Serious Incident - Shropshire Union Nr Chester 11/03/2015

Colin Smith

Featured Posts

Sounds like the actions of someone that is having a few mental health problems. Lets hope she gets the help that she needs.

Are you a social worker by any chance? Not everyone who drinks excessively or who has an aggressive/violent temperament is mentally ill. This is fact. The Law states that "If someone kills someone whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs then this is NO mitigation for their actions and they must therefore be found guilty as charged". If they killed someone and are then subsequently assessed (by a team of psychiatrists, not 'do gooders') to have been been mentally ill (under the mental health act) then they MAY be eligible to plead diminished responsibility whereby the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) MAY introduce a secondary charge of Manslaughter in addition to the primary charge of Murder. It would then be down to the jury to find their verdict on each of the two charges. This woman is irresponsible, has an aggressive nature and unless this was the first time she got drunk (yeah, right!) then she herself would know what her capabilities and/or attitudes are. I agree with another comment on this blog that her boat should be immobilised at the very least. And if the powers that be actually care about her own welfare, then surely it should be considered if she's safe around water full-stop.

My sympathy to the innocents who have had their idyllic lifestyle marred/scarred by an individual selfishness.

There! :-)

• Greenie 1

Are you a social worker by any chance? Not everyone who drinks excessively or who has an aggressive/violent temperament is mentally ill. This is fact. The Law states that "If someone kills someone whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs then this is NO mitigation for their actions and they must therefore be found guilty as charged". If they killed someone and are then subsequently assessed (by a team of psychiatrists, not 'do gooders') to have been been mentally ill (under the mental health act) then they MAY be eligible to plead diminished responsibility whereby the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) MAY introduce a secondary charge of Manslaughter in addition to the primary charge of Murder. It would then be down to the jury to find their verdict on each of the two charges. This woman is irresponsible, has an aggressive nature and unless this was the first time she got drunk (yeah, right!) then she herself would know what her capabilities and/or attitudes are. I agree with another comment on this blog that her boat should be immobilised at the very least. And if the powers that be actually care about her own welfare, then surely it should be considered if she's safe around water full-stop.

My sympathy to the innocents who have had their idyllic lifestyle marred/scarred by an individual selfishness.

There! :-)

Steady on. She hasn't killed anyone!

Yet.

That's like saying your neighbour hasn't killed anyone with his car yet!

We are all capable of killing someone be it by accident or not.

In this case the lady has not killed anyone. Some of the comments on here seem quite out of context when compared with what she has actually done. rolleyes.gif

And that does not mean I am condoning what she has done, just lets get things into context.

• Greenie 2

In this case the lady has not killed anyone. Some of the comments on here seem quite out of context when compared with what she has actually done. :rolleyes:

And that does not mean I am condoning what she has done, just lets get things into context.

...so do you think speeding in a confined area is Ok?

In this case the lady has not killed anyone. Some of the comments on here seem quite out of context when compared with what she has actually done. rolleyes.gif

My point was the fact that getting pissed, whether due to any mental health problems or not, is NO excuse!

I wonder what the attitude of the good lady would be if her "idyllic lifestyle" had been marred/scarred by an individual selfishness.

I think the point is not whether or not speeding is ok, it's not. I think the point is that just because she MIGHT have killed someone is not reason to react as if she HAD killed someone.

How would you react in the same situation if someone NEARLY killed you (as opposed to how you would react if they had killed you)?

My point was the fact that getting pissed, whether due to any mental health problems or not, is NO excuse!

One of the things that seems hard to understand is that mental illness can mean behaving irrationally. That is in a way that is not rational. Your statement is perfectly rational, and such methods of thinking may not be available to someone with a mental health problem.

Rather than gathering pitchforks and blazing torches, can we wait and see what happens?

Richard

• Greenie 2

I agree with Naughty Cal.

That's an unusual start to my day :ninja:

Most of us balance risk with fun. I know this being a motorcyclist and having crashed a glider. The problem with alcohol is that it upsets that balance to the point we can be of more danger to others and ourselves.

Point being missed as is often the case on here..

My comments were in response to "Sounds like the actions of someone that is having a few mental health problems. Lets hope she gets the help that she needs."

i.e. it infers that it's almost decided that she DOES have mental issues and let's FEEL for her. I bet most of you with this sentiment would consider that the majority of all those who harm, maim or kill others MUST SURELY(?) have some form of mental health issue. I must admit, I used to have this view or at least am aware that it is one that I would have expressed before 'stuff happened' and then learnt that nothing could be further from the truth. This knowledge only emerges in the most extreme of cases that we, the ever so pragmatic public, are not privvy to.

Approximately 87% (given to me by police) of crime is committed by people who are proven to NOT have a mental health disorder. Personality disorders yes, but these people are very rarely aggressors. And as previously mentioned, alcohol and drugs are not mitigation in law.

Remember the world suicide day thread? the world is full of the unqualified well meaning distributing diagnoses of mental illness. It is also full of the unqualified intolerant who distribute condemnation and reproach. Like Richard says, let's wait and find out, restrain those jerky knees!

Remember the world suicide day thread? the world is full of the unqualified well meaning distributing diagnoses of mental illness. It is also full of the unqualified intolerant who distribute condemnation and reproach. Like Richard says, let's wait and find out, restrain those jerky knees!

There you go again - making assumptions/incorrect statements re 'unqualified'! Read between the lines of the original statements rather than get carried away with how the blog goes 'off topic' and/or 'off the point in question'.

Thank you for using short words.

(Instead of the slightly longer ones which may first have sprung to mind).

:-) that's intelligent!

There you go again - making assumptions/incorrect statements re 'unqualified'! Read between the lines of the original statements rather than get carried away with how the blog goes 'off topic' and/or 'off the point in question'.

:-) that's intelligent!

What blog do you keep bleating about?