I dislike being treated like a criminal

kris88

Featured Posts

I find all this focus on enforcement and the anxiety it causes most unpleasant . I think the whole tone and focus of CRTs attitude to boaters is unpleasant.

Dissolutioned licence payer with a mooring, West Midlands.

Why? The email / letter is only a reminder to everyone as to their obligation to move as required by the terms of their licence.

Anyone who drives a car / truck / bus etc will probably pass dozens of signs every day, informing them of the relevant speed limit on the road on which they are travelling.

Likewise, they may pass an ANPR camera, which will check their MOT and insurance status.

This paranoia is getting totally out of hand. If you are legal and complying you have nothing to fear.

• Greenie 1

Why? The email / letter is only a reminder to everyone as to their obligation to move as required by the terms of their licence.

This paranoia is getting totally out of hand. If you are legal and complying you have nothing to fear.

Deserving of a greenie but non left, well said.

I go boating to get away from all that kind of shit.. It's bad enough on the road.

Until we do something that gets on their radar we should be valued customers and not subjected to un neccesarily hostile communications .

Edited by madcat
  • Greenie 3

I go boating to get away from all that kind of shit.. It's bad enough on the road.

Until we do something that gets on their radar we should be valued customers and not subjected to un neccesarily hostile communications .

Well said I have complied for 9 years why should I be subjected to this email just send it to those who have not complied

100% behind you. The good news is that the virtual world keeps w@#%ers happy and off the waterways so we can carry on cruising and enjoy the real world.

Well said I have complied for 9 years why should I be subjected to this email just send it to those who have not complied

I have been a driver for over 30 years. Every Christmas I am subjected to television adverts publicising the annual campaign against drink driving.

I am not in the habit of driving having recently consumed alcohol, but if the campaign saves one life, or serious injury, then it has achieved something.

No problem.

• Greenie 1

I think, in defence of the OP, I too had a slightly allergic reaction to the email. I think it's because on first reading it does seem a bit over the top. The first few lines in and I thought it was an enforcement notice. I was trying to figure out what I'd done wrong since I'm on a winter mooring. Then I realised what it was and I vented my anger by complaining to my girlfriend. We both agreed that it was just generally a bit of a twatty thing to send out. Not really bad, bit a bit irritating. In five years we have never been subject to enforcemnt action. But I think I would have stopped short of posting about it as I can also see that CRT don't have much of a choice. If they send letters only to those who aren't complying, they are targeting people. This is a bit of pro-active enforcement, however ill advised or poorly worded and I think once they decided to send it, it couldn't really be done in any other way. If you got it as an email and it annoyed you, delete it and forget it. Otherwise burn the letter. Burning is more satisfying, obviously.

ETA: if you didn't get the letter because you are not a continuous cruise, as I assume some people responding to this thread are, may I respectfully advise caution in how you comment on this because, unless you got the letter or email, and how it feels to be accused of not complying and the big brother tone of it all, I think you ought to bear these things in mind first.

Edited by Captain Zim
  • Greenie 2

. This statement is the same one rolled out for years as people slowly steal away all of our civil rights as free people, I,E why worry when we put a camera outside of everyone's house, etc etc and is a bit low to throw into a chat, by the way I have never had a bad experience with CRT or tesco just don't like that oft used line, it represents much of what's wrong with our society

Please don't wait that long for my replies, I've got other things to do than post on here all the time.

I stand by the sentiment I posted, thanks for the usual replies from the usual suspects. I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone.

I'm just expressing how I feel,

Regards kris

• Greenie 1

Surely this letter is to stop you getting on the radar, as been said before "if you are complying with the conditions of your license you have nothing to fear" just go and enjoy the life you moved out of bricks for.

Please don't wait that long for my replies, I've got other things to do than post on here all the time.

I stand by the sentiment I posted, thanks for the usual replies from the usual suspects. I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone.

I'm just expressing how I feel,

Regards kris

. You go kris more power to your pen

I have been a driver for over 30 years. Every Christmas I am subjected to television adverts publicising the annual campaign against drink driving.

