referendums on the specifics of PR until the electorate are so bored that eventually only those that are interested in forcing the change through are bothered to vote ... sounds very like the EU forcing people to rerun referendums until they get the result they want to me.

One single solitary airing of the issue hardly counts as "forcing people to rerun referendums until they get the result they want".

There are many forms of election and really it was a crap way of going about anything.

One single solitary airing of the issue hardly counts as "forcing people to rerun referendums until they get the result they want".

There are many forms of election and really it was a crap way of going about anything.

No ... but the very fact that some people are saying that it wasn't a proper referendum on PR because it only offered a single c^&p type of PR suggests that they think it should be rerun.

Of course it was a bad way to run the referendum - but the political elite don't want a change that would make one iota of difference to the way they run the country for their own benefit