Roving Traders Question

jollymoggy

Featured Posts

Just the business license if your running a business from your boat - note it is only good for CRT waters unless you get a Gold business license, which covers the non-tidal Thames as well

ETA - as Scrumpy has stated, it's not just a case of paying the fee, you will need to apply for a business license and met the criteria for it, before it is issued.

Edited by Bettie Boo

Look at the above link it will give you links to the appropriate pages on the CRT website. You can't just get a trading licence. You have to put a proposal into CRT and they have to accept it before they will issue you with a roving traders licence. it may not take long or it may take a few weeks before they accept your proposal depending on what you intend to trade. Don;t forget that you also need the appropriate PL insurance. Your current insurer may be able to tag that onto your current policy as an add on. Ask for an endorsement for hatch sales.......course if you are planning to be selling coal, diesel etc then its a whole different ball game. Leeds CRT office is where you apply. And don't forget you will need to register with the taxman.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/boating-businesses/application-process-and-fees

Details all the types of licences available.........no such thing as a gold business licence.....if there ever was it doesn't exist now all these licences were revamped and repriced last year. You won't be able to trade on the Thames or even cruise the Thames with a RTL unless you buy the appropriate licence to allow you you to cruise, not the River Nene or any EA water nor the Bridgewater. but you can purchase a Bridgewater trader licence

Edited by tillergirl

Just the business license if your running a business from your boat - note it is only good for CRT waters unless you get a Gold business license, which covers the non-tidal Thames as well

ETA - as Scrumpy has stated, it's not just a case of paying the fee, you will need to apply for a business license and met the criteria for it, before it is issued.

I dont think there is such a thing as a Gold trader Licence

There is definitely a Gold Business License

ETA - I believe it was discontinued for some time, but has once again been made available

Please tell me more because I have never heard of this.

It IS possible for a trader to have a Gold Licence (we did it a couple of years ago). This covers Trading on CaRT waters and Cruising on the Thames, but does NOT cover trading on the Thames or other EA waters.

To answer the OP, there are not separate CC and Trading Licences, you have just one Licence, tell CaRT what you want to do and get the correct single licence.

..........Dave

To explain a bit better, a boat has either a standard leisure licence or a trading licence, and in either case you may also declare that you do not have a home mooring.

.............Dave

It IS possible for a trader to have a Gold Licence (we did it a couple of years ago). This covers Trading on CaRT waters and Cruising on the Thames, but does NOT cover trading on the Thames or other EA waters.

To answer the OP, there are not separate CC and Trading Licences, you have just one Licence, tell CaRT what you want to do and get the correct single licence.

..........Dave

To explain a bit better, a boat has either a standard leisure licence or a trading licence, and in either case you may also declare that you do not have a home mooring.

.............Dave

Thanks for the help people. I'm glad its just the single licence. I guess my first step now will be to see whether CaRT like my proposal.glare.gif

..........Dave

.............Dave

I won't, at this time, go into the nitty gritty details, but will say that I have first hand knowledge that a Gold business license is currently available, and for at least one type of business, it does indeed mean the holder is allowed to conduct their business on both CRT & non-tidal Thames waters.

I won't, at this time, go into the nitty gritty details, but will say that I have first hand knowledge that a Gold business license is currently available, and for at least one type of business, it does indeed mean the holder is allowed to conduct their business on both CRT & non-tidal Thames waters.

There might be something for hire/hotel boats (if they need it) but I really am not aware of anything for roving traders.

The thing is there is no towpath as such on the Thames (or the Nene etc) and so almost all potential trading sites are owned by a council or a private landowner, and so EA could not really give permission for bankside trading. There are a couple of Roving Traders on the Thames who I believe do not get any "trouble" from EA.

To the OP there is already a very successful doggie trading boat (Golden Boyz) though this should not stop you, there are already multiple sweety boats, craft boats, fender boats and cheese boats.

..............Dave

There might be something for hire/hotel boats (if they need it) but I really am not aware of anything for roving traders.

The thing is there is no towpath as such on the Thames (or the Nene etc) and so almost all potential trading sites are owned by a council or a private landowner, and so EA could not really give permission for bankside trading. There are a couple of Roving Traders on the Thames who I believe do not get any "trouble" from EA.

To the OP there is already a very successful doggie trading boat (Golden Boyz) though this should not stop you, there are already multiple sweety boats, craft boats, fender boats and cheese boats.

..............Dave

I have a roving traders permit for the canal. I've also emailed the EA before about trading on the Thames. To my knowledge there are still only two options for registering a launch on the Thanes: private or for hire. The EA themselves told me neither is applicable for trading in the same way as we do on the canal towpath.

Not only that but due to the nature of the ownership of the land along the Thames, you would likely be trading on either private property or would be subject to street trading regulations from the local authority.

Having said all this, if it has changed recently I would be really interested in knowing since the gold licence starts from January and I could still get in for one now.

I was considering running a brothel but CRT said there wouldn't be much demand for soup. blink.png

Thats not a bad idea, there are lots of ex hire boats available with lots of bedrooms. I think the problem is that CaRT will classify you as a "High Risk" trader and so require you to have some sort of formal qualification.ohmy.png

..............Dave

..............Dave

Sorry, to avoid any further misunderstanding, the knowledge I was making reference too, was not in line with a business type of which has now been made clear by the OP in which a tow path or similar would be required. I have little to no knowledge of such business license regulations.

The gold business license I have experience with and was making reference to, does not require a tow path or similar for temporary static trading practice.

Again, sorry for any confusion I may have caused

Sorry, to avoid any further misunderstanding, the knowledge I was making reference too, was not in line with a business type of which has now been made clear by the OP in which a tow path or similar would be required. I have little to no knowledge of such business license regulations.

The gold business license I have experience with and was making reference to, does not require a tow path or similar for temporary static trading practice.

Again, sorry for any confusion I may have caused

That's Ok Bettie.... if there had been such a licence for a RT I would have had one believe me!

Where is Kate Saffin when you need her.

Probably writing............or least thats what I heard she was trying to do

Thats not a bad idea, there are lots of ex hire boats available with lots of bedrooms. I think the problem is that CaRT will classify you as a "High Risk" trader and so require you to have some sort of formal qualification.ohmy.png

..............Dave

No names, no pack drill as they say, but it's already been done!

George ex nb Alton retired