What is this pipework for?

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

I am not very familiar with back boilers and was wondering what this is all about. The stove runs two rads and a cauliflower on a gravity system.

These have been fitted to comply with EEC regulations. They are known as Brussels spouts.

Coat

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I agree with Jonesthenuke..but this is only my 'opinion'.

The right hand side bleeds air from the system automatically.....so allowing only water to reach the pressure relief valve on the left.

If the 'self bleed' was not there...you would have air trapped under the pressure relief valve...which is compressible and so the pressure in your system would far outweigh the safe limit for your calorifier.

Not sure this is a 'correct' setup...and I think you should seek the advice of 'Mike the boilerman'...

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

.which is compressible and so the pressure in your system would far outweigh the safe limit for your calorifier.

Hydraulic and pneumatic pressure would be equal. However compressed pneumatics = lots of stored energy which is a hazard.

Err, is there an open header tank somewhere in the system? (I sincerely hope so! ohmy.png)

If the backboiler side is sealed with an expansion vessel, I'd put a proper header tank in ASAP. It might work fine for years... until it goes BANG one day with disastrous consequences! help.gif

Why the initial question BTW and what's the history, newly acquired boat, does it seem to be working OK at the moment?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Clearly the work of a monumental bodge artist!

MtB

I'm with you there Mike.

This is the boat I am in the process of buying. You should see the electrics!

No sign of a header tank either which is rather worrying. Also there is an Alde Comfort boiler which is T'd into the rad circuit so you can presumably pre-heat the back boiler. lol.

Its all going to be replaced but I just wondered what it was.

I'm with you there Mike.

This is the boat I am in the process of buying. You should see the electrics!

No sign of a header tank either which is rather worrying. Also there is an Alde Comfort boiler which is T'd into the rad circuit so you can presumably pre-heat the back boiler. lol.

Its all going to be replaced but I just wondered what it was.

Post no 2 in this thread nailed it.

The header tank in the Alde is functioning as the expansion tank for the stove system in that case. Yes the Alde is very probably heating the back boiler. And the stove heating the Alde probably, too!

MtB