Dare I divorce my Mac for a PC?

starman

Featured Posts

If you change the battery then pay the price and have it done at an Apple shop, i got a so called genuine apple battery on eBay - 40% of an apple shop one, after a month or two it no longer lasts more than 30 mins in my mac book pro

Guess that will teach me

Just use Pages that comes with the Mac.

I use LaTex for text editing running on top of Ubuntu. The great thing about Ubuntu is that they update the bits behind the scenes that make it work but leave the user interface unchanged. Means you don't have the learning brick wall for something like windoze 8.

If you are not doing video or music editing then a PC will be fine. As stated above windows 8 is not the best version of the software, but it is very easy for a first time user to pick up!

Assuming you are not trying to do complex computing and networking, and you just want a simple home computer for web browsing, desk top publishing and watching things, then a windows 8 will work for you, and you may find some advantages in the non-possessive apple nature of the operating system.

I have recently ordered (not yet got my hands on) the Asus t200. It is a laptop, but you can disconnect the screen to make it a tablet. Different versions in different sizes and with different hard drives and memory, but all under £500. Battery life is really good (gets worse with larger screens, for obvious reasons). Only downside to the machine is it has an atom chip, which is not as snappy as some modern machines... But for what you want to use it for it's probably good...

I have done lots of research, and was almost swayed to switch to mac, but have ended up going this route for a balance of battery life and cost. Should arrive in the next week or so, PM me if you want more details or a personal review...

I am using an ASUS laptop at this very moment. Touch screen when I need it, proper keypad when I need that. Loads of battery life. The best laptop I have ever had.

I have enrolled on a photography course at a local college and they use Macs. Having been brought up on Windows, they do my $%^&ing head in! I just don't get why people think they are so brilliant!

I think you will regret it and surely it's worth a punt replacing the battery first?

(MacMini Desktop with Yosemite OSX fan)

I'm on my third battery now (it's a 2006 machine) and there's plenty of life in the current one. Battery life has never been great but has got worse as the machine has got older.

And I'm envious of the battery life of new generation machines. (Recharging the MacBook Pro off the 12v system is quite a current drain)

I use an Asus with Windows 8.1 laptop when I'm out and about, just bought my 79yr old mother-in-law an HP with Windows 8 for Christmas as her old one was getting a bit slow for her (!).

Both are fine, mother-in-law took to hers like a duck to water ... it cost £179.

I replaced the battery on my 2009 Macbook recently. I bought the battery and tools online and did it myself with a youtube tutorial. It was easy-peasy.

I've been using PCs since the late 80s and Macs since the mid-90s. Mostly other people's. I bought my own mac in 2009 and it did take me a few months to really settle down with it. For the first couple of years I was of the opinion that it was much better than any PC I'd tried but didn't quite justify the huge price difference. Over time I've adjusted that view, usually after having to use someone else's PC for a while, once you understand a mac properly there is simply no comparison. If you can afford it, get a mac! I dread the thought of my macbook giving up the ghost because I doubt I could afford a replacement right now! Having said that, it's almost 6 years old and gets daily use and still works perfectly (not something I could say of any PC I've ever owned). Yes, it's expensive and yes you don't 'need' one but that argument leads to some strange places: why buy a car when a bicycle would do? Why eat a nice steak when you can chew on an old bit of gristle? Why have a shower when we could all roll around in our own excrement? cool.png Why buy a Hudson when a Liverpool will get you there? ninja.gif

• Greenie 2

Always a hard one to answer, the Windows/Mac debate. I don't think Windows is necessarily the best system (of the ones I have used), but likely the best one to have. I dislike Windows 8 over 7; Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away (the start menus). I know a start menu can be added, but unless I am missing something it is not quite as comprehensive as the 7 start menu. I have a real soft spot for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, especially the price, but not everybody's cup of tea.

Mac may be better in some ways, but I couldn't justify the price personally.

If you like the Apple, and are not familiar with windows then you may find the switch to windows traumatic.

First choice would be to fix the Apple

If you go the windows route I would try to get a shop to supply a PC with 7 rather than 8.

