questions on fibreglass boat

bux

Featured Posts

Is this boat outboard powered, if so the combination of a wood or coal burning stove and petrol is not a good one to have in a boat that itself is made from something else that also burns well.

Get hold of the Boat Safety Scheme book of rules and have a good read through it.

i dont mind Ime on my 57foot canal cruiser so it is my sons worry i suppose

That does seem a strange response to the possibility of your son being caught in a burning boat

Have to agree with NC about suitability of boat, however with plenty of lateral thinking it can be done, I also agree with her comment about blown air gas heating, this is easily fitted and is relatively inexpensive but will require the use of battery power of around 2amps an hour.

Good luck to him (sincerely)

Phil

If its only short term until he can sell the boat, and he is in a marina with a hook-up maybe a suitably mounted electric heater could do the job.

You can get a lot of electickery for the (approx) £800-£1000 that a solid fuel stove or Eber (installed) would cost

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Have to agree with NC about suitability of boat, however with plenty of lateral thinking it can be done, I also agree with her comment about blown air gas heating, this is easily fitted and is relatively inexpensive but will require the use of battery power of around 2amps an hour.

Good luck to him (sincerely)

Phil

I think that might be a problem, especially as the boat is outboard powered, and assuming no shore power. If on shore power an electric fan heater would do for starters.

I understand the concern re solid fuel and petrol fumes, and that caution is needed, but that goes for open flame cooking appliances too.

Edited by Guest

I don't think blown air heating will work on a boat like this in the depths of winter, and you would probably need to be on a marina anyway to run it. It sounds to me like the lad in question hasn't got the money to fork out for marina fees.

You can get tiny woodburners these days designed for yurts, shepherds huts and the like, google will bring up a few.

But if money really is tight, the cheapest would be one of those gas canister conversions, loads of these on ebay or you can make your own if you are handy. Getting the flue installed safely would be the main consideration and in that regard I would buy a recognised collar/fitting system for grp boats, do not try and do that on the cheap.

It goes without saying but if he does fit a stove a carbon monoxide detector is an absolute must.

Regarding insulation, anything that is non absorbent ie don't be tempted to stick carpet to the walls it will just get wringing wet. Taping something like bubble wrap over the windows will help.

BUT, the best thing he can spend his money on is a top quality 4 - season sleeping bag, £200-300 will get a good one and that will make life considerably more pleasant in the winter.

How is your son planning on generating electric?
The alternator on a little outboard is next to useless.

Always a concern with an outboard; that and petrol availability.

Edited by Guest

Indeed it is.

I dont think an outboards alternator would have a prayer of keeping up with even our modest power consumption.

IIRC the Honda outboard I saw had an 8 Amp charging output.

I think before the pack start turning on one another over what heating is best and what can and can't be done on a yoghurt pot the very first thing to ask is has he got mains hook up for electric or not, if so an oil filled rad will suffice, secondly with regard to insulation I would add none, if you have electric,an oil filled rad left on low will keep a 22 ft boat toastie warm as it is, plus grp reacts much quicker to outside tempatures than a steel one and if you lash insulation everywhere it will be like an oven in the summer, I normally park up in the shade or I need cooling fans on in the summer and lastly he's a young lad and still buzzing with health and fitness so can probably

Stand up to roughing it a lot better than the majority of us slightly older and much softer types who enjoy a few home comforts, so let's not piss on his fire before he's begun as he is the next generation boater and should be encouraged as much as possible but without the risk of death thrown in

• Greenie 2

How is your son planning on generating electric?

