I dislike being treated like a criminal

kris88

Featured Posts

I put this in the same class as 'Shoplifters will be prosecuted' notices. I've used one as a reminder to license a boat when I have got back from holiday.

Everything that CRT does seems to be analysed in minute detail by some boaters. Give them a break.

Ah now I understand so a bit like say Waitrose putting "shoplifters will be prosecuted" on the till receipts when you have just paid, I wonder why they don't do that!! Edited by cotswoldsman

They aren't.

Failing to comply with the terms of your licence is NOT a criminal matter, so they are not treating anybody like a criminal.

The facts are that more than a trivial number of people registered as CCers are not actually cruising very much at all.

Clearly, CRT could go down the path of only telling people once they beleve they are breaking the rules, but doesn't telling people up front give them the best chance of complying?

If CRT only wrote to some CCers, there would be howls of protest about victimisation.

Well said.

It's not just this most recent communications, all off my recent interactions with them have left me feeling less than satisfied as a customer

Regards kris

I think you should refuse to pay them any more money, and not move your boat at all.

It's the only way they will ever learn respect for their customers.

Do let us know how that works out for you.

• Greenie 1

It's quite obvious that kris88 has genuine concerns which are genuinely bothering him.

The posters making somewhat belittling remarks show no compassion, or ability to help.

Quite sickening at times.

Care in society seems to elude this forum, by default.

Ah now I understand so a bit like say Waitrose putting "shoplifters will be prosecuted" on the till receipts when you have just paid, I wonder why they don't do that!!

Would you get your knickers in a twist if they did? unsure.png

It's quite obvious that kris88 has genuine concerns which are genuinely bothering him.

The posters making somewhat belittling remarks show no compassion, or ability to help.

biggrin.png

I think you should refuse to pay them any more money, and not move your boat at all.

It's the only way they will ever learn respect for their customers.

Do let us know how that works out for you.

clapping.gif

It's not just this most recent communications, all off my recent interactions with them have left me feeling less than satisfied as a customer

Regards kris

Well, mine have been different. I emailed them about the T&C changes, got a reply within a couple of days quite pleasantly worded if a bit ungrammatical here and there, got my lience renewal notice, did it online and got it in couple of days, didn't get a reminder about the mooring permit with the amounts on, so emailed them and got a friendly reply the next day explaining why I hadn't had it and got it two days later. I sent a grumbling email about the Macc stop lock which was leaking fit to bust and impossible to open without ramming it with your boat and it was fixed within the week. Add that to a cheeful wave from the CRT bloke with his palmtop and I reckon next week's boat trip should be OK. Maybe I'm just lucky. Can't stand dubstep though, give me an Irish reel any time.

Quite possibly, but he hasn't said what they may be.

Care in society arises from people making the contributions they are legally (and morally) obliged to. I have every sympathy for someone who is wronged, but probably none at all for a rule breaker.

Quite possibly, but he hasn't said what they may be.

Care in society arises from people making the contributions they are legally (and morally) obliged to. I have every sympathy for someone who is wronged, but probably none at all for a rule breaker.

So you have decided he "is" a rule breaker?

Edited by jenlyn

I'll take that as being aimed at my immediately prior post.

My understanding of this thread is that

1. kris88 feels like a criminal in all his dealings with CRT. Not just the current letter/email, but all recent interactions.

2. Other people have suggested that he either removes his boat from CRT waterways - there are plenty of them, but probably not where he wants to be - or sells the boat and moves back on land. He does not want to do this.
My tongue in cheek response above (don't pay them any more, don't move the boat) is the only other option I can see as available to kris88.
If you have an actual positive suggestion as to how kris88 can stop feeling like a criminal, please share it with the forum.

If you have an actual positive suggestion as to how kris88 can stop feeling like a criminal, please share it with the forum.

Stop reading threads on CWDF that paint everything C&RT do as aimed at driving CCers off the canal, then treat communications from C&RT lightly until they explicitly accuse you of doing something wrong. Enjoy being on your boat.

I see no mention or reference to you in particular within my post.

Do you feel I should have?

Of course not.

You wouldn't want to make a forum newbie feel like a criminal, would you?

My computer seems to have missed off your positive suggestion though. Please repeat it so I don't feel like you don't care.

Of course not.

You wouldn't want to make a forum newbie feel like a criminal, would you?

My computer seems to have missed off your positive suggestion though. Please repeat it so I don't feel like you don't care.

One of my problems is I care a little too much. You being a "forum newbie" will probably not have discovered that yet.

Given the fact also that I tend to work behind the scene's owing to concerns for privacy in dealing with individuals, it's difficult to show publicly how much I care.

One of my problems is I care a little too much. You being a "forum newbie" will probably not have discovered that yet.

Given the fact also that I tend to work behind the scene's owing to concerns for privacy in dealing with individuals, it's difficult to show publicly how much I care.

Oh I apologise if asking you to share with the forum makes you uncomfortable.

I am not requesting you to share any private or personal data about kris88.

I too recently had a pointed email from CRT. It was the licence / reg number display one. My boat has licence and reg nos displayed on both sides, so I was feeling unfairly targeted.

How would you recommend I deal with these feelings?

If it helps you form your reply I don't live on the boat, but I do live within a few miles of at least two places I can keep a boat without a CRT licence.

Even better it's a very very shiny boat under the green slime ;-)

Oh I apologise if asking you to share with the forum makes you uncomfortable.

I am not requesting you to share any private or personal data about kris88.

I too recently had a pointed email from CRT. It was the licence / reg number display one. My boat has licence and reg nos displayed on both sides, so I was feeling unfairly targeted.

How would you recommend I deal with these feelings?

If it helps you form your reply I don't live on the boat, but I do live within a few miles of at least two places I can keep a boat without a CRT licence.

Even better it's a very very shiny boat under the green slime ;-)

I to had the same letter. I replied with this below

""""Hi, for your information, the index number is always on display.

It's positioned in the 18 inch porthole windows on both sides where it is, and has, always been displayed.

Your number checkers often cycle past without stopping to check, which I have brought up with Richard Parry in the past, and to which I have dates of them doing this. Even as recently as three weeks ago at fisheries lock in Hemel.

So perhaps whilst taking the time to contact me, and kindly remind me of my obligations as a licence holder, you will also take time to educate your number checker on how to correctly record details when on his rounds!

Many thanks and kind regards""""

So perhaps whilst taking the time to contact me, and kindly remind me of my obligations as a licence holder, you will also take time to educate your number checker on how to correctly record details when on his rounds!

Maybe you could volunteer as a number checker. This should reduce the number of people who feel victimised by CRT, as I feel sure you are far more detail-oriented than the unfortunate CRT staff who don't even have boats.

The quality of the boat location reporting would go up too, so win-win-win.

. Warwickshire avon, broads, Thames just a few off the top me head

So are you seriously suggesting that liveaboards would wish to spend their entire boating life cruising up and down the Warks. Avon or the Thames? I believe that the Broads Authority does not take kindly to resi boaters and it isn't all that big anyway.

Maybe you could volunteer as a number checker. This should reduce the number of people who feel victimised by CRT, as I feel sure you are far more detail-oriented than the unfortunate CRT staff who don't even have boats.

The quality of the boat location reporting would go up too, so win-win-win.

I sort of expected a reply from you along those lines sadly.

I sort of expected a reply from you along those lines sadly.

Oh, I thought we had worked out your positive solution to the original issue - you were reducing the number of people who feel unfairly victimised by making sure that the recording of data was more accurate.

I regret that as soon as we decided how you could positively contribute to the issue you took it personally.

(although I do confess that the detail-oriented bit was a cheap dig!)