The Android Tablet is not such a bad idea, or what about the larger iPad?

If you get the iPad it will most likely already know all your personal settings from the macbook.

Unless your computer use is keyboard intensive (writing/programming/spreadsheets) then a tablet should work well.

.............Dave

Second hand mac might be the answer.. second gen Air (avoid first gen, as they have obscure and slow HDD/SSD. Or I would probably go with a 13 inch MacBook Pro with an i3 or i5 (2011-12 or so vintage), then replace the HDD with an SSD (very easy). It'll be quick, and half the price of a new one.

Suspect you could pay for half of it by selling your current MBP.

I'd happily do the HD swap for you if you happen to be around the Notts/Derby area. Might even have some compatible RAM, depending on the model, which you can have for free. I also have a 2006 (silver keyboard) MBP (not used much now), and even with a new apple battery, it only ever got about 4 hours out of a battery - think its the GPU taking all the juice. First gen Air is about the same (it also gets little use!). 2011 two-core 17 inch MBP is about 10 hours, even though its been pounded for several years. Good machine.

Buy a PC without windows and put a Linux distro on it. There are some very Mac like distros out there.

Greenie.

Linux is free (except for the internet link which isn't trivial for a mobile connection) to download and update. More, lots of distributions (means versions) have discs that allow you to run them without installing to your hard disk, then install it if you like this distro. That means you can "try before you buy", and when you do buy, it's still free. And so are almost all the programs! Not that you want it but DTP s/w, costs 500 -2k for Mac or Windows, but costs nothing for Scribus (which is capable of professional publishing, including all print-preparation) Similarly for all the free favourites like Firefox and Thunderbird (which run, almost identically on linux and 'doze) and LibreOffice, which is a superior product to M$ Office that reads (& writes) M$ formats as well as its native, smaller, formats. And the GIMP, which is just as good as PhotoShop.

And ... and ... I could go on far longer than you'd want to read!

Once you've got used to the small differences, you'll never want to go back to the endless problems and expense of Microsoft or Apple products.

Roger

I would stick with a Mac, seriously, for the same spec in a laptop, you will pay a lot more. I spent ages shopping for a new machine and came to that conclusion - Macs are expensive, budget laptops are cheap (but won't last anywhere near as long as a mac does), but as soon as you go for the same spec as a p.c. Laptop, thrn the p.c. Is dearer.

I've currently a Yoga 2 pro which cost the same as an Air but the spec is slightly lower (apart from the screen which is slightly higher res and touch screen) and despite having exactly the same processor as an Air the battery life is 50% less.

You will not get the same battery life on any p.c. Laptop - a Mac will always last far longer. The Chromebooks mentioned are useless for anything much more than a bit of light surfing and office admin.

My previous laptop was an Asus and despite being a top of the range model (£1200) it had started to fall apart and I didnt even get 3 years use out of it - I had 2 Vaio previous to that and each one lasted five years. Hard drive failed, then the mother board went.

I'm happy with the yoga 2 as it enables me to use photoshop and illustrator with a stylus on the screen (macOS version doesnt do this, only win 8), Never had an issue with win 8 but if you're used to Mac Id stick with macOs

I work in the graphic design industry where Mac is the unit of choice - and I hate them!

I can do everything that the Mac does on PC (XP or Windows 7) quicker and easier.

The software works, the PC print dialogue is a doddle compared to the convoluted Mac systems.

Cost of the PC is a fraction of the comparable Mac.

I hate the way everyone says that we should all have a Mac, ipad, iphone etc since they all talk to each other ........ use drop box, once set up its easy and produces basically the same result.

Why are we all so polarised, we either love or hate Mac and/or PC, very little middle ground.

Greenie.

