List to port

Tinker856

Featured Posts

Stand on tother side

Jokey but not helpful to a brand new poster.

I would suggest like Kieth does the boat needs re trimming. Either by adding some weight to the right side OR removing some weight from the left side and moving it to the right.

Our boat is trimmed with the railway thingy's * that they fasten the rails to and usefully can be moved about. We have had to do this when removing the PO tank and changing the number of batteries.

* railway thingy's is a technical term known only to hardened railway enthusiasts.

Jokey but not helpful to a brand new poster.

I would suggest like Kieth does the boat needs re trimming. Either by adding some weight to the right side OR removing some weight from the left side and moving it to the right.

Our boat is trimmed with the railway thingy's * that they fasten the rails to and usefully can be moved about. We have had to do this when removing the PO tank and changing the number of batteries.

* railway thingy's is a technical term known only to hardened railway enthusiasts.

Chairs, but I think thingy's is much more appropriate! :)

Agree, you need to re-trim, but before you do check for obvious things like whether it's time for a pump out, or if the loo is empty, and it's leaning away from that side, wait until you have a full tank before reaching a judgement.

Chairs, but I think thingy's is much more appropriate! :)

Agree, you need to re-trim, but before you do check for obvious things like whether it's time for a pump out, or if the loo is empty, and it's leaning away from that side, wait until you have a full tank before reaching a judgement.

Chairs, that's it.....

I've just bought a boat and had some conversion work done. There is now a list to port of 2.8 degrees. Is this a problem or is it ok?

Mine does the same, the water tank, sofa bed, fridge, cooker, bed and under-bed storage are all on the same side, doesn't cause any real problem though. If it did, then a few bags of coal on the other side would sort it out.

I've just bought a boat and had some conversion work done. There is now a list to port of 2.8 degrees. Is this a problem or is it ok?

I am deeply intrigued as to how you can measure to an accuracy of one decimal place of degrees.

On one of our boats, at least, moving a small not overloaded holdall from one side to the other would produce a change of several tenths of a degree!

I am deeply intrigued as to how you can measure to an accuracy of one decimal place of degrees.

On one of our boats, at least, moving a small not overloaded holdall from one side to the other would produce a change of several tenths of a degree!

I'd say its very easy to measure it accurately. For example place a decent quality spirit level on the floor or deck. Whether its necessary to measure it that accurately, or to have a boat trimmed so its level to within 0.1degree, is another topic though!

digital level in an iphone?

digital level in an iphone?

Or maybe just a plumb line. Probably not really accurate to 0.1 degree but much better than 1 degree.

A list of 1 degree is quite noticeable/unpleasant when you walk through the boat, and 0.5 degree is detectable.

How big is the holdall or how small is the boat Alan?

...............Dave

Edited by dmr

Use an iPhone spirit level on the floor, after you've half-pumped out, half-filled with water and diesel, and got the missus off the boat altogether.

If you have a boat with full-width tanks, none of the above matters, except the wife's location.

Edited by Loafer

Just googled a few pics. I go with chairs.

Yes, from your descrition, the rails sit on chairs, but are joined by fishplates.

But to get technical, are the chairs for flat bottomed or "bullhead" rail.

I'm going to guess flat bottom, as chairs for bullhead rail stand really quite tall, com[pared to their useful mass as ballast.

Bullhead rail chair...

chair-trk.jpg

Flat bottom rail

svih0ih9.jpg

How big is the holdall or how small is the boat Alan?

When we bought "Sickle" (40 foot shortened working boat) the seller said, it is trimmed so the passenger can sit on the right cabin side. I thought he was taking the pi$$, but he is quite right - if the second person wants to be on the other side, you need to open the hold, and move a bag of coal across to the other side.

It is an unusual boat, though, with an awful lot of swim compared to overall length, and the round chines make such behaviours far more pronounced. If we only ever had to live with less than 3 degrees of tilt on that boat, I think I'd be quite happy!

I don't understand this tilt thing. I can't tilt mine unless I put half a ton of coal on just one side of the cabin top. Even Mrs Loafer, getting on board with her shopping, is undetectable. Which is a severe disadvantage whilst appreciating a 'Tesco Opportunity' (See 'Viz' magazine)

What are you all on about?

Yes, from your descrition, the rails sit on chairs, but are joined by fishplates.

But to get technical, are the chairs for flat bottomed or "bullhead" rail.

I'm going to guess flat bottom, as chairs for bullhead rail stand really quite tall, com[pared to their useful mass as ballast.

Bullhead rail chair...

chair-trk.jpg

Flat bottom rail

svih0ih9.jpg

Ours look like flat bottom....

Ours look like flat bottom....

Yep, Sickle came with a couple of those. Not enough to be useful ballast, but very good for anchoring down the "tarpaulin" that we put over the tug deck in Winter.

I could do with about 4 more in fact, for just that purpose!

I've picked up several new track to chair retaining clips on the tow path here under the railway bridge plus a nice shortish Network rail wooden ladder. They drop things when working up there and don't bother to come down and pick em up. I'm always wary when walking or boating under that bridge, I wouldn't fancy getting crowned by one of those clips. The ladder has been since used to rescue someone from out of the river so that has appeased the tiny bit of guilt I felt when walking off with it, and some of the clips have made joke Christmas presents. When I've got a substantial number of clips I'll be cashing them in at the scrap yard or floggin em back to Balfour Beatty-Network southeast.

Edited by bizzard

I don't understand this tilt thing. I can't tilt mine unless I put half a ton of coal on just one side of the cabin top. Even Mrs Loafer, getting on board with her shopping, is undetectable. Which is a severe disadvantage whilst appreciating a 'Tesco Opportunity' (See 'Viz' magazine)

What are you all on about?

It all depends on the "footprint" of the boat. Obviously if the weight of the boat is distributed over a large surface any variations in the distribution are going to have less effect than on a much smaller boat. I reckon owners of boats over 55 foot are not going to relate to this issue unless the boat has particularly long swims or is tapered below the water.

I recall hiring a 35 footer once and as the toilet waste tank filled up the boat listed to such an extent that you couldn't fill the wash basin to a decent level without the water spilling over the side.. You wouldn't have thought the contents of a small black water tank could make such a difference but the list was noticeable at the end of the first day.

maybe the tilt is more noticeable because not deep enough in water or as most boats too much equipment on the same side .

Whats all this port and starboard ?

Port is for xmas with stilton .

Star board is for good behaviour at infant school ?

My boat lists a lot that's when I know it time for a pump out. :D :D :D

maybe the tilt is more noticeable because not deep enough in water or as most boats too much equipment on the same side .

Whats all this port and starboard ?

Port is for xmas with stilton .

Star board is for good behaviour at infant school ?

Port and Starboard never changes. Left and right depend on which way you are facing.