Diesel fumes ?

colmac

Featured Posts

Have just read an article about Paris banning diesel vehicles from the city due to the health risks associated with diesel fumes and it got me wondering; when we are steering the boat in and out of locks we must be breathing in concentrated fumes in the lock chamber and what are the subsequent harmful effects of this ? Does anyone ever wear a mask ? Apologies if this subject has been covered already.

The ridiculous part about the Paris ban is that cars have been fitted with DPFs (diesel particle filers) for 15 years, the air is now cleaner than ever.

Ref boats - some people turn off their engines when in a lock, others have a tall exhaust so that they aren't getting the fumes in the face.

Its up to you.

We tend to try and turn our engine off in locks where possible.

Wouldn't that put quite a strain on the batteries and starter motor if you were doing several locks such as Tardebigge ?I suppose single handers have the advantage here as they are generally on the lock-side ?

Wouldn't that put quite a strain on the batteries and starter motor if you were doing several locks such as Tardebigge ?I suppose single handers have the advantage here as they are generally on the lock-side ?

Possibly. But I would rather it put extra strain on batteries and starter motor which are replaceable items then on my heath which is not!

Is it me, or do I recall some years ago a study that came to the conclusion that diesel fumes were actually good for you?

I think it must have been one of those "fish and chips are good this week but dangerous next week" things.

On a boat in a narrow lock water drops going down filling lock with fresh air so dilution is good.

In a narrow lock going up exhaust fumes being warm will be pushed out of lock as water level rises.

I suppose answer is fetch back the horse drawn boats .

Cyclists will be less of a problem and dog poo will be minor problem compared to hoss muck

Our engine is going through a smokey phase at present and it does concern me. As non boaters become more restricted in the use of their motor cars it is only a matter of time before they, and the politicians, turn their interest towards the cut. It is possible to get retro-fit particulate filters but they are expensive and more seriously I doubt if our lazy engines would reach the required exhaust temperatures. Maybe we will need to do what the lumpy water boaters do and discretely pump and gurgle our exhausts into the water. It will be very sad not the see that wonderful plume of black smoke as a vintage engine accelerates its flywheel.

...........Dave

The ridiculous part about the Paris ban is that cars have been fitted with DPFs (diesel particle filers) for 15 years, the air is now cleaner than ever.

Ref boats - some people turn off their engines when in a lock, others have a tall exhaust so that they aren't getting the fumes in the face.

Its up to you.

DPFs were mandated from 2009 onwards with Euro 5. It's true that manufacturers started to introduce them a bit before 2009 but in 2000 we were firmly back in the pre-DPF days of Euro 3 and it'll take quite a few years until the majority have DPFs. Also particulates aren't the only air quality emissions from diesel engines - NOx is also bad for human health.

Its up to you.

Sometimes I moor up temporarily rather than share a broad lock with a boat with a clapped-out SR2. As Jambo says, it's not just particulates but nitrogen oxides that are harmful to health, and you cannot see them.