Linux is free (except for the internet link which isn't trivial for a mobile connection) to download and update. More, lots of distributions (means versions) have discs that allow you to run them without installing to your hard disk, then install it if you like this distro. That means you can "try before you buy", and when you do buy, it's still free. And so are almost all the programs! Not that you want it but DTP s/w, costs 500 -2k for Mac or Windows, but costs nothing for Scribus (which is capable of professional publishing, including all print-preparation) Similarly for all the free favourites like Firefox and Thunderbird (which run, almost identically on linux and 'doze) and LibreOffice, which is a superior product to M$ Office that reads (& writes) M$ formats as well as its native, smaller, formats. And the GIMP, which is just as good as PhotoShop.

Once you've got used to the small differences, you'll never want to go back to the endless problems and expense of Microsoft or Apple products.

Roger

if you are easily pleased this is true. for professional use you get what you pay for.

even on Linux the professional stuff is paid for cPanel for instance without which you can't run a web server is pretty expensive by any platform standard.

whoever it was up the thread who suggested a 2011 MacBook Pro was pretty well on the button but stick with Snow Leopard and it will do everything you need.

and, incidentally both Windows and Macos are free they come with the machine.

life's too short to evaluate Linux distros to find one that does what you need without falling over or a degree level knowledge of computing. with so many variables support is non existent unless, of course, you pay for it

if Linux didn't have Apache and MySQL it would have died years ago except for a few geeks who would rather fiddle than use - appropriate for the boating world perhaps.

Edited by Alf Roberts

Greenie.

Roger

Unfortunately this is not my experience of using Linux at all. It may indeed be free which is good but I have failed on at least three occasions now to get it up and running properly on a PC. By that I mean satisfactorily working with the PC and equally importantly with ALL the peripherals. Conversely whilst Windows has its issues it in the main just 'works' with minimal user input to get things like routers and printer/scanners working properly.

To me being free was not a good enough reason to justify persevering with it and I gave up vowing never to waste time again trying. Of course I accept this may not be every bodies experience but it certainly has been mine.

Edited by The Dog House

I run four Linux servers and write open source software, so I'm far from hostile to it, but for desktop use the creative apps are nowhere near their paid-for equivalents. Inkscape is embarrassingly clunky next to Illustrator, and though I'm no great Photoshop fan I find it much, much easier and more powerful than the GIMP.

On the Mac you also get a bunch of really good small, easy-to-use programs from indie developers. By and large the Linux equivalents don't have the same polish or ease of use.

if Linux didn't have Apache and MySQL it would have died years ago except for a few geeks who would rather fiddle than use - appropriate for the boating world perhaps.

Why anyone would choose MySQL over Postgres in 2015, except for legacy reasons, is beyond me. smile.png

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

I run four Linux servers and write open source software, so I'm far from hostile to it, but for desktop use the creative apps are nowhere near their paid-for equivalents. Inkscape is embarrassingly clunky next to Illustrator, and though I'm no great Photoshop fan I find it much, much easier and more powerful than the GIMP.

On the Mac you also get a bunch of really good small, easy-to-use programs from indie developers. By and large the Linux equivalents don't have the same polish or ease of use.

Why anyone would choose MySQL over Postgres in 2015, except for legacy reasons, is beyond me. smile.png

Because huge amounts of code are already written in PHP/MySQL and it's already installed on many webservers.

(oh and one small word: Wordpress)

Which, continuing wildly off-topic, probably means that Postgres is probably a sensible option for a bespoke system coded from scratch but most of us in a production environment need to use frameworks.

A framework, to be database independent, making a switch to Postgres feasible, would need all database calls on an abstraction layer. Unfortunately given the large user bases of such frameworks, moving such juggernauts means we end up with MySQL (it does the job) rather than Postgres (it does the job better).

I am also a fan of keeping textual content separate from graphic content and, punching above my pay grade, seems to imply MySQL plus a good webserver makes a lighter solution than an integrated database using Postgres.

Edited by Alf Roberts

In my experience, Windows' biggest pitfall is it's vulnerability to viruses, and consequent need for AV.

It all starts off rosy until the anti-virus software gets hold of if, then it just slowly grinds to a halt.

I have not used AV software for the last 2 years on the Windows computers at work, and they just about cope, but add in Mr McAfee etc. and they soon become unusable.

