EE Kite Mobile Broadband Dongle - Aerial socket?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Researching for when Three end my unlimited tethering in January and am looking at various EE offerings.

Their Kite dongle seems good, and they have the option to buy large monthly data bundles, (up to 50Gb).

Having just bought a 4G aerial, I was looking at the Huawei E5372 dongle on Three, which seems to have 2 T9 sockets, but the EE data offerings seem to suit me better. I'd also like to be one of the many that leave Three as I don't like the way they seem to be handling this.

Has anyone got the EE Kite dongle? Does it have any aerial sockets, perhaps hidden under one of the flaps, or under the battery cover, (I've drilled a hole in the back of my Samsung S4 case to fit the aerial in the "secret socket")

Cheers

Richard

I spoke to EE when my contract came up for renewal.

They said none of their dongles/WiFi have aerial sockets.

Bought the Huawei 3572. online.

Long story but because I was a long time contract holder and with a small discussion on the phone, got a sim only deal, with five times the amount of data for less money. biggrin.png

Problem now is I am using all that allowance each month.

I have just bought the Huwaei 5372 from a Three shop for £59 on a PAYG deal, inclusive of a SIM and 1Gb data. It has two TS9 sockets for an external MIMO aerial. I went to unlock it on the Three web site, and found that it is supplied unlocked.! I checked that it is, indeed, unlocked using some free software.

So I'm now waiting for delivery of my free EE SIM, inclusive of 100GB data, mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Such a pity that the Swedish Police seem to have just closed down a well known website.............

I have just bought the Huwaei 5372 from a Three shop for £59 on a PAYG deal, inclusive of a SIM and 1Gb data. It has two TS9 sockets for an external MIMO aerial. I went to unlock it on the Three web site, and found that it is supplied unlocked.! I checked that it is, indeed, unlocked using some free software.

That's handy, their phones have been supplied unlocked for a while now; was wondering about the MiFi units. Edited by Eeyore

So I'm now waiting for delivery of my free EE SIM, inclusive of 100GB data, mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

New to all this and wondering….

How does the free EE Sim work out ? Approximately how much ?

Such a pity that the Swedish Police seem to have just closed down a well known website.............

5372 works well with the EE sim 20meg+ with no external antenna.

When the free data runs out will be getting an EE deal (unless 3 have 4g running by them) and flog the EE Modem.

Edited by Loddon

Researching for when Three end my unlimited tethering in January and am looking at various EE offerings.

Their Kite dongle seems good, and they have the option to buy large monthly data bundles, (up to 50Gb).

Having just bought a 4G aerial, I was looking at the Huawei E5372 dongle on Three, which seems to have 2 T9 sockets, but the EE data offerings seem to suit me better. I'd also like to be one of the many that leave Three as I don't like the way they seem to be handling this.

Has anyone got the EE Kite dongle? Does it have any aerial sockets, perhaps hidden under one of the flaps, or under the battery cover, (I've drilled a hole in the back of my Samsung S4 case to fit the aerial in the "secret socket")

Wonder if it's worth waiting for an offer like this, 4G tablet with 10GB/month for £10/month for 24 month, use the tablet as a mifi (do read all small print though).

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/10gb-4g-data-sim-10-a-month-free-alcatel-onetouch-pop-7s-ee-nationwide-2082692

With the cost of phones coming down, instead of a dongle with no aerial socket I wonder if it's better to get a cheap SIM free phone and use that as a Mifi.

Santa is bringing me a cheap 4G phone so will be interested to see how well it picks up 4G, and for 3G compared to the phones I have at the moment.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Anyone know? ?

Pretty sure L1 is the aerial socket.

Thats the one I've been using with my Threr One Plan Sim in the phone. Was only getting fast 3G, 25Mb/s or so at best.... which is relatively fast!

However, I've just put the Limited Edition EE Sim in, attached the aerial to L1,and I'm getting 4G,with 52Mb D/l and 35Mb U/l. Quite impressive... currently watching Iplayer in HD, with no hesitation or buffering so far :)

I initially thought L1 was for 3G, and R1 was for 4G, but it seems not. I dont know what R1 is for now.

Edited by Richard10002

"Where do I plug my patch lead in?

The Telstra Samsung Galaxy S4 4G has two external antenna ports L1 and R1. When connecting your Galaxy S4 to an external 4G antenna it's important to only use the L1 port. The R1 Port is used to improve 3G services. These ports are auxiliary ports, not switching connectors, the internal antenna will remain active and the device will choose based on which receives stronger signal."

I've tried the R1 port when receiving both 3G and 4G signals and it improves nothing.

Using L1 improves both 3G and 4G services.

My aerial is suitable for both 3G and 4G signals.

Its vaguely possible that the R1 port can differentiate between an aerial that receives only 3G signals, but I doubt it.

R1 remains a mystery to me :)