Going East

Martin@75

Featured Posts

We are planning to explore the Witham area next year and it’s many often overlooked side arms & drains can anybody recommend a good boating map/guide? Most seem to omit many locations such as Billinghay or Martin at the end of Timberland. (I have seen the IWA map for WND & we are great fans of the TNC so will try and follow in some footsteps but feel we need more info).

We are planning to explore the Witham area next year and it’s many often overlooked side arms & drains can anybody recommend a good boating map/guide? Most seem to omit many locations such as Billinghay or Martin at the end of Timberland. (I have seen the IWA map for WND & we are great fans of the TNC so will try and follow in some footsteps but feel we need more info).

I can't work out what the TNC is . . . the only thing I can come up with is Trent Navigation Company, and they're long gone. I can't recommended any maps or guides because I've never seen any, but it used to be possible to get right into Boston, via Anton's Gowt lock, on some biggish drain that ( I was told ) used to have a lock that dropped into the river near the Docks, and there were other navigable drains that could get you to within about 5 miles of Skegness and Wainfleet. Early Spring is a time to avoid because the water levels are kept low to allow for big amounts of run off from the land at that time of year, and also late Summer because of weed growth by then. Some fairly low bridges and pipe crossings I seem to remember as well. It may have been sorted out now, but there used to be a lot of bricks and stones in a couple of heaps in the bottom of Anton's Gowt lock and you had to keep the boat from catching on them as you went down the lock.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

In the mid 90s we cruised up to South Kyme. The locals were very friendly and even brought their children to say hello. Unfortunately, overnight rain meant we couldn't go on so as to wind due to a low bridge. So reversed back about 2 miles but even so bent the fixed TV aerial under one of the other bridges.

Dropped down onto the drains and round to Boston that way but nowhere in Boston to moor. Moored at Cowbridge with lovely pub and very interesting lock. Next day tried to go up the drain towards the windmill but another bridge stopped us just short of it. No reversing this time as managed to turn in the width of the drain.

Went back in 2012 but it was low water then that stopped us.

Writing this at the breakfast table so can't look up the names of the drains but can recommend the Richlow guide book.

I can't work out what the TNC is . . . the only thing I can come up with is Trent Navigation Company, and they're long gone. I can't recommended any maps or guides because I've never seen any, but it used to be possible to get right into Boston, via Anton's Gowt lock, on some biggish drain that ( I was told ) used to have a lock that dropped into the river near the Docks, and there were other navigable drains that could get you to within about 5 miles of Skegness and Wainfleet. Early Spring is a time to avoid because the water levels are kept low to allow for big amounts of run off from the land at that time of year, and also late Summer because of weed growth by then. Some fairly low bridges and pipe crossings I seem to remember as well. It may have been sorted out now, but there used to be a lot of bricks and stones in a couple of heaps in the bottom of Anton's Gowt lock and you had to keep the boat from catching on them as you went down the lock.

The Tuesday night Club is a great source of info. Link below

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk

Howard

Some will tell you the Witham is boring.

We don't think so and have happily been moored on the Fossdyke for the last seven years.

If you can take the time to explore the towns and villages behind the flood banks.

If you see us out and about give us a shout.

It may not give you much useful info but here is our account of visiting South Kyme, the Black Sluice, and the WNDs in 2011

One problem we had , which is well documented on our WND page, was that the water level was 2" up so we had to abandon our attempt to get through No Man's Friend bridge. The trip to New Bolingbroke however was well worthwhile.

As the others have said the trip is well worthwhile. NB Epiphany (Big John is a CWF member) cruised the Witham, Slea and Navigable Drains in April this year. Following removal of the sand bars at Kyme Eau they were the first boat on the Slea for a couple of years.

http://nbepiphany.co.uk/east

EA have repaired the entrance lock so The Black Sluice (South Forty Foot) Navigation will be open in 2015.

The Richlow Guide is updated regularly and they also publish a blog with updates. The blog also has image galleries of these waterways.

http://www.richlowinfo.blogspot.co.uk/

I too would heartily recommend the Richlow range of guides....the books are very informative and the help I've had from the authors when I forgot to take one of said books on the actual trip due to leaving it in the workshop was above and beyond what I expected.