If you do a fresh install of Win 7, which is needed every year or so, your next several day's computing will consist of watching all the updates install.

I now do all my web surfing on an iPad, which is vastly superior to my previous quad core, all singing Hewlett Packard laptop running Win 7 (every bit as expensive as a MacBook) ....... good riddance I say.

Meanwhile, for all my other stuff, the desktop Mac is just plain lovely, worth every penny.

To the OP, buy a new battery!!

Edited by Kwacker

I've never had a problem with viruses, though. Maybe you need to swap your anti virus for one that's not so resource heavy? I know the ones that they flog with new laptops are often a bad idea and really slow the machine down. But my pc laptops don't slow down over time, maybe yes they did in the old win 2000/xp days they did but not now. This laptop boots up in 6 seconds, I've had it since June and have not noticed any slowing. But I love the ipad though and would never swap it for android (despite having an Android phone)

I've never had a problem with viruses, though. Maybe you need to swap your anti virus for one that's not so resource heavy? I know the ones that they flog with new laptops are often a bad idea and really slow the machine down. But my pc laptops don't slow down over time, maybe yes they did in the old win 2000/xp days they did but not now. This laptop boots up in 6 seconds, I've had it since June and have not noticed any slowing. But I love the ipad though and would never swap it for android (despite having an Android phone)

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, it works as far as keeping the nasties out, it doesn't seem to cause the PC to slow at all, and best of all it's free!

Agree on the iPad thing too, I can't recall the last time I fired up my laptop, if I need something else I just use my desktop. The iPad is probably used about 80% of the time nowadays though.

There are just a couple of things I can't usefully use the iPad for otherwise it would be nearer 100%.

If you have an iPad getting an iPhone rather than Android is worth thinking about as they can be very usefully linked together so that you can for example take an incoming call on your iPad if the phone is nearby and on the same network. The same goes for FaceTime too. You can also send texts and iMessages from both devices and they synchronise seemlessly so that all your messages show up in both devices.

Edited by The Dog House

II've currently a Yoga 2 pro which cost the same as an Air but the spec is slightly lower (apart from the screen which is slightly higher res and touch screen) and despite having exactly the same processor as an Air the battery life is 50% less.

The QHD screen on the Yoga 2 Pro has over 4x as many pixels as the MB Air which may help explain the lower battery life.

Agree about antivirus, best to get rid of the likes of McAffee, and put on something reasonably decent like Avast.

BTW does your Yoga 2 Pro have an SSD or normal HDD? Apparently the Yoga 2P can take both which might be handy.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

if you are easily pleased this is true. for professional use you get what you pay for.

even on Linux the professional stuff is paid for cPanel for instance without which you can't run a web server is pretty expensive by any platform standard.

whoever it was up the thread who suggested a 2011 MacBook Pro was pretty well on the button but stick with Snow Leopard and it will do everything you need.

and, incidentally both Windows and Macos are free they come with the machine.

life's too short to evaluate Linux distros to find one that does what you need without falling over or a degree level knowledge of computing. with so many variables support is non existent unless, of course, you pay for it

Linux is not restricted to Apache and MySql - My servers use NginX, Apache and Nginx combined, MariaDB, PostgreSQL and others....

I also have servers with no cPanel installed and they work just fine as a web server using with no GUI or some free ones

Edited by EEng

The QHD screen on the Yoga 2 Pro has over 4x as many pixels as the MB Air which may help explain the lower battery life.

Agree about antivirus, best to get rid of the likes of McAffee, and put on something reasonably decent like Avast.

BTW does your Yoga 2 Pro have an SSD or normal HDD? Apparently the Yoga 2P can take both which might be handy.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

SSD and yep, I use Avast. Its for pirates, with a name like that obviously.

SSD and yep, I use Avast. Its for pirates, with a name like that obviously.

Ah OK good stuff.

Came across a forum for them the other day, looks useful (if you have an afternoon to kill... smile.png)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Yoga-Flex-Laptops-and/bd-p/ll01_en

Looks like the Y2P SSD is upgradeable (just about) if need be.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete