Deep Mooring. more in hope than expectation!

gary955

Featured Posts

I thought there were no on-line moorings on the G & S?

Perhaps getting in contact with the moorings in the Old Dock Arm might be a good idea, also with Gloucester Dock itself?

The Bristol Avon is tidal, so you would need to lie on the mud, and again, are there any moorings allowed?

You could try the Floating Harbour, but from past replies here, that is very expensive and has many rules.

What type of boat is it for?

Monk Meadow (crt) near Sainsbury's in Gloucester centre sometimes has space for a wide beam boat and there are certainly canal side moorings. Just had a quick look on the CRT moorings site and there are 2 going. Patch Bridge at 14.5m and Saul Junction at 13m. Both are advertised at less than 4m but as they are canal side and the canal is wide it may be negotiable. Give them a call. As to depth, the G&S is generally a deep canal. I also suspect they don't offer too many sites at the same time - maybe helps to balance demand with availability.........

I thought there were no on-line moorings on the G & S?

Perhaps getting in contact with the moorings in the Old Dock Arm might be a good idea, also with Gloucester Dock itself?

The Bristol Avon is tidal, so you would need to lie on the mud, and again, are there any moorings allowed?

You could try the Floating Harbour, but from past replies here, that is very expensive and has many rules.

What type of boat is it for?

The floating harbour is not too dear but has a long waiting list i think. I'm sure the Bristol Avon, although tidal in spring tides, is not drying upstream of Bristol (I'd be amazed if there were any moorings downstream)

There may be room at Portishead but although the boat is more than capable of the Severn estuary, unfortunatly I (as yet) am not!

Gloucester Docks would be nice but I think that may be the C&RT and there are no vacancies on the website. I'm not familiar with the Old Dock Arm, wher's that?

Monk Meadow (crt) near Sainsbury's in Gloucester centre sometimes has space for a wide beam boat and there are certainly canal side moorings. Just had a quick look on the CRT moorings site and there are 2 going. Patch Bridge at 14.5m and Saul Junction at 13m. Both are advertised at less than 4m but as they are canal side and the canal is wide it may be negotiable. Give them a call. As to depth, the G&S is generally a deep canal. I also suspect they don't offer too many sites at the same time - maybe helps to balance demand with availability.........

Thanks. the 14.5m one at Patch Bridge would be long enough and an on line mooring would be nice, but I thought, when I'd looked before that it was too shallow. I'll enquire about Monks Meadow

What made you think that?

Something that was said on here when someone else was looking for a mooring on the G & S.

I'm not familiar with the Old Dock Arm, wher's that?

The Old Dock Arm is the old line of the G & S before Sharpness docks were built as they are now, just above the marker on this view:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sharpness+Dock/@51.724117,-2.474164,998m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4871a30b07924795:0xc05e02f4074e004e?hl=en

Sorry, but when you said Bristol Avon I thought you meant the tidal bit.

What is the problem with any of it being CRT?

If it has to be near Bristol what about Lydney Harbour?

Edited by Graham Davis

What is the problem with any of it being CRT?

If it has to be near Bristol what about Lydney Harbour?

There's no problem with it being C&RT, I just meant that they publish their vacancy's and none suitable were currently available.

A look at the completed auctions that attracted no bidders though, makes me think that it might be worth giving them a ring.

Lydney harbour looks nice, and seem almost unbelievably cheap! but I lack any experience of venturing out of inland waterways and would like to moor where i could do some cruising.

There's no problem with it being C&RT, I just meant that they publish their vacancy's and none suitable were currently available.

A look at the completed auctions that attracted no bidders though, makes me think that it might be worth giving them a ring.

Lydney harbour looks nice, and seem almost unbelievably cheap! but I lack any experience of venturing out of inland waterways and would like to moor where i could do some cruising.

There is only one way to get some!

Hi. I'm thinking of a new boat

Any tips for a long term mooring on the Glous and Sharpness for a boat with a beam of 4m and a draft of 1.5m?

Edited to wonder if the Bristol Avon might be deep enough?

What sort of boat is it? whats the air draft?

1.5m is very deep for an inland vessel.

Thats 5 feet more or less, is it a converted tug?

Edited by magnetman

There is only one way to get some!

Yes that's my intention, and I'm making a start.

The RYA basic seamanship and navigation course makes it all seem pretty straight forward and simple, but the storys in the bundle of Practical Boat Owner, that I was given, make it seem terrifyingly duanting!!!

Perhaps the Severn Estuary is not the most benign stretch of water to learn on so I'll be taking it slowly and treating the lumpy stuff with extreme caution. In the meantime i'd like to get used to handling the boat on a large inland waterway so the G&S and river Severn seem ideal.

What sort of boat is it? whats the air draft?

1.5m is very deep for an inland vessel.

Thats 5 feet more or less, is it a converted tug?

it's not an inland vessel. Nor is it a converted tug, although funnily enough a converted tug was what I most wanted when I first started to think about a wide boat a couple of years ago.

i went to Holland (where they love their tugs) to view some but found that almost invairably the interiour space was compromised by the hull shape and massive engine room.

Sleepboot Willem was the one that came closest to stealing my heart, google it, she's lovely and although not actively for sale, the owner would part with her if offered some hard cash.

Edited by gary955

G&S is closest deep water canal to bristol, where I work.

Yes, I know, but the OP was also asking about rivers.

Something that was said on here when someone else was looking for a mooring on the G & S.

Ok, I think they must have been mistaken because I saw some long-term online moorings on my way down the G&S.

Apologies for the picture quality.

IMG-20130507-00316_zps7d6aa984.jpg

IMG-20130507-00314_zpsb7f721c2.jpg

Edited by blackrose

But Lydney is only a short hop across the Severn from Sharpness.

Would that be a practical hop for someone with no sea going experience at all? I'm a little intimidated by the Severn estuarys reputation but if it's easy then that is an attractive option.

Wrong side of the river for work though, assuming it's on the north shore.

Having watched the 'Balmoral' have problems on the Severn when coming into moor at the Old Junction, you are right to be wary of going out on the Severn without training and/or pilot.

Lydney is a small town on the welsh side of the estuary (still in Gloucestershire), the harbour is small and is tide limited.

The_entrance_to_Lydney_docks_-_geograph.

The floating harbour is not too dear but has a long waiting list i think. I'm sure the Bristol Avon, although tidal in spring tides, is not drying upstream of Bristol (I'd be amazed if there were any moorings downstream)

There are moorings (drying out on the mud) at Sea Mills and at Pill. Availability ??????????

You would probably need a pilot even for that short hop, but that should take away some of the "worry".

Still intrigued as to what boat you have.

I have a friend who has taken his Narrowboat across from Sharpness a couple of times, but it is a Hudson boat.