We enjoyed the journey on the Witham and loved boston both as a mooring and a town. The floating visiting pontoons on the way are very good too. Highly recommend the trip.

Cheers

Gareth

PS a bit further to the East: does anyone know of a decent chart, for the Great Ouse between Denver and Kings Lynn?

I have asked this question on the GOBA forum, and drawn a bit of a blank. It seems odd to have to rely on 1:25,000 OS maps....

I've got some 35(+) year old info on that stretch of river in a notebook that belonged to my father, but it may have changed a lot since then. I can tell you that it's a fairly difficult bit of river until you get to know it, with shoals that bare-out at low water and there can be a small tidal bore in certain conditions on big Springs. If you can't get any published info I could find Dad's old notebook and send you the info out of it. There are tide times (Standard Port is Immingham), depths and bridge heights etc.

Without looking it up, I can remember that the beer in the pub at Denver Sluice wasn't much good and unbelievably expensive.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I've got some 35(+) year old info on that stretch of river in a notebook that belonged to my father, but it may have changed a lot since then. I can tell you that it's a fairly difficult bit of river until you get to know it, with shoals that bare-out at low water and there can be a small tidal bore in certain conditions on big Springs. If you can't get any published info I could find Dad's old notebook and send you the info out of it. There are tide times (Standard Port is Immingham), depths and bridge heights etc.

Without looking it up, I can remember that the beer in the pub at Denver Sluice wasn't much good and unbelievably expensive.

Thank you both. I will take up NC's offer first, I think. The pub at Denver had lots of puddings when I went there in September..

In the mid 90s we cruised up to South Kyme. The locals were very friendly and even brought their children to say hello. Unfortunately, overnight rain meant we couldn't go on so as to wind due to a low bridge. So reversed back about 2 miles but even so bent the fixed TV aerial under one of the other bridges.

Dropped down onto the drains and round to Boston that way but nowhere in Boston to moor. Moored at Cowbridge with lovely pub and very interesting lock. Next day tried to go up the drain towards the windmill but another bridge stopped us just short of it. No reversing this time as managed to turn in the width of the drain.

Went back in 2012 but it was low water then that stopped us.

Writing this at the breakfast table so can't look up the names of the drains but can recommend the Richlow guide book.

Thanks all. So much info, from so many. So one by one, what time of year was your low water? We are planning to go just before or just after the South Kyme gathering in May. I know about late weed but did not know about low spring water levels. "Braggabout" has been through Froghall T, & up to Hertford so not over concerned about Air Draft. But she is a pig at reversing so it would be good to have another boat with us.

The Billinghay bit (skirth) will have to be a "push me pull you" job as there is no winding hole up near "Chamberlain bridge" saying that Reg from the Little boat co took one of his little narrow boats up there a few years back, South Kyme gathering is brill, WND water levels will be up after that i think,try ringing Sam at Grand Sluice lock who i think has the job of riding his bike up to Anton's Gowt and letting the water in. enjoy.

Thanks all. So much info, from so many. So one by one, what time of year was your low water? We are planning to go just before or just after the South Kyme gathering in May. I know about late weed but did not know about low spring water levels. "Braggabout" has been through Froghall T, & up to Hertford so not over concerned about Air Draft. But she is a pig at reversing so it would be good to have another boat with us.

Mid May 2012 was the low water.

The Billinghay bit (skirth) will have to be a "push me pull you" job as there is no winding hole up near "Chamberlain bridge" saying that Reg from the Little boat co took one of his little narrow boats up there a few years back, South Kyme gathering is brill, WND water levels will be up after that i think,try ringing Sam at Grand Sluice lock who i think has the job of riding his bike up to Anton's Gowt and letting the water in. enjoy.

Looks like things are coming together. It all seems to be in the timing. Good to know Black Sluice is back in operation.

Paddy the Billinghay S could need some work as it may not be as clear as it was & TNC were just stopped short of a WH?

