Biomagic

Edders

Featured Posts

We know that toilets are a very personal thing but thought you might like to know about our experience with Biomagic.

Our pump out toilet had been requiring emptying at shorter intervals than when we first had the boat nearly 5 years ago. We had been using "Blue" but it is not good environmentally and only prevents the waste from breaking down.

So we flushed out the waste tank several times and then started to use Biomagic. This eliminated the smell (except when nearly full) but the emptying interval seemed to be about the same. We guessed the tank was "sludged up"

As an experiment, we flushed it out and put in some Biomagic and then did not use the toilet at all for about 6 weeks, (relying on our "emergency" porta potti) and just adding some water and further Biomagic at weekly intervals.

When we pumped out again, we could see in the pump out sight glass on the pipe that the Biomagic had done its job. The waste tank was clean and is now back to original capacity.

We have no connection with Biomagic, just a satified customer.

Edders

Yes, we sell it and have had many good reports on its effectiveness. People especially like its lack of smell compared to 'Blue'

We used it for several months but whereas you can buy Elsan Blue from any chandlery or hardware store and even most garages - once we had used our initial supply (bought from Tony matts at Foxton) we just couldn't find any more . . .

We used it for several months but whereas you can buy Elsan Blue from any chandlery or hardware store and even most garages - once we had used our initial supply (bought from Tony matts at Foxton) we just couldn't find any more . . .

Their website quotes a number of agents, one (at least) will sell it on line, postage sounds to be aroung £7 for 5 litres. Have a look at http://www.biomagicuk.com/8.html Cheers Graham

We only have a Porta Potti - could we use it in that? If not, do you know any other eco-friendly alternatives to Blue?

Yes it worked fine in our Porta Potti - much nicer than the blue/green stuff its just that its difficult to buy when you are out cruising.

Their website quotes a number of agents, one (at least) will sell it on line, postage sounds to be aroung £7 for 5 litres. Have a look at http://www.biomagicuk.com/8.html Cheers Graham

I have just had a look at the site, it looks interesting enough to give it a try. As luck would have it the first Agent on their list is next to my Garage in Bradford on Avon, so finding a supplier will not be a problem.

I had a long chat with them at the NWF during the summer. Apparently it works by supplying the extra oxygen that the bacteria need to complete their biodegrading activities without smelling.

We don't have 'Blue' in our tank, we use a digester that is probably similar to yeast, and it works pretty well. The biomagic people reckoned their product would help that process, so if ever we had a smelly tank etc, we should add some of their product. But I didn't buy any, I'm reasonably happy with the way our tank performs without it.

I have just had a look at the site, it looks interesting enough to give it a try. As luck would have it the first Agent on their list is next to my Garage in Bradford on Avon, so finding a supplier will not be a problem.

Huh!! tried to buy some today, they haven't got any. The guy said " it's very new, we've sold out" but when I asked him if they were getting any more in he said " don't know, doesn't sell very well" At £25 for five litres plus VAT I'm not suprised.

From their website

A 5-litre screw-top bottle @ £25.50. Add £6.50 for Post & Packing.

This size will treat a standard portable toilet up to 100 times. This means with a three-day emptying cycle this will provide treatments for up to 300-days of continuous use for just 8-P a day. This is the most Economical bottle.

So not bad for nearly a years supply if you only use portable toilet.

Edited by bottle

Huh!! tried to buy some today, they haven't got any. The guy said " it's very new, we've sold out" but when I asked him if they were getting any more in he said " don't know, doesn't sell very well" At £25 for five litres plus VAT I'm not suprised.

To right

Spend the £25 fitting a decent sized breather into the holding tank (Mine,s now 32mm) and assisting it with an old compute fan if you area dab hand at DIY.

NO additive & no smell, except in high summer after about 4 weeks use - the it just smells like a salt marsh.

If its the same product that was displaying at a show last year he gave up trying to sell me some when he realized I knew about the bacteria and also had them sorted. You just need lots of air across the liquid surface so the bugs can take up oxygen.

Tony Brooks

A 5-litre screw-top bottle @ £25.50. Add £6.50 for Post & Packing.

This size will treat a standard portable toilet up to 100 times. This means with a three-day emptying cycle this will provide treatments for up to 300-days of continuous use for just 8-P a day. This is the most Economical bottle

So not bad for nearly a years supply if you only use portable toilet.[/size]

I wish someone would tell my family about a three day emptying cycle!

