Non Tidal Thames Threat !

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yes, I think he got a few of us with that one.

But it's not really surprising as some people actually think that way and they're the sorts of arguments some might actually make. Though not many are that flakey on this forum.

Edited by blackrose

I'm speechless it wasn't obvious!!

It's irony , innit?

Quite cleverly done - without pulling any punches - especially as it summarises (methinks) the issues for 'normal' boaters.

There have been and are many boats around not in their first flush of youth and which cause no problem for anyone else. But these don't send the message that "we don't give a damn about anyone (not necessarily anyone else) - we'll take and do whatever we can get away with, then if we can't will shout 'human rights, why should we conform' and much else besides.

The sadness is that for those who have to live on the water for various reasons - but try to remain inconspicuous, will now become targeted as well.

What does 'targeted' mean in this case?

In this country there are rules about where you can hang your hat, and where you can't, aren't there?

Should there be a second set of rules for those with fewer beer vouchers, or for those not of our ilk?

Targeted means because of someone elses anti social behaviour draconian by-laws are brought in affecting everyone.

Before the dossers took over the bit above Teddington it was a good free place to stop prior to going out on the tide next morning, now all this has gone! B'stards.

Targeted means because of someone elses anti social behaviour draconian by-laws are brought in affecting everyone.

Before the dossers took over the bit above Teddington it was a good free place to stop prior to going out on the tide next morning, now all this has gone! B'stards.

Anti social behaviour or anti social snobbery?

Anti social behaviour or anti social snobbery?

Dumping shit and other waste in the river and rubbish on the bank is anti social behaviour in my book.

Sometimes I marvel at your idealistic outlook and your forgiveness of your fellow man no matter what they have or have not done.

Dumping shit and other waste in the river and rubbish on the bank is anti social behaviour in my book.

Sometimes I marvel at your idealistic outlook and your forgiveness of your fellow man no matter what they have or have not done.

As I've said, the P takers are on both sides...nothing wrong with the middle bit, the majority of us (hopefully)...

Scaffold poles might (or might not) evade the LBR byelaw as such but in any case they would need to be licensed by the EA under the Thames Conservancy Acts. The EA would never licence scaffold poles and they have the power to remove structures placed without a licence.

It's about time they turned Richmond Park into a travellers' site.

Good parking spaces, remote from any local residents, freely available fresh meat on the hoof, the prettily decorated caravans will be an attraction for the gongoozlers. What's to lose?

So ...... expect all the floating shacks to be abandoned in situ, costing EA a fortune to remove, and new dwellings to be set up on the hill.

It's about time they turned Richmond Park into a travellers' site.

Good parking spaces, remote from any local residents, freely available fresh meat on the hoof, the prettily decorated caravans will be an attraction for the gongoozlers. What's to lose?

So ...... expect all the floating shacks to be abandoned in situ, costing EA a fortune to remove, and new dwellings to be set up on the hill.

If they shifted the stones up there from Stonehenge, then it would save them from ever having to move!!!!!

Apropriating a section of public riverbank for a permanent mooring is nothing less than theft.

And as you rightly say,the rules and byelaws become altered by this abuse and All boaters are affected

CT

Eh? There's plenty of free overnight mooring available at Teddington - the EA 24hr moorings immediately above the lock. These moorings are rigourously supervised by the lockies and there's pretty much always space for anyone who fancies staying the night. The contested moorings were 'wild' moorings half a mile up river, against Ham Common.

Like Serenity Malc, I also passed the ongoing enforcement at Garrick's - several police and LBRuT (aka El Brute) vehicles and hi-vizzed officers. And a couple of woeful boaters sat on the grass looking on sadly. I haven't been past Teddington since Friday, but might cycle past tomorrow and have a gander.

Eh? There's plenty of free overnight mooring available at Teddington - the EA 24hr moorings immediately above the lock. These moorings are rigourously supervised by the lockies and there's pretty much always space for anyone who fancies staying the night.

Unless its changed in the last year you have to pay to use the Teddington lock moorings.......

Nope just called the lock and they are not free hence why I like to moor furthur upstream.

I know where the squatters camp was as its where I used to stop thank you.

Oh well, if you've checked I suppose either it must have changed or I must have got it wrong. We've not been charged in the last year, but perhaps we got away with something we shouldn't have - lucky us!

If it's a free mooring above Teddington you're (or anyone else is) after, I recommend the park opposite Kingston riverside. It's managed by HRP and is free for the first 24 hours and £5 per 24 hours thereafter. It's a short cruise down to Teddington to catch the tide window, maybe 45 minutes :)

According to the new byelaw at http://www.richmond.gov.uk/sealed_mooring_byelaws.pdf, there are two 24 hour moorings on the non-tidal section:

Car Park adjacent to Bell Hill Recreation Ground, Thames Street, Hampton, TW12 2EA

Broom Road Recreation Ground , Trowlock Way, Teddington, TW11 9QY

First one is just up from DG's recording studio

Second one if you can get a NB in there between Thamesis club an the canoe club you are a better skipper than most.

Cruiser yes, even then the flack from the clubs may well be not worth the effort

Edited by Loddon