The TNC did Sandy Bank Drain (WND) in 2005 but on the 2001 Fenland trip they were stopped on “Castle Dyke by a 5’-11’’ air draft first bridge” with a low pipe adjacent to it (they believed it to be new) anybody know what this low pipe was/is for and if its still in position or has been lifted, the District IDB seem to be very pro boating for obvious reasons and this seems an obvious restriction.

Edited by Martin@75

The main tip I'd give for the WNDs would be that the bridge headroom quoted in the IWA map is pretty accurate but remember it assumes normal water level so check the gauge below Antons Gowt carefully before you proceed. If you read my account you'll have seen that it was being 2" above normal that scuppered our plan to go under No Mans Friend bridge on Sandy Bank Drain. There have been a few boats stuck under that bridge and as a result the farmer there is very strongly anti boats. Also remember that some bridges (eg Bunkers Hill and Westville Road) are circular conduits and the available headroom is limited by the width of the cabin top; if your cabin sides are relatively vertical and if you have cants at the edges instead of a handrail a few inches inboard you will find it a lot tighter at those bridges.

• 2 weeks later...

The main tip I'd give for the WNDs would be that the bridge headroom quoted in the IWA map is pretty accurate but remember it assumes normal water level so check the gauge below Antons Gowt carefully before you proceed. If you read my account you'll have seen that it was being 2" above normal that scuppered our plan to go under No Mans Friend bridge on Sandy Bank Drain. There have been a few boats stuck under that bridge and as a result the farmer there is very strongly anti boats. Also remember that some bridges (eg Bunkers Hill and Westville Road) are circular conduits and the available headroom is limited by the width of the cabin top; if your cabin sides are relatively vertical and if you have cants at the edges instead of a handrail a few inches inboard you will find it a lot tighter at those bridges.

Thanks Allan, Yes, I did look at your site, its good to know the map is about right depending on levels of course.

IMG 0273

Braggabout in Froghall T 2014
Its Billinghay & the WND, Outer Circle, (Castle Dike, West Fen, Sandy Bank, & Newnham). That I am keen on.
Then the 20 ft. Did you get to the New WH on it ?
If so just where is it ?
I think its post the IWA map.
We should be OK on Sandy Back as you can see from the pic'.
Its Castle Bank thats the challenge, Leagate Rd, 2nd pipe, & then the B1192 (4'- 11" on IWA Map). its a long way back from the B1192. going north or south, thats why I was after the A/D on the pipe. As we are in Sydney it a long way to go for a pre trip check.
For Froghall T
CRT give 5'-0" A/D Collins give 5'- 6" beam at 4'-4" A/D
Edited by Martin@75

We visited Boston via the Navigable Drains in 2011.Antons Gowt lock is tricky to get back on the boat(I seem to remember an iron ladder).Cowbridge lock is a curious one off,but is no problem. We found one mooring in Boston ,by the windmill. The drain is brick lined here and only just wide enough to wind a 50ft boat.Possible to go a little farther to the sluice,but not recommended due to low headroom of next bridge.If you need any shopping,you had better brush up on your Polish.(people,not brass)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I seem to have amassed enough info for an Odd Boat Expedition.

The intention being to take in Billinghay Skirth on the 18th/19th April for a look at the new work at Sleaford. (short bus ride)

The EAWA AGM is on the 19th, at Sleaford & Kyme.

Then the Sleaford Nav Gathering (Kyme Eau) on the 1st- 4th May with other side Arms between. (Not got any feedback on Martin/Nocton Delph, Timberland yet).

Then level check & down the drains.

With the Black Sluice now open for business it shall also receive a visit at some time.

Which brings up another question.

William White’s 1842 Lincolnshire Directory, gives a Market Boat being run from Helpringham to Boston “Black Sluice” on Wednesdays. Pigot & Co 1841 Directory confirms that George Elsom was running the boat.

The boats were probably put out of business by the railway in the late 1840’s and George seems to have gone to Canada.

Looking at Google, the Eau seems very small has anybody tried to navigate this past artery of commerce?

On a similar line.

Anybody know the final destination of the Bargate Wharf to Castle Dyke Market boat? I think I have worked out most of the other Market boat destinations.

Any body interested in searching for Stanly in Deepest Central Lincolnshire is welcome along.