Short Term Summer Moorings in Cheshire

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Could anyone please suggest a suitable marina or boatyard in the Nantwich /Middlewich/Sandbach area where we can leave our boat for a few weeks, within a bus/Taxi ride from a railway station.

We are planning to travel northward and leave the boat for a few weeks, return to explore explore the area including the Llangollen (if water levels permit), then leave it again for a few more weeks before returning home. so will need somewhere that is likely to have space over most of the the summer.

Edited by David Schweizer

Lutine is currently at Heritage Narrow Boats, Scholar Green. They were quite happy to have her for "a few weeks" when I left her at the end of September, and have been flexible enough to allow that to become six months!

I walked from there to Kidsgrove station when I left her, but that is perhaps a tad ambitious for most people. I think there is a bus through the village and at less than 3 miles it is certainly taxi-able.

The biggest problem for you may well be that Heartbreak hill is between Scholar Green and your target area!

I would have thought that any of the big marinas on the Middlewich arm, at Audlem or at the east end of the Llangollen are big enough to find a space for a few weeks over the Summer - there should be enough boats out for the Summer to give them some space. All of them will be a fairly modest taxi ride from Crewe station.

Probably best rate for a marina short stay is Swanley, a short distance up the Llangollen. But even they are about £10 a night. There are a number of vacancies on the C&RT LTMs in the Nantwich area so it might be worth contacting them to see if they will do you a mooring for a few weeks.

There is also Overwater on the Llangollen but near Audlem, Natwich has a boat club and a small marina, Aquaduct who advertise in every boating magazine/paper will do it for a price they are near Middlewich, If you want you can try Venetian marina at Nantwich just make sure they don't sell it. there are several small boatyards and marinas on the Llangollen itself.

We left "Chalice" for about 5 days last summer at Overwater, near Audlem.

Not something we normally splash out on, but it made things very easy, and is superbly equipped as well, allowing us to get washing done as well, and generally being well sorted to restart our big summer trip, after we had taken a "break" to move "Sickle" elsewhere.

The downside is it was, IIRC, £10 per night, so if you want a few weeks, the costs would not be trivial.

When we enquired at Nantwich, they almost laughed uncontrollably at me for even daring to imagine they might have any spare berths, but Overwater seemed to have plenty.

EDIT: Overwater is not particularly close to a useful railway station, but the cost of a taxi from Rugby was not prohibitive.

There is also Overwater on the Llangollen but near Audlem,

No, it is on the Shroppie, North of Audlem, not on the Llangollen.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks for all the suggestions, we have earmarked a couple for further enquiry, both of which are about four miles from a railway station. The fee of around £10 a night seems to be the minimum in this area with a slight discount for a full week, some are significantly more!!

Have you discounted leaving it on the towpath? I was cruising in the NW towards the end of last year and left Albion on towpath moorings quite regularly for up to a week at a time.

One other suggestion...

My girlfriend is about to move into a cottage by one of the locks in Rode Heath on the T&M. Until i find a new boat i will also be residing there (i refuse to admit i will be moving in with her!). If you moored the boat by the lock we'd be happy to check on it twice a day whilst walking the dog. If you're worried about being outside the 14 day rule I'd be happy to move it a mile or so for you on the 13th day, work schedule pending. We'd probably also be available for lifts to and from the local station, Sanbach i believe.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we have earmarked a couple for further enquiry, both of which are about four miles from a railway station. The fee of around £10 a night seems to be the minimum in this area with a slight discount for a full week, some are significantly more!!

I forgot to quote your post so I'm doing so now to bring your attention to my above post.

Also there is a house with it's own offside mooring in Middlewich between Bridges 168 (Wardle canal) & 169 which was advertising short term moorings last summer, give him a call on 01606 27zero1four8

Nice chap as well. Chatted with him whilst waiting for the lock last year. A bit close to the junction, but a brilliant spot.

Thanks for the offers of further suggestions and assistance. I must admit I am tempted by Junior's offer, but not knowing the locations am a bit reluctant, for a variety of reasons. Although it will cost me a lot more, I think I will probaby go for Swanley Bridge Marina who were really friendly and helpful on the phone, particulary as we shall also need somewhere to leave a car for several weeks whilst we are out exploring the area, and again when returning.

If I change my mind I may be contacting one or two people!!