Manly question about socks

b0atman

Featured Posts

That was a good film though where the Northampton cobblers made the stiletto shoes for transvestites and saved the firm.

It is only expected that ladies would come into this post after so many men invaded their post unless it is to talk about their love of socks for they can be definitely unisex .

That's my favourite film! Kinky Boots! I even bought the soundtrack on CD!

I got my feet tattooed so that I can now match the R & Ls

Whatever happened to Jimmy Cricket comedian with the wellies with R & l on them.

Does anyone darn socks now ?

I had to edit I'd put willies

Edited by b0atman

I got my feet tattooed so that I can now match the R & Ls

Whatever happened to Jimmy Cricket comedian with the wellies with R & l on them.

Does anyone darn socks now ?

I had to edit I'd put willies

I can do a pretty good job at darning socks - my Dad taught me years ago :)

I'm in with my input on socks...sorry fellas no such thing as man only conversation on such an important topic. I love socks.

Once brought my daughter 15 pairs of socks for Christmas...she'd complained of not having any that matched.

She has no sense of humour and some were so pretty.

Always used buy sons same colour cos don't matter when one sock trots off down wormhole then and also they then couldn't complain that some one had pinched their socks..ha ha no proof cos all the same.

I love socks n sandals...must have fashion accessory especially bright socks--yep thats me saves getting feet cold

Talking of keeping socks up for those wishing to wear the long socks then its possible to attach nappy pins to the top of the sock and bottom of ones shirt...dont need to buy any fancy shirt thingys...and guess how I know?

Where fashion is I'm right there with style!

Talking of keeping socks up for those wishing to wear the long socks then its possible to attach nappy pins to the top of the sock and bottom of ones shirt...dont need to buy any fancy shirt thingys...and guess how I know?

blimey !! socks up to your *rse - disna bare thinkin aboot.

The thingy like a mushroom? That's a darning mushroom

6114;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

Richard

OK OK ...

Does "darning socks" mean something different over here?

I was referring to mending a hole in a wool sock....what good would the above wooden mushroom thingy be used in such a undertaking?

left hand is inside sock to receive the needle and wool that the right hand pushes in, then the left hand pushes said needle & wool back out to the right hand - reverse for those left handed folks...well that's how I was taught anyway :)

OK OK ...

Does "darning socks" mean something different over here?

I was referring to mending a hole in a wool sock....what good would the above wooden mushroom thingy be used in such a undertaking?

left hand is inside sock to receive the needle and wool that the right hand pushes in, then the left hand pushes said needle & wool back out to the right hand - reverse for those left handed folks...well that's how I was taught anyway smile.png

I think this video shows the principle - though she is using a lightbulb

I think this video shows the principle - though she is using a lightbulb

ahh - well seems to work, but a lot of faffing around in my opinion. Think I'll stick to Dad's method, but the weaving concept is pretty much the same.

I wonder what happened to them Darning mushrooms most probably gone to the fire god .

Bettie it just shows how technically advanced we used to be in the last century.

I think it was just something the women folk got their husbands to make up, to get them from under foot (no pun intended), keep them busy and out of the local :)

I think I have a darning machine from the 50's around the place somewhere.....there was a darning mushroom type thing but without a handle and a metal contraption with a row of hooks that when you pushed a lever on the side rotated through 180 degrees effectively lifting (web? weft?) alternately so when you used it you actually machine wove a patch over the hole.......sorry if the description is confusing, I have just spent ages on Google trying to find something that looks like it but no joy........If I can find it in the morning I will photograph it