Dudley Canal Trust - no private moorings at Black Country Museum anymore

stuart

Featured Posts

After 10 years mooring at the Dudley Canal Trusts site at the Black Country Museum in Dudley, I've had noticed that I've got 4 weeks to move my boat to a new mooring - not that easy in winter!

Not even a thanks for your custom!

All part of a new visitor centre they are planning to build.

After 10 years mooring at the Dudley Canal Trusts site at the Black Country Museum in Dudley, I've had noticed that I've got 4 weeks to move my boat to a new mooring - not that easy in winter!

Not even a thanks for your custom!

All part of a new visitor centre they are planning to build.

That is annoying. Although, it has to be said that if I were in your situation, having learnt about the visitor centre plans last year, I might have enquired about the future of my moorings some time ago.

I suspect someone has just overlooked those pesky people who actually have boats, rather than those who just come to gawp at them -ie incompetence, rather than malice (not that that helps much!). Maybe you should ask them (in person) for a stay of execution under the circumstances?

I must admit I have been looking at the plans for the new visitor centre for some time since when they were first mooted and was worried about the impact on mooring as I regularly call into the visitor section and this has been getting smaller over the years.

That is annoying. Although, it has to be said that if I were in your situation, having learnt about the visitor centre plans last year, I might have enquired about the future of my moorings some time ago.

I suspect someone has just overlooked those pesky people who actually have boats, rather than those who just come to gawp at them -ie incompetence, rather than malice (not that that helps much!). Maybe you should ask them (in person) for a stay of execution under the circumstances?

Sounds right. Best keep your boat well away from the place. You wouldn't want it to get damaged.

When we were moored there just into the New Year we looked at the plans and it seemed to me that part of the purpose of the development was to ease disabled access to the tunnel boats (they are building a new bridge if I remember correctly). The set-up at the moment does make it difficult for disabled access since the only way to the tunnel boats from the car park is over the steps on the tunnel bridge. I didn't see any suggestion of getting rid of the visitor moorings though since that is where some of the visitors to the BCLM moor so it would be a case of cutting their own throat. The sanitary station/water point/toilet/shower block looks fairly new as well so I don't think there is any chance of them doing away with it (for what purpose??)

We have always found the staff at the museum most unhelpful and very condescending to the point that we no longer attempt to moor there when in the area. I am not surprised that Stuart has been told to move on with little notice.

Do you mean the Black Country museum or the Dudley Canal Trust? The organisations are quite independent but obviously work together. I volunteer at the museum where my boat is moored over the winter on display and have an excellent relationship with all the staff at all levels. I would be concerned if there are bad feelings towards the museum and would wish to alert the staff and see what can be done. I don't think the museum has any permanenrt moorings (just the visitor ones opposite the facility block) so suspect Stuart has been told to move off one of the DCT moorings?

Kind reghrds

David

Do you mean the Black Country museum or the Dudley Canal Trust? The organisations are quite independent but obviously work together. I volunteer at the museum where my boat is moored over the winter on display and have an excellent relationship with all the staff at all levels. I would be concerned if there are bad feelings towards the museum and would wish to alert the staff and see what can be done. I don't think the museum has any permanenrt moorings (just the visitor ones opposite the facility block) so suspect Stuart has been told to move off one of the DCT moorings?

Kind reghrds

David

David

PM sent - no more dirty linen in public.

Regards

Richard

Hi nicknorman, yes I did enquire about moorings when the plans were released, June at the trust confirmed that there were draft plans, and would still be space.... yeah right!

I don't think the museum has any permanenrt moorings (just the visitor ones opposite the facility block) so suspect Stuart has been told to move off one of the DCT moorings?

David

Yes there are (were!) 4 DCT moorings on the side opposite the museum.

Never mind, off to droitwich spa marina now, shame its £500 a year more than I was paying at DCT !

Hi nicknorman, yes I did enquire about moorings when the plans were released, June at the trust confirmed that there were draft plans, and would still be space.... yeah right!

Yes there are (were!) 4 DCT moorings on the side opposite the museum.

Never mind, off to droitwich spa marina now, shame its £500 a year more than I was paying at DCT !

Just shows what the DCT are like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the visitor moorings opposite the museum right now. Very nice they are too, but few in number. The facilities block is good and was only built in 2004. Quite secure and a reasonable walk to the Fountain Inn!

Building work is continuing apace, and I was chatting to folk in the museum who were all pretty positive about it and sympathetic to DCT's need for better facilities. I know nowt about the impact elsewhere though, or on the permanent moorings. If there's anything that would be useful I could ask in the morning.

Stuart - My home mooring is Droitwich Spa Marina. I'd be very surprised if you don't find the place, and Nick and his staff, an absolute delight. Welcome!