Frost protection - Trace heating

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

I am considering a couple of oil filled rads on a thermostat for this winter, powered from a hook up in the marina (we don't live aboard). I am slightly concerned about leaving the boat for a week or two at a time with the power on. Am I worrying unduly? I have checked the insurance conditions if the worst happened and I think it would be covered. Not sure about the marina conditions though, will have a look later.

It always pays to think, but not to worry unduly. As a liveaboard on a mooring I have shorepower to my boat 24 hours a day and it stays on when I'm at work, away for the weekend, whatever. The battery charger stays on and if there's a risk of sub-zero temperatures then an oil-filed rad will be left on. As long as you make sure it isn't left near anything and it has a thermostat it should be fine.

Edited by blackrose

Interesting! It never occurred to me that a water pump would pump fresh air and develop enough pressure to expel water from the pipes ahead of it. I'll try it. If mine does this all I'll need is a tee in the supply pipe at the pump inlet and a quarter turn valve to open to let the air in! Thanks!

MtB

Obviously any pump that is centrifugal impeller type will be hopeless in air, but most "normal" fresh water pumps are diaphragm types which are pretty good at pumping air. Ours generates quite a good air pressure, way more than enough to push water through the boat's services. Think it is a basic Johnson pump?

It always pays to think, but not to worry unduly. As a liveaboard on a mooring I have shorepower to my boat 24 hours a day and it stays on when I'm at work, away for the weekend, whatever. The battery charger stays on and if there's a risk of sub-zero temperatures then an oil-filed rad will be left on. As long as you make sure it isn't left near anything and it has a thermostat it should be fine.

Thanks for that. I suppose it's not that much different to house really, I'm so used to turning everything off and isolating the batteries when I leave the boat, but I don't think twice about leaving a light on at home, and would never dream of switching off the mains if I was going away on holiday

I've put two 700 watt oil heaters, controlled by a plug in thermostat set to 6 degrees centigrade, on DQ.

Seen the heaters come on twice in recent mornings. Outside temperature was -2, cabin temp between +6 and +8.

I have also isolated the water tank and opened all taps, so hopefully should be OK.

One thought, is it worth putting salt in the water in thee toilet bowl, and what will this do the eco-balance in the holding tank?

One thought, is it worth putting salt in the water in thee toilet bowl, and what will this do the eco-balance in the holding tank?

Surely this will make it taste funny. Best to leave in in the salt cellar as normal I reckon, even in really frosty weather.

ninja.gif

MtB

Interesting! It never occurred to me that a water pump would pump fresh air and develop enough pressure to expel water from the pipes ahead of it. I'll try it. If mine does this all I'll need is a tee in the supply pipe at the pump inlet and a quarter turn valve to open to let the air in! Thanks!

MtB

(Edit to fix my messed up HTML, AGAIN!)

I just take the lid off the inlet strainer.

For what is worth I have for years been pumping out the water followed by a bottle of cheap vodka or gin. I don't pump it out I just leave it in the system until spring. Its seems to work and leaves a great taste.

For what is worth I have for years been pumping out the water followed by a bottle of cheap vodka or gin. I don't pump it out I just leave it in the system until spring. Its seems to work and leaves a great taste.

Funny that, it usually works the other way round for me, 'specially after a visit to the pub :)