The alternator on a little outboard is next to useless.

mine manages to keep two leisure and one starter going with the help of a small solar panel that I put up when I,m moored it's a fifteen horse honda,quite new and the gauge goes up to just over fourteen amps when it's running plus I have the advantage of just pulling the cord to start it if I do run the battery's down to much,but it still goes back to my original point as to wether he has hook up or not if so engine size becomes irrelevant

I think before the pack start turning on one another over what heating is best and what can and can't be done on a yoghurt pot the very first thing to ask is has he got mains hook up for electric or not, if so an oil filled rad will suffice, secondly with regard to insulation I would add none, if you have electric,an oil filled rad left on low will keep a 22 ft boat toastie warm as it is, plus grp reacts much quicker to outside tempatures than a steel one and if you lash insulation everywhere it will be like an oven in the summer, I normally park up in the shade or I need cooling fans on in the summer and lastly he's a young lad and still buzzing with health and fitness so can probably

Stand up to roughing it a lot better than the majority of us slightly older and much softer types who enjoy a few home comforts, so let's not piss on his fire before he's begun as he is the next generation boater and should be encouraged as much as possible but without the risk of death thrown in

I don't think anybody is pissing on his fire to be fair (yet!), though I understand your concern. There are some pitfalls that need to be avoided, and often a range of opinions will help a new starter.

You are correct re. younger people; I have read about people who live healthily in tents in the UK all year round, so living in a GRP boat is luxury.

mine manages to keep two leisure and one starter going with the help of a small solar panel that I put up when I,m moored it's a fifteen horse honda,quite new and the gauge goes up to just over fourteen amps when it's running plus I have the advantage of just pulling the cord to start it if I do run the battery's down to much,but it still goes back to my original point as to wether he has hook up or not if so engine size becomes irrelevant

14 amps is actually very good, higher than the one I saw. Sometimes our 90A alternator on the diesel is putting out little more than that.

Being able to hand start an engine is superb. My first NB had a hand crank which easily started the engine if needed (no glow plugs either.)

I agree re. solar.

My '24 has a diesel inboard and if his is the same then I can safely say that with a healthy leisure battery he should have no problem running gas powered air blown heating and as NC mentioned I would recommend this method. I've had my cruiser 3 years and am very happy with it though I just use it for leisure. When I go on it for a week or so I tend to use the facilities blocks for showering, and for hot water I boil the kettle! It's comfy enough but, because of the size and the basic nature, a little impractical for my liking for staying on any length of time (by that more than a couple of weeks)

I guess cruisers are named aptly - they're for cruising on, not so much living on. But fair play to him for 'getting on the ladder', hope it works out and he enjoys it!

Edited by Philip

I have a Dawncraft 22 with a small pot belly stove (and with suitable storage for petrol no worries!). He won't need a radiator. I have carpet on some walls, other places eg up under the bow deck, I used thin silver foil bubble insulation, could have put that behind the carpet too. Get led lights for a start, that will help a lot to conserve power if just on 12v. Good luck to him.

After all the other comments, if he intends to re-sell and try to recoup his costs after a year, I would recommend not doing any permanent alterations from the delivered state, as most permanent modifications will reduce the value when it comes to selling. not increase it. If he need a permanent heater, then install a blown air, gas fired system, as they are easier to sell to people who just want a cosy boat for the odd nippy night aboard. Temporary insulation such as clingfilm over the windows, leaving the ventilation intact, of course, maybe some quilting taped to the roof and walls, but removable when sale time comes. As the cabin is so small, he won't need much in the way of heating power. I speak as one who has lived in uninsulated caravans for many years with either a 2 kilowatt fan heater or the same power gas heater to keep warm with. Cosy, they were.

I have a Dawncraft 22 with a small pot belly stove (and with suitable storage for petrol no worries!). He won't need a radiator. I have carpet on some walls, other places eg up under the bow deck, I used thin silver foil bubble insulation, could have put that behind the carpet too. Get led lights for a start, that will help a lot to conserve power if just on 12v. Good luck to him.

Here here proof of pudding.

A fiberglass cruiser adapted to live on is not about making money its about not having to rent out a flat in a shit hole for example while trying a fantastic new way of life.

My friend on our mooring lives in a fiberglass dawncraft, insulated with jabber board has a wood burner and is lovely and warm!

Hot water can be heated on a gas stove in a kettle or on the stove and there is plenty room for a camper size shower just look at a vw t5 camper for example.

We are in Manchester/Hyde you are welcome to come down with your son to get some advise from people who are doing it just pm me.

Edited by floatsyourboat
  • Greenie 1