We have a Thetford cassette loo, and with 4 on board, I'm very lucky if we are not switching the cassettes at least once per day.

I don't think we are heavy on the flushing, so perhaps we just drink too much, (or not make sufficient use of pub toilets, secluded hedge rows, etc :cheers: )

I wish someone would tell my family about a three day emptying cycle!

We have a Thetford cassette loo, and with 4 on board, I'm very lucky if we are not switching the cassettes at least once per day.

I don't think we are heavy on the flushing, so perhaps we just drink too much, (or not make sufficient use of pub toilets, secluded hedge rows, etc :cheers: )

Hello Alan

I'll have the same toilet on my boat and from what you're saying the capacity is about four person-days. I expect to be single handed for much of the time and am intending to use Bio Magic from day one, having been convinced of its merits compared with using nothing or blue type stuff. Unless I see a lot of information to the contrary but I haven't so far. It costs but it seems worth it to me. Anything to prevent obnoxious smells.

regards

Steve

Hello Alan

I'll have the same toilet on my boat and from what you're saying the capacity is about four person-days.

Well depends on the person(s) obviously :cheers:

Most of what fills it is liquids, of course, so promoting use of "enough but not too much" flush can help a lot.

I expect to be single handed for much of the time and am intending to use Bio Magic from day one, having been convinced of its merits compared with using nothing or blue type stuff. Unless I see a lot of information to the contrary but I haven't so far. It costs but it seems worth it to me. Anything to prevent obnoxious smells.

regards

Steve

Yes, it doesn't sound that expensive to me, even used with cassette type loos.

Well not compared to most other costs of boat ownership, anyway !

Personally I don't have an issue with the smell of the loo used with conventional "blues".

When cruising, our toilet tends to need emptying so regularly, that nothing unpleasnt stays in there too long.

But if it's just me up at the marina working on the boat, and I know it's not been used for "solids" :help:, then equally I'm happy to leave it part used for weeks on the moorings, and it never seems to smell badly.

Whether I'm happy with putting blue down disposal points is another matter, of course, (although clearly that's what the vast majority of people do do....)

That's a major reason why many retail businesses fail - they assume that there is no demand for something that they have managed to sell out of . . .

:cheers:

Great news!

I have just spoken to the guy at Ace Supplies at Bradford on Avon.

He's going to order a case - will take a few days, he said.

Please don't buy it all before I get there!!

Great news!

I have just spoken to the guy at Ace Supplies at Bradford on Avon.

He's going to order a case - will take a few days, he said.

Please don't buy it all before I get there!!

Biomagic has arrived in Bradford on Avon :banghead:

He says its in 2.5 litre bottles

Please don't buy it all before I get there!

• 4 weeks later...

We ve just ordered some from Whilton Chandlery www.canalshoponline.co.uk

It's not on their website, but they have it in stock, just give them a call.

I thought the guy I spoke to was really friendly and helpful.

neil.

• 8 months later...

Hello, thought I'd revive this thread.

It takes 6-8 weeks to fill our pumpout tank, so it's taken till now to have it flushed out enough times without having the relevant boatyard put blue in there, for it to be fairly poison free. The idea being to use Biomagic or something similar instead.

However, having spent the summer and autumn with no blue in the tank, and no smells... I'm wondering if we need to use anything at all in there. What's the general concensus on this? Is using a product like Biomagic or blue essential to prevent long-term build up of unspeakableness? Or is it just to disguise nasty niffs?

Edited by BlueStringPudding

You can get septic tank treatments from lots of suppliers what they all do is..................

................To KICK START A SEPTIC TANK

Add 1 litre of Mocro-Boost to 5 Litres (1 Gallon) of warm water (30 degrees is ideal). Pour into highest point of effluent system (usually toilet). The bacteria will immeadiately begin to break down any organic material and will reproduce themselves and also produce more enzymes. Onca a septic tank is working it is self substaining. However, if bleach and disinfectant are allowed to enter the Septic Tank, the biologocal activity will be reduced as the friendly bacteria are killed.

Charles

Thankd Charles.

But is it necessary to put anything in there at all?

I would say you would need to start it off in your tank because its been used with blue which may have traces left so the "good" bacteria will need some help. We dont use blue or any additive and never have but had the advantage of a new tank, we use only a trace of bleach or disinfectant on a paper towel to wipe the bowl and throw that in a bin. Sadly people think they have to use blue because most do and they dont understand what alternatives there are, but in truth they are better without it

Hope that Helps

Mr Charles