Ridiculous signage - Yelvertoft

matty40s

Featured Posts

The new ramp, and workshops are being worked on at Yelvertoft again.

Coming from the North - you are faced with this sign.

20150317_135230_zpslwel83vu.jpg

Does this mean you swim past?

Does this mean you jump off and pull past knee deep in new mud? However, the mud does cover the raised iron works mentioned a few weeks ago)

Does this mean you drift round and take out the blue dam having no steerage?

The worst bit about it is they are taking away one of my favourite mooring spots.

9738914616_890c9c4f48_b.jpg

Edited by matty40s

How long a distance is problem .

Engine in neutral and coast through ?

If long distance then short burst if absolutely necessary.

Alternatively phone CRT for them to fetch the horse.

How long a distance is problem .80M - plus the distance from the sign to the start of the works

Engine in neutral and coast through ?Too far and on a corner - quite a windy corner sometimes

If long distance then short burst if absolutely necessary. you and me know this but......

There are plenty of hire boats on this section already - they follow the instructions implicitly...

Edited by matty40s

Does this mean you jump off and pull past knee deep in new mud? However, the mud does cover the raised iron works mentioned a few weeks ago)

The worst bit about it is they are taking away one of my favourite mooring spots.

9738914616_890c9c4f48_b.jpg[url=]

You are right, that single mooring spot opposite is great. Sun on you all day

I passed there this afternoon and it looks like the blue stuff is forming a barrier over a dam, it looks just like the dam that was in Gas Street the other week.

From what i could make out, it looks like the base of the steel canal edging has been pushed a long way out towards the canal center and that maybe they are trying to get it back upright using a dam and digging out behind the steel.

Maybe it's something to do with the dredging thats going on in the area!

Mind you, I could be completely wrong, but it is difficult to take that much notice when your trying to pole a 70ft past the area! blush.png

Nipper

I passed there this afternoon and it looks like the blue stuff is forming a barrier over a dam, it looks just like the dam that was in Gas Street the other week.

From what i could make out, it looks like the base of the steel canal edging has been pushed a long way out towards the canal center and that maybe they are trying to get it back upright using a dam and digging out behind the steel.

Maybe it's something to do with the dredging thats going on in the area!

Mind you, I could be completely wrong, but it is difficult to take that much notice when your trying to pole a 70ft past the area! :blush:

Nipper

I think you are completely wrong (smile) They are attaching a ramp/dock type thing so I guess its to do with the entrance to this.

Ian.

What a great idea!

I can see this being adopted by all those (non)boaters who stick their heads out ranting and raving as you pass at a slow steady speed.

Soon it will be compulsory, on pain of being a totally unreasonable speeder, especially to be applied going upstream on fast flowing rivers.

George ex nb Alton retired

I did add a smile in brackets nipper...I too am am often wrong, in so many ways .

Yes, all said in jest to be honest!
Writing can get anybody into trouble nowadays can't it!
To be honest, I hadn't heard of these works before having spent the last year in Northern waters, I was initially confused by the signage and then by the " what the hells happening here" thoughts.
It just goes to show that, sometimes, ones first thoughts can be so wrong.
Nipper

Nice pic matty.

The other side of the blue barrage goes down very deep, I would suggest to nearly the bottom end of the pillings.

There is also a pump in operation clearing the depths of water.

Nipper

Nice pic matty.

The other side of the blue barrage goes down very deep, I would suggest to nearly the bottom end of the pillings.

There is also a pump in operation clearing the depths of water.

Nipper

If I was the contractor I would not be relying on boaters obeying that sign and I would be surprised if CRT were relying on it either.

George ex nb Alton retired

I thought so in post 4.

Bet you're a bit sad Martin. But with exciting times ahead presumably.

Martyn

We are over any sadness to be honest. Once the decision was (finally!) made and we spent the last night on the boat we haven't once thought we have made the wrong decision. Jan couldn't face going to the mooring to 'wave' the boat Off though so I just met Matty from the train on my own.

We haven't done with boating though, eg I have spent this afternoon sussing out options and routes for a hire probably next year looking for bits of the system we haven't yet done. As hire boaters and owners I sat down and worked out that since 2006 we have done -

Leeds and Liverpool more than once

The Ashby twice

The Coventry and North Oxford twice

The Erewash

The Trent and Mersey (lost Count)

The Grand Union Leicester line and Soar Navigation

The Non Tidal Trent

The Bridegwater

The Aire and Calder Navigation (lost Count)

The New Junction Canal (lost count)

The Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (lost count)

The River Aire (lost count)

The Stainforth and Keadby (Lost count)

The Selby three times

The River Aire (Lost count)

and that of course still leaves loads. Quite fancy the South Oxford/Non tidal Thames next time or the Llangollen and the K&A would be on the list too.

But definitely yes much else to do and see 'non boating' wise too hence the main reason we are selling up.

Edited by MJG

We are over any sadness to be honest. Once the decision was (finally!) made and we spent the last night on the boat we haven't once thought we have made the wrong decision. Jan couldn't face going to the mooring to 'wave' the boat Off though so I just met Matty from the train on my own.

We haven't done with boating though, eg I have spent this afternoon sussing out options and routes for a hire probably next year looking for bits of the system we haven't yet done. As hire boaters and owners I sat down and worked out that since 2006 we have done -

Leeds and Liverpool more than once

The Ashby twice

The Coventry and North Oxford twice

The Erewash

The Trent and Mersey (lost Count)

The Grand Union Leicester line and Soar Navigation

The Non Tidal Trent

The Bridegwater

The Aire and Calder Navigation (lost Count)

The New Junction Canal (lost count)

The Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (lost count)

The River Aire (lost count)

The Stainforth and Keadby (Lost count)

The Selby three times

The River Aire (Lost count)

and that of course still leaves loads. Quite fancy the South Oxford/Non tidal Thames next time or the Llangollen and the K&A would be on the list too.

But definitely yes much else to do and see 'non boating' wise too hence the main reason we are selling up.

Sorry to quote all of your post Martin. Can't be bothered to delete bits.

Good decision then. I have always fancied the Caledonian Canal. A friend of mine did it years ago. Couldn't stop him talking about it.

Now that we live aboard we have closed the door behind us. Having said that we are tremendously happy with our lot. Gone through winter with no issues. Good to get the sun on our backs for a change.

Enjoy your lives whatever you plan to do.

(The phone is perfect) is all this off topic? Ooops!

Martyn