I am not in the habit of driving having recently consumed alcohol, but if the campaign saves one life, or serious injury, then it has achieved something.

No problem.

So they also sent you an email telling you what would happen if you were caught driving drunk. They must have you down as a drink driver as I never got one but then I am not on their radar as a drink driver

Surely this letter is to stop you getting on the radar, as been said before "if you are complying with the conditions of your license you have nothing to fear" just go and enjoy the life you moved out of bricks for.

Why would I need to know the penalties for non compliance if I have always complied. Did boaters with a home mooring get an email telling them what would happen if they do not comply

I have no doubt once I start constant cruising I will get the same letters and as long as I am compliant I will burn them, If I am not I will heed them as a friendly reminder to do so or face the wrath of CRT. If you dont like it get a mooring or sell up and live on land

Peter

I have no doubt once I start constant cruising I will get the same letters and as long as I am compliant I will burn them, If I am not I will heed them as a friendly reminder to do so or face the wrath of CRT. If you dont like it get a mooring or sell up and live on land

Peter

Yes those letters when first presented to the associations were only supposed to go to new ccers

So they also sent you an email telling you what would happen if you were caught driving drunk. They must have you down as a drink driver as I never got one but then I am not on their radar as a drink driver

perhaps you think that placing ads on TV would be a better waste of licence payers' money. frusty.gif

sounds to me that the objectors are paranoid and prob'ly have summat to hide. one day the remaining CCers will all comply and there will be no need to continually remind folks.

Edited by Murflynn

Peter

The sad truth is that a someone behind a puppet doesn't want boats clogging up canals. Once they become concrete you won't get a look in.

perhaps you think that placing ads on TV would be a better waste of licence payers' money. frusty.gif

sounds to me that the objectors are paranoid and prob'ly have summat to hide. one day the remaining CCers will all comply and there will be no need to continually remind folks.

Are you saying I have something to hide? Or that I an non compliant? I do not think accusing me of either is good form and would ask you to rethink before making statements like that again about me

I think the whole thing is a media campaign to get canals and boats as much coverage as possible.

All the court cases will attract attention, there hoping that a lot of people will agree with sentiment of "good get rid of the scruffy freeloaders"and end up signing up as friends donating to the up keep of the system.

Clearing and sanitising the cut,to make room for more hire boats on there "theme park"

Regards kris

I find all this focus on enforcement and the anxiety it causes most unpleasant . I think the whole tone and focus of CRTs attitude to boaters is unpleasant.

Dissolutioned licence payer with a mooring, West Midlands.

One of the constant things that CRT get wrong is to continually treat you as a potential bad boy (or girl!), even if you try very hard not to be.

I think I have posted my recent example, where my failure to get an initial moorings renewal letter meant I got a query about my intentions for the mooring.

I phoned them immediately, and they agreed to send me another form, but what turned up was a letter about 70% of which concentrated on how, if I did not have a mooring, then they would revoke my licence, and, if they revoked my licence, they could then take my boat.

I only failed to spot my mooring was overdue, FFS, and this was their response to me trying to promptly sort out the error!

Just a simple example of how they seem to be very poor in the manner of their communication, and unable to temper it to the situation.

At least we persuaded them to stop putting "Licence it or lose it!" on the same piece of paper as the licence "discs" you have just actually paid for in full, but other than that the message about how the trust should communicate seems to go largely unheeded.

Being more confrontational than there is any need to be continues to be their speciality, time and time again.

• Greenie 1

My Dad started getting letters from a company claiming that he had committed an offence and owed them money. My Dad is quite ill and worries a lot. The letters escalated and they threatened him with court, eventually telling him how to prepare for his day in court. Eventually he gave in and paid them off to leave him alone even though he had done nothing and owed them nothing.

now he has a TV license he doesn't require...

Why would I need to know the penalties for non compliance if I have always complied. Did boaters with a home mooring get an email telling them what would happen if they do not comply

**mod cap off**

As you are fully aware this is an information letter only, there is no threat there as far as i can see (if you are complying with the license t&cs)