CRT Stoppages, and Overstaying on visitor Moorings

FidoDido

Featured Posts

But there is a big difference between a planned stoppage that is publicized and a river in flood or an emergency stoppage due to a breach or some other unforeseen problem.

Planned stoppages are publicized and can be planned for.

So if you are stuck between two that is your own fault surely

I think the whole point of the OP is that he knows he is going to be stuck and is trying to plan for it. He wants to be stuck on a visitors mooring where there are services instead of on his home mooring where there will be none due to the closure.

Ah, but Isatis is picking up his/her new-to-them boat during a stoppage period. Thus can't be expected to move beyond the limits the stoppages give, surely? Also, shouldn't need to pay for a winter mooring, as if they weren't penned in by a stoppage, they would move on.

In my case, I'd be planning to not be "stuck in the middle" - but by doing this take myself away from my home mooring, and therefore require clarification from CRT whether I'd also have to move around to keep within the rules, or would be OK.

As i think you know very well, they are on the C&RT website.

Sorry I thought it said well publicised. Now this might sound weird but I personally know loads of older ccer who do not do the Internet so I guess with the ones I don't know it would come to a lot of ccers that might never have seen the well publicised and I know from conversations I have had with CRT they also recognise this as a problem. I have personally done 4 bookings for winter moorings on the Internet for ccers that do not have internet. People forget there is a generation of people that do not Internet and have no desire to do so Edited by cotswoldsman
  • Greenie 1

Sorry I thought it said well publicised. Now this might sound weird but I personally know loads of older ccer who do not do the Internet so I guess with the ones I don't know it would come to a lot of ccers that might never have seen the well publicised and I know from conversations I have had with CRT they also recognise this as a problem. I have personally done 4 bookings for winter moorings on the Internet for ccers that do not have internet. People forget there is a generation of people that do not Internet and have no desire to do so

You'd have a point, if the internet was the ONLY place they're published. But its not, there's also many CRT notice boards dotted around the system with stoppage notices on; they often stick up printed/laminated notices at strategic points on bridges and locks near to the affected areas, and there is the facility to phone them up and ask for them.

You'd have a point, if the internet was the ONLY place they're published. But its not, there's also many CRT notice boards dotted around the system with stoppage notices on; they often stick up printed/laminated notices at strategic points on bridges and locks near to the affected areas, and there is the facility to phone them up and ask for them.

I know you love to disagree with me so are you suggesting that to plan a trip the elderly first walk the system to read the notices? Oh the notice for the Rufford Arm closing tomorrow went up on Wednesday

Oh and IMO phoning up does not fall into the category of well publicised

I know you love to disagree with me so are you suggesting that to plan a trip the elderly first walk the system to read the notices? Oh the notice for the Rufford Arm closing tomorrow went up on Wednesday

Oh and IMO phoning up does not fall into the category of well publicised

It goes back to my post #10, which you ducked from answering by saying you had a winter mooring. What category (1 2 or 3) does your hypothetical elderly CCer that you're representing fall into?

Sorry I thought it said well publicised. Now this might sound weird but I personally know loads of older ccer who do not do the Internet so I guess with the ones I don't know it would come to a lot of ccers that might never have seen the well publicised and I know from conversations I have had with CRT they also recognise this as a problem. I have personally done 4 bookings for winter moorings on the Internet for ccers that do not have internet. People forget there is a generation of people that do not Internet and have no desire to do so

While I normally agree with you as a voice of sanity on here, I do think you're being a bit disingenuous here John. This is 2014, and I reckon those without internet access are being a bit "bloody minded" about contact with the outside world. It isn't rocket science, even I can do it.

Bob

It goes back to my post #10, which you ducked from answering by saying you had a winter mooring. What category (1 2 or 3) does your hypothetical elderly CCer that you're representing fall into?

