Marina Near Banbury

mark99

Featured Posts

Followed by Cropredy and Kingsground

I thought of Cropredy, but unless your definition of "south" is different from mine, it would be out of his preferred geographical area.

If North if Banbury is a possibility, how about Clattercote Wharf? It's not a marina but it offers secure offside moorings.

Kingsground is the only one I can think of south of Banbury.

Even that isn't a proper marina, rather finger moorings with unrestricted access to people who know it's there.(Although other boaters living there will be quick to challenge unknown faces.)

MtB

Thanks plenty of ones to follow up.

We are going from Non Caucasian Jacks Lock, Harefield - up the GU (as it's easier going UP the GU) to Braunston, down the Oxford. Then off to Thames, up to Lechlade and then float down back on Thames to Brentford and back to start on the GU. Thames ring I guess.

With a gap in between - somewhere along the Oxford to moor seems logical.

Edited by mark99

The pig farm at Nells bridge offer overnight moorings on the farm staging and on the off side the last time I passed. Maybe they would give a quote.

Known as "The Pig Place"

http://www.narrowboatsmallholding.co.uk/

A charming and idealistic place which reminds me of the whimsical 70's TV programme "The Good Life"

MtB

(Edit to add quote.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Known as "The Pig Place"

http://www.narrowboatsmallholding.co.uk/

A charming and idealistic place which reminds me of the whimsical 70's TV programme "The Good Life"

MtB

(Edit to add quote.)

It used to be so - in the past we have parked there a couple of times and bought from them. But I heard that they had suffered a major burglary and had since sold up. Is it still open?

It used to be so - in the past we have parked there a couple of times and bought from them. But I heard that they had suffered a major burglary and had since sold up. Is it still open?

News to me! They were open a month ago, I bought smokeless fuel and food in the shop as I passed. Or is this more recent than that?

They seem keen on their classic cars too, various bits of old and interesting automotive machinery dotted around the place including an Austin A35 van signwritten in their trading style, a 1970s Rolls Royce, and various kit cars.

MtB

P.S. I meant also to say this would be sad news if true.

News to me! They were open a month ago, I bought smokeless fuel and food in the shop as I passed. Or is this more recent than that?

They seem keen on their classic cars too, various bits of old and interesting automotive machinery dotted around the place including an Austin A35 van signwritten in their trading style, a 1970s Rolls Royce, and various kit cars.

MtB

P.S. I meant also to say this would be sad news if true.

Two or three years ago, I would guess.

Not surprised to see it for sale, I really can't imagine it making good money from small scale pig breeding, holiday caravan pitch rental, and flogging coal to passing narrowboats. Certainly not enough to justify the capital investment.

But an idyllic hobby business for people with independent means, I suspect.

MtB

We stopped at The Pig Place in June for electrickery. Seems OK. When we went past 1st January there did not seem to be space for any boats any more... but here's their site:

http://www.narrowboatsmallholding.co.uk/index.htm

We were at Clattercote Wharf July to October and it is a nice quiet spot. Here's the site:

http://www.forgefarm.com/

Then there's the Twyford Wharf place (they have 2 rental boats I believe) near Kings Sutton, they seemed to have space as we drove past. I mean sailed. I mean chugged.

I personally think the true saying is that you stare along the canal taking in the view cool.png

Not sure about that.

No matter how slow you are going if you take your eye off steering for even a second (to, say read a text, admire a sunset, or even sip your tea) the boat will be up the bank in a FLASH.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Well.... we 'DRIVE' our boat, and we 'PARK' it. Usually I just say 'DUMP' it. However... and here's a funny thing I read this just last night in bed... from Kit Gayford's book The Amateur Boatwomen:

"The men always steered the motor and were known as Steerers, never Captains. For instance, when in the lay-by at Bull's Bridge waiting for orders, you would hear over the loudspeaker, 'Steerer so and so, boat number so and so, you are wanted in the office for orders'. It was always quite a moment when we heard OUR name, and our boat number, for the first time."

So, Steerer MtB, you are quite correct.

Yours, etc. Commander Fox

Not sure about that.

No matter how slow you are going if you take your eye off steering for even a second (to, say read a text, admire a sunset, or even sip your tea) the boat will be up the bank in a FLASH.

MtB

What if you're not in a flash at the time? Would you still run up the bank?

Most flashes are quite wide and shallow. You might not even get to the bank