Slight navigational error....

frangar

Featured Posts

I reckon the MAIB report might make amusing reading.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30671548

Seems they had a pilot on board at the time as well....guess there might be some slightly dented cars on the market as well...

I will feel much better the next time I park it on the mud up the Ashby!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

I will feel much better the next time I park it on the mud up the Ashby!

An annual cricket match takes place in the area where the ship ran aground as the sands are exposed in low spring tides.

Yes, that doesn't sound to have been an optimal place for a vessel of this size to try going!

I reckon somebody was daydreaming or not paying attention to the required journey and took the West channel rather than the East.They realised their mistake and made a quick turn but it was much too late, its very easy to do, we did something very similar going down Dukes cut a few years ago but it was less embarrassing because nobody saw it happen and all we did was to get a bit tangled in an overhanging tree.

..........Dave

I have sailed the Solent for more years than I care to mention in everything from dinghies to serious racing machines. I have occasionally 'touched' the Brambles, but never got stuck.

Big stuff coming in and out of Southampton has to have a Pilot and pretty much always is accompanied by a Pilot Launch riding shotgun. They are very good at guiding the big stuff around the Brambles and keeping the small stuff out of the way.

I really don't understand how this car transporter ended up on the bank, perfect conditions, some of the best charted waters in the world and a fully qualified, experienced Pilot.

The accident report will be interesting.

I reckon somebody was daydreaming or not paying attention to the required journey and took the West channel rather than the East.They realised their mistake and made a quick turn but it was much too late, its very easy to do, we did something very similar going down Dukes cut a few years ago but it was less embarrassing because nobody saw it happen and all we did was to get a bit tangled in an overhanging tree.

..........Dave

When I went onto the Thames at Oxford I went straight across the thames and up the feeder the other side.....some hard reverse was called for as I realised....thankfully there was no traffic about....

Cheers

Gareth

MtB is correct - according to the news conference a list developed leaving Southampton and ship deliberately grounded on Bramble Bank to save a worse eventuality. Nothing further - I am sure the MAIB report will make interesting reading when it eventually is published. List is 52 degrees and no one board so a survey has yet to be carried out - personal safety was first and foremost.

Edited by Leo No2

MtB is correct - according to the news conference a list developed leaving Southampton and ship deliberately grounded on the Brambles to save a worse eventuality. Nothing further - I am sure the MIAB report will make interesting reading when it eventually is published. List is 52 degrees and no one board so a survey has yet to be carried out - personal safety was first and foremost.

That's interesting....hadn't heard that report....guess some of the load shifted or they didn't calculate the loading correctly...i have read it was a "mixed load" so maybe it was different sized vehicles?

I'm guessing that will make recovery even more interesting.

Cheers

Gareth

Interesting

MtB is correct - according to the news conference a list developed leaving Southampton and ship deliberately grounded on Bramble Bank to save a worse eventuality. Nothing further - I am sure the MAIB report will make interesting reading when it eventually is published. List is 52 degrees and no one board so a survey has yet to be carried out - personal safety was first and foremost.

I usually am :D :D :D

Interesting that the intended re-float at high tide this afternoon failed. Suggests the boat has one fekkin' big hole innit, dunnit!

MtB

Interesting

Interesting that the intended re-float at high tide this afternoon failed. Suggests the boat has one fekkin' big hole innit, dunnit!

MtB

The BBC news website says it wasn't taking in water....that might not be true of course...with that much out the water tho I'm guessing a large tide is needed.

Cheers

Gareth

Interesting

MtB

Sometimes! I notice the tides are getting lower (towards neap) so I assume that will make refloating more of a challenge. Edited by Leo No2

Interesting

I usually am biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

MtB

Interesting...

If it has been rammed on the bank it will have gone in quite deep, the bank is mainly loose shingle and silt. A big vessel hitting it hard will be very difficult to get out just due to the action of the next tide, particularly if the load has shifted.

When they pack the cars on the boats they're so tightly packed that there's no space between them. Even if they're all lashed down there's a high probability that many will be damaged. Probably a nice big insurance claim against the shipping line though that doesn't help with the lost sale if your car is one that's been damaged.

Interesting

MtB

I think rather than attempt to refloat this afternoon the salvage planning was being started today, with the salvage company (Switzer) on the way to assesss the situation. It could be a few days at least before attempts to refloat are rstarted. Some reports mention a stability issue, coupled with a fuel transfer operation, just at the time of grounding. If this is the case then it may take a little time to get this sorted, especially if any of the heavier vehicles on board have shifted.

Howard

Interesting...

If it has been rammed on the bank it will have gone in quite deep, the bank is mainly loose shingle and silt. A big vessel hitting it hard will be very difficult to get out just due to the action of the next tide, particularly if the load has shifted.

Yes, the vessel that was on the beach at Blackpool started out looking fine, after a few tides scouring out the sand under the hull it was on its side and had to be cut up

Richard

At that angle of list you could probably drive the Land Rovers out!

Not if they've got earth moving machinery on top of them

I wonder if we will ever know what happened to the crew of eight who have disappeared in the Pentland Firth?

Richard

What's happening there then?

Ah. Nasty piece of water that, I understand. Poor devils indeed

I was reminded of your stern wave through the cabins story when I heard about this wreck. It all seems so safe at sea, then the unexpected happens

Richard