I don't represent anyone I just happen to communicate with a lot of ccers after 8 years and being fairly social and always trying to talk to boaters I just happen to k ow quite a number. They also know that where possible I am always happy to try and help. The fact that for nearly 7 years I have cruised with an elderly cc who will be 80 next year I know how he feels by having to rely on me for information. Sometimes it is like a telegraph Stan will have one of his elderly friends phone him and say "can you ask John ......" Edited by cotswoldsman

While I normally agree with you as a voice of sanity on here, I do think you're being a bit disingenuous here John. This is 2014, and I reckon those without internet access are being a bit "bloody minded" about contact with the outside world. It isn't rocket science, even I can do it.

Bob

bob I bought my 92 yo mother a tablet and she is fine checking the weather and downloading photos I send. Now my 68 yo sister does not have a clue and does not want to know and I am afraid she is not on her own. Also there are a lot of elderly boaters who simply can not afford the technology Edited by cotswoldsman
  • Greenie 1

I don't represent anyone I just happen to communicate with a lot of ccers after 8 years and being fairly social and always trying to talk to boaters I just happen to k ow quite a number. They also know that where possible I am always happy to try and help. The fact that for nearly 7 years I have cruised with an elderly cc who will be 80 next year I know how he feels by having to rely on me for information. Sometimes it is like a telegraph Stan will have one of his elderly friends phone him and say "can you ask John ......"

OK fair enough, if you don't represent them I won't expect you to try and answer on their behalf.

Whether people have the internet or not, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that there are stoppages in the winter. It's not exactly a new phenomonen. It's all very well saying the stoppages should be better publicised, but people can take a bit of responsibility themsleves, and make an effort to find out when and where the stoppages are. Sometimes people have to ask, rather than just wait to be told.

Whether people have the internet or not, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that there are stoppages in the winter. It's not exactly a new phenomonen. It's all very well saying the stoppages should be better publicised, but people can take a bit of responsibility themsleves, and make an effort to find out when and where the stoppages are. Sometimes people have to ask, rather than just wait to be told.

Fine

The op asked a very good question. He doesn't want to be stuck on his mooring with no access to facilities thus wishes to move before the stoppage. I will be interested to hear crt's response.

yes, we do expect stoppages and many of us can look on line but I haven't found they've been very good at updating them. Over runs are fairly common, sometimes they open early. Changes can be on stoppage notices but the original lists aren't always updated.

The op asked a very good question. He doesn't want to be stuck on his mooring with no access to facilities thus wishes to move before the stoppage. I will be interested to hear crt's response.

yes, we do expect stoppages and many of us can look on line but I haven't found they've been very good at updating them. Over runs are fairly common, sometimes they open early. Changes can be on stoppage notices but the original lists aren't always updated.

When CRT closed the locks on the Lancaster recently, I was stuck down at Glasson Basin. It was not a planned stoppage but I missed my booked crossing of the Ribble. There was the distinct possibility that there would be no chance of getting back across before the link closed for winter and I'd not get back to my home mooring in the midlands.

When I explained to CRT, they made arrangements to get the locks on the Glasson branch opened specially, and an extra crossing date for the Ribble arranged.

I called in to the Wigan office on the way back to thank the CRT lady in person.

Just an anecdote, but I would suggest that if you have a genuine problem with stoppages or restrictions and it's within CRT's power to help, they probably will. Just call them and ask.

• Greenie 2

Just out of curiosity, how would YOU define anything as 'well publicised'? I thought over your comments and to be absolutely honest I don't know how anything would fall into the definition of being well publicised anymore. If the information was in the national newspapers I haven't read a paper newspaper in about 6 months and haven't bought one for probably 18 months. If it were on the television, I haven't watched live TV for nearly a year and only ever watch catch up (I-player etc.). I suppose that they could post it on national billboards but that seems a bit pointless to me since it is only directed at a fairly narrow audience. A national postal delivery would possibly be 'well publicised' although I'm about 2 months behind with my post and again,since it is only aimed at a narrow audience it would be rather pointless, likewise for national radio. You will find the list of stoppages in boating magazines (Canal Boat etc) and I'm not sure whether they include in in Towpath magazine. On the other hand, if I were so inclined I could sit in Rotorua, New Zealand or Toronto, Canada and read CRT's website so it could fall into the class of being widely available. Even for those who may be 'digitally illiterate' they could walk into their local library (while we still have such things!) and ask the librarian to help them find the information on the internet.

