Diagrams of boats

Orphiel

Featured Posts

what's this called?

That tunnel hook in my previous post is forged and not cast (I've got a really good anorak).

You'll need the anorak for walking the towpath soon. If you keep using those steps for carrying all this ironwork she'll dive to the bottom of the cut. :banghead:

Lock74GUCDEC06.jpg

what's this called?

That tunnel hook in my previous post is forged and not cast (I've got a really good anorak).

That's the hook that goes on the back deck of a motor instead of the dolly. If these are examples of what your magnets are pulling out then I'm off to ebay. My sea searcher might just about get these to the bank and, if I'm lucky, finish the job with a keep net.

Lucy's cabin t has the threaded bit like your skinny stud but the profile of the fat one. I can't tell if the fat ones threaded or not. If not then some of the wooden boats had their studs and dollies 'burnt into the hole'.

If you ever feel the urge to part with the deck hook btw, I know a tar boat counter it would look lovely on (one day). I did have the hook and dolly lined up off Antares when she was broken up but the alcoholic who was bringing them to me ran out of beer half way, so sold them (again) to someone else. :banghead:

Edited to say: You're not fishing off the banks of tesco's car park by any chance, are you? (Walkers old yard)

Edited by carlt

Sorry the deck hook is going on NB Sudbury, a cut down Northwich belonging to a friend, which has terrible BW dollies on it at the moment he's going to have wood cants made and fit the deck hook and a nice old GUCC dolly I found, one of those worn down ones....

Both of those tee studs have threads and I have another one which has a spike which has snapped and another one was found by the owner of NB Sudbury again one which had snapped. What I haven't found yet is the Nursers Snakes...

'Deck hook' makes sense.

edited to say yes I am fishing off Walkers yard but only interesting thing from that particular location is a long piece of 21/2 inch rubbing strake.

Oh yes and a little oval enamel 'WH WALKER BUILDER RICKMANSWORTH' name plate.

Edited by magnetman

What I haven't found yet is the Nursers Snakes...

'Deck hook' makes sense.

Chuck your magnet in Raymond's back cabin. There's a pair in there that they still haven't bothered fitting. Lucy's still got hers (and all the original ironwork), she's also got the original slack boards still fitted. The only running gear missing are the top plank rollers and, apparently, some short stands which supported the top plank when the tarps were dropped. These, I believe were given away in the 80's in exchange for a tow to Runcorn. If anyone has any of the rollers I'd love to borrow them so I can make up replicas.

Were these rollers iron or wood?

They were iron concave rollers in a semicirular wooden block (the running block). Rumour has it that Rose Whitlock gave the originals to a friend who lives in the village but extensive enquiries haven't turned them up.

You could modify the cast iron rollers fitted behind the rack on ground paddles to do the same job if someone put one on a lathe they could turn it out to a concave section.

I could get some made up easily enough, it's just getting the right measurements. It's so far down the list though, genuine ones will probably turn up before I need them.

Why do rudders (all? some? most?) have a piece at the back edge that sticks up, with a hole through it?

Is it for a rope, to enable it to be removed while the boat's in the water, without dropping it?

Why do rudders (all? some? most?) have a piece at the back edge that sticks up, with a hole through it?

Is it for a rope, to enable it to be removed while the boat's in the water, without dropping it?

Yes. but it really is there to, enable you, to remove it from the bed of the canal after you have dropped it.

The reason that a motor rudder has the bit sticking up out of the water is to prevent the whole blade from swinging round (for example when in reverse) and fouling the propeller. It hits the back of the steelwork instead, often wearing a significant hole in the rubbing strake.

Not all boats have the hole in the rudder but it is a useful addition and does no harm could be used to recover the rudder etc.

On a similar note...

What are "Bridge Bars"?

I've tried the search facility here and Googled the term, but short of being a pub in SE1 (which I'd be surprised if that came as standard on an ex-hire narrowboat!) I'm none the wiser.

Please enlighten me! :)

Thanks

Lisa

On a similar note...

What are "Bridge Bars"?

I've tried the search facility here and Googled the term, but short of being a pub in SE1 (which I'd be surprised if that came as standard on an ex-hire narrowboat!) I'm none the wiser.

Please enlighten me! :)

Thanks

Lisa

Bridge bars are the curved bars which run from the cabin roof to the v of the front of the boat. They are predominantly used on the Llangollen where the instance of hirers hitting the lift bridges causes so much damage to the cabin the hire companys fit bars. Now when hirers clock the edge of the bridge the curve of the bar simply pushes the boat away from the bridge

Mine had them on when I bought her and were swiftly removed as they make getting onto the front deck a pain in the neck.

I haven't a digi photo of mine before she was stripped of them

**Also known as 'idiot bars' **

Bridge bars are the curved bars which run from the cabin roof to the v of the front of the boat. They are predominantly used on the Llangollen where the instance of hirers hitting the lift bridges causes so much damage to the cabin the hire companys fit bars. Now when hirers clock the edge of the bridge the curve of the bar simply pushes the boat away from the bridge

Mine had them on when I bought her and were swiftly removed as they make getting onto the front deck a pain in the neck.

They're great for rigging up a front end hammock (watch for trees if chilling while underway though).

Edited to say: did I really type 'chilling'?? I'll be growing dreadlocks next.

Edited by carlt

Thanks. That's interesting. I have the details of a boat that I'll hopefully be vewing in the not too distant future, saying it has bridge bars. But a photo taken last month doesn't show what you've described. I guess they've been removed, then.

Cheers.

Here's a hire boat company that features them on their boats.....

(Look at the picture in the heading....)

Link to Claymore Site

As Richard says, they can make working a boat a total nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...
and finally...Electric boat pole (Wassat Maffi???)

Carl

The electric boat pole is connected to what crustry old boaters call Girlie buttons. Being single handed poleing the bow round with a big stick is not easy. You may also know it as a bow thruster, but I think Electric Boat Pole describes its function better. :banned:

Edited by Maffi

Carl

The electric boat pole is connected to what crustry old boaters call Girlie buttons. Being single handed poleing the bow round with a big stick is not easy. You may also know it as a bow thruster, but I think Electric Boat Pole describes its function better. :banned:

Last summer I was stood on the mooring discussing the fragility of Lucy's back end with a fellow wooden boat looney. A boat was going past at 'tutting speed' and, as he went past, I realised that another boat was coming through the bridge hole and there was no way the speeding boat was going to stop in time. The only way the other boat could avoid the collision was to put his power on and steer away, straight towards Lucy's stern. I leapt onto the back deck and had just enough time to think that if I tried to fend off then there'd be broken bones, and if I didn't I would definitely lose the boat. I made the right choice and leapt off again, just as the boater pushed his 'Girlie button', straightened up, backed off the throttle and apologised! Obviously I didn't accept his apology for saving my boat and I have no criticism of electric poles. They may encourage 'lazy boating' (isn't that what it's all about?) but in a crisis they can also avert disaster.

BTW 'Maid of Oak' the brand new wooden boat built by Jem Bates is fully bow thruster equipped.

when i bought my boat it was accomponied with a manual called the boaters handbook i think it was from britishwaterways and a think it is free it tells u most of the terms including the diffrent types of bridges etc you get along the canals