chesnuts

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Our stoves must be very different from other people's!

This is not the first time I have seen suggested to cook things in the ash pan.

A thread some time ago suggested it as a way to do baked potatoes - about half a day later we still had several largely uncooked potatoes.

Given a choice of several stoves I can't imagine the ash pans on any of them cooking much at all, based on our attempts in the past!

Where can you get decent chestnuts (I mean on a tree not in a shop) ?

Is it Milton Keynes? There are some amazing apples there but I never found the chestnuts. Or maybe its Cassiobury woods.

Not this old chestnut, again! :lol:

You need to ditch that Kabola alan ;)

or eBay it

joking aside, I think it would probably work if you empty the ash pan then put the item to be cooked in the ash pan under the grate then riddle the fire to drop proper hot ash onto it. that might work.

Is it Milton Keynes? There are some amazing apples there but I never found the chestnuts. Or maybe its Cassiobury woods.

Rarely ripen properly in this country, the only good ones I had were from Victoria park, on the Hertford union.

I get mine from Tescos.

Rarely ripen properly in this country, the only good ones I had were from Victoria park, on the Hertford union.

I get mine from Tescos.

I'm quite near Victoria Park, will have a look :) The Winterville fair is on and I've been told to take the infant units to it. I know they have good conkers there

Surely you already have a shed load on the boat to get rid of the spiders???

Any spiders which turn up I just put them in the ash tray ;)

Boatman stove, Morso squirrel & Bubble multi fuel.

All done beautiful jacket potatoes .

Riddle fire and put fuel on empty ash can put tatties in do not use tinfoil.

Boatman was the quickest put in at advert break turn next advert break remove at third advert break.

Chestnuts and conkers are not the same conkers are poisonous.

You need to ditch that Kabola alan wink.png

or eBay it

joking aside, I think it would probably work if you empty the ash pan then put the item to be cooked in the ash pan under the grate then riddle the fire to drop proper hot ash onto it. that might work.

^ this, wrap spuds in tin foil place in empty ash tray and riddle hot ash on top, works fine, although i have had to cut bigger spud in half to get them to fit

Whole spud, wrapped in tin foil, stick it in the main body of the stove. leave it in for three quarters of an hour for a small baking potato, an hour for a medium sized one, hour and a quarter for a bigger one.

Lemontoes sister came up with a brilliantly effective idea. Form one end of the tin foil wrapping into a sticky out bit to grab hold of with the fire tongs

Our stoves must be very different from other people's!

This is not the first time I have seen suggested to cook things in the ash pan.

A thread some time ago suggested it as a way to do baked potatoes - about half a day later we still had several largely uncooked potatoes.

Have you tried putting coal/wood in the stove and lighting it.

:)

You need a hotter summer than we usually get. You do get them large enough to eat occasionally though. Best chestnuts ever had were from Hockeridge wood, near Berkhamsted, a few years ago, but every year since then they have been too small to bother with.

You need a hotter summer than we usually get. You do get them large enough to eat occasionally though. Best chestnuts ever had were from Hockeridge wood, near Berkhamsted, a few years ago, but every year since then they have been too small to bother with.

Which is why most of the UKs cob nut production was in Kent, also as with most trees they tend to Mast, which means cyclical seasons of heavy/light seed production

the mast times can be years apart

Boatman stove, Morso squirrel & Bubble multi fuel.

All done beautiful jacket potatoes .

Riddle fire and put fuel on empty ash can put tatties in do not use tinfoil.

Boatman was the quickest put in at advert break turn next advert break remove at third advert break.

Chestnuts and conkers are not the same conkers are poisonous.

Must say I assume everyone would know that last bit. it never occurred to me that an individual (who can read) might not know. Fair enough to point it out could save someone a nasty stomach ache !!

:)

Not entirely true.

In a local hotel,where there was a meeting about to start of the national Chess Association. Members were recounting their past triumphs and bragging how quickly they finished off the opposition.

After twenty minutes of listening to this the concierge burst into song,

"Chess Nuts boasting in an open foyer"!!!

Sorry if this has been published before.

Edited by Nightwatch