I suppose what I am saying is that these days information doesn't come looking for you, you have to go looking for it, and the internet is probably a good start.

I'm sure the stoppages are published in The Tillergraph and the waterways magazines.

Just out of interest, before the internet existed how did people find out about the winter stoppages?

They were printed out and sent by post when that became to expensive you could pop into any BW office and pick one up

Just out of curiosity, how would YOU define anything as 'well publicised'? I thought over your comments and to be absolutely honest I don't know how anything would fall into the definition of being well publicised anymore. If the information was in the national newspapers I haven't read a paper newspaper in about 6 months and haven't bought one for probably 18 months. If it were on the television, I haven't watched live TV for nearly a year and only ever watch catch up (I-player etc.). I suppose that they could post it on national billboards but that seems a bit pointless to me since it is only directed at a fairly narrow audience. A national postal delivery would possibly be 'well publicised' although I'm about 2 months behind with my post and again,since it is only aimed at a narrow audience it would be rather pointless, likewise for national radio. You will find the list of stoppages in boating magazines (Canal Boat etc) and I'm not sure whether they include in in Towpath magazine. On the other hand, if I were so inclined I could sit in Rotorua, New Zealand or Toronto, Canada and read CRT's website so it could fall into the class of being widely available. Even for those who may be 'digitally illiterate' they could walk into their local library (while we still have such things!) and ask the librarian to help them find the information on the internet.

I suppose what I am saying is that these days information doesn't come looking for you, you have to go looking for it, and the internet is probably a good start.

I think you miss the point I was simply saying they were not well publicised I was not saying they should be for the simple reason that a few boats being stuck due to a closure is not a major problem. I have cruised for 7 winters and spotting other boats can at times be very difficult. On the other hand some do think it is a major problem that I find difficult to understand because if the canal is closed anyway why would it matter if a few boats were sitting arround waiting for it to open

I think you miss the point I was simply saying they were not well publicised I was not saying they should be for the simple reason that a few boats being stuck due to a closure is not a major problem. I have cruised for 7 winters and spotting other boats can at times be very difficult. On the other hand some do think it is a major problem that I find difficult to understand because if the canal is closed anyway why would it matter if a few boats were sitting arround waiting for it to open

I think you missed my point, my query was how is anything described as 'well publicised' these days with such a diverse media? The only thing I can think of that is 'well publicised' is items of national and international news since that goes out on pretty much all forms of media (TV, radio,newpaper,internet). Everything else is just advertised and you may or may not get to see it dependent upon whether or not you use that particular media.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this..

I emailed the local CRT person, who forwarded my enquiry to the local CRT enforcement officer. Some 2 weeks later, the CRT enforcement officer has not got back to me regarding moving my boat during the stoppage.

However, as an Orion boat called "Silver" and another black older boat called "Madness" have been in Shardlow for well over 4 weeks without any hindrance, I think I'll take my chances. (I've seen Madness around over the past few years - seems to leave it various places whilst he is away)..

Silver, incidentally appears to be up for sale - saw it on the 'duck.

They were printed out and sent by post when that became to expensive you could pop into any BW office and pick one up

I was thinking about this last week. how easy it would be for CaRT to put this information on their notice boards, I was at the Fazeley offices at the time using the services. Even if they only put up the locale ones, just an A4 sheet of paper

I'm sure the stoppages are published in The Tillergraph and the waterways magazines.

Just out of interest, before the internet existed how did people find out about the winter stoppages?

Canal'phone had recorded messages for each 'area' updated as required, daily. If it was a long list or for an unfamiliar area you needed to replay the message several times. With today's technology this service could be maintained with a text-reader rather than an actual human voice but CRT would probably subcontract it to a supplier charging premium (£1.50 per minute) rates with the first five minutes taken up by irrelevant advice.