CRT Stoppages, and Overstaying on visitor Moorings

FidoDido

Featured Posts

For the first 3 weeks in December, the CRT winter stoppages will close locks both sides of my online mooring (Shardlow Lock, and Weston Lock). I could just make sure I'm pumped out and have turned around already (I have to go up two locks and a 4.5 hr round trip to turn the boat, as nearest winding hole is Chellaston - I'm 70ft..), but if then it gets really cold and frozen in, etc, I'm not sure if the tank will last..

Alternatively, I wondered if I could drop down into Shardlow and moor on a 48hr Mooring, and stay there for 3 weeks whilst the works are being carried out? Is this considered OK during winter stoppages? (or any other stoppage), or will I have to move the boat around (less convenient for me, really.. Could go into Beeston or Nottingham, perhaps, depending on the Trent. (Not if it rains like it did last year!).

In their "consultation" on the winter stoppages, I did tell CRT twice that quite a few CC'ers stop between Weston Lock and Shardlow Lock, and there is no water tap between the two, so it would be better to stagger the works, not do them simultaneously.. Hopefully they'll put up some signs to warn those stuck in the middle to shift before the work starts.

Self pump out kit into 5 gallon drums then take them to be emptied.

Only way you will know about the VM is to ask CART, I can guess their answer.

ETA CCers should plan their cruising to avoid being trapped between locks.

Edited by Loddon

really?

Unless of course you wish to stay in one place for the length of the stoppage which if over 14days will cause you to fall foul of the 1995 act. Provided you haven't previously arranged a dispensation with CaRT.

Edit to correct spelling mistook.

Edited by Loddon

Unless of course you wish to stay in one place for the length of the stoppage which if over 14days will cause you to fall foul of the 1995 act. Provided you haven't previously arranged a dispensation with CaRT.

Edit to correct spelling mistook.

I do like to hear it from an expert. Of course a lot of us take Winter Moorings

I do like to hear it from an expert. Of course a lot of us take Winter Moorings

Just to clarify, as an expert CCer, are you suggesting:

1) CCers deliberately research where winter stoppages are with a view to positioning their boat so that it will be "blocked in" and thus can remain in one place for many weeks/months?

2) CCers ignore the published winter stoppages and just see what happens when they are cruising?

3) CCers deliberately research where the winter stoppages are with a view to complying with the 14 day rule?

Just to clarify, as an expert CCer, are you suggesting:

1) CCers deliberately research where winter stoppages are with a view to positioning their boat so that it will be "blocked in" and thus can remain in one place for many weeks/months?

2) CCers ignore the published winter stoppages and just see what happens when they are cruising?

3) CCers deliberately research where the winter stoppages are with a view to complying with the 14 day rule?

The point I was making is if a ccer takes a winter mooring they don't need to plan anything

That comes under the dispensation from CaRT which it is.

Keep trying

Sorry did not realise if I go into a marina for 5 months I need dispensation from CRT do you have a link to that?

The point I was making is if a ccer takes a winter mooring they don't need to plan anything

Sorry did not realise if I go into a marina for 5 months I need dispensation from CRT do you have a link to that?

Not all CCers take a winter mooring though.....

If you go into a marina and have a mooring for 5 months, you have a mooring which fulfils the requirement under the 1995 waterways act section 17 3 c i. If you take a winter mooring on the towpath off a private company (not CRT) the same requirement is met. If you take a winter mooring off CRT, the same requirement is met.

You can't be a CCer with a mooring! The two are mutually exclusive!

(And yes, I know the Tony Dunkley case muddled everything up, but let's remember this hasn't actually gone to court and been judged upon by a judge, only by an internet forum).

If you go into a marina and have a mooring for 5 months, you have a mooring which fulfils the requirement under the 1995 waterways act section 17 3 c i. If you take a winter mooring on the towpath off a private company (not CRT) the same requirement is met. If you take a winter mooring off CRT, the same requirement is met.

(And yes, I know the Tony Dunkley case muddled everything up, but let's remember this hasn't actually gone to court and been judged upon by a judge, only by an internet forum).

Thanks for that makes everything much clearer

. . . . and nobody on the Forum has sat the rigorous judging exams, known for their rigour.

Well I am not a CCer but I do check the winter stoppages to make sure I can get to where I want to go and back again. Bit like checking the time of the last train home really I would have thought.

Exactly, it's common sense really.

Take me for example, in two weeks time when I move aboard and become a CC.

It will be my first experience of cruising at this time of year, first thing I did was check the winter stoppages for if they are likely to effect me.

The ones from Great Haywood going north on the T&M will effect me so I'm going down the S&W and up the Shroppie instead.

Even then the stoppage at the stop lock at Dutton will effect me so I'm timing my arrival there for the day the stoppage ends.

I've allowed myself 21 days to do what canal planner says is a 6 day journey.

Edited to add this is not aimed at the OP

Edited by muddywaters

Contrary to what some people seem to think, not every question is about CCers.

The OP says he has an online mooring, which is going blocked in by stoppages -- so the only sensible answer so far is to ask CRT.

No, I'm not a CC'er - I pay CRT and a local farmer for a mooring. However, if I choose not to be blocked in, I'll inevitably have to abide by some sort of rules.. I was inquisitive as to whether a stoppage means the usual rules are more flexible. I'll email the local CRT rep and ask the question.. I need to inform them that the towpath has fallen into the cut below Aston Lock anyway. Dangerous especially for cyclists, who use that section quite a bit.

I didn't know if CC'ers necessarily keep an eye out on the CRT stoppages. There are several "regulars" on this stretch of canal, but quite a lot of non-locals too. The lack of a water point for several weeks could be an issue for any unsuspecting folks.

To me this is all as clear as mud

When we move aboard in November we will be stranded between Fron and Llangollen for 4 or 5 weeks due to stoppages i was thinking a months winter mooring would keep us legal on that stretch

Then when stoppages open for xmas we creep into Chirk marina to do some work on boat nothing huge mostly cosmetic but at least deliveries can find us.

Then come spring we start ccing the system as we intend to by that time have sorted roving traders status, taking winter moorings in following years to enable us to build stock, necessary as crafters.

According to the general line of discussion i am well and truly confused.

To me this is all as clear as mud

When we move aboard in November we will be stranded between Fron and Llangollen for 4 or 5 weeks due to stoppages i was thinking a months winter mooring would keep us legal on that stretch

Then when stoppages open for xmas we creep into Chirk marina to do some work on boat nothing huge mostly cosmetic but at least deliveries can find us.

Then come spring we start ccing the system as we intend to by that time have sorted roving traders status, taking winter moorings in following years to enable us to build stock, necessary as crafters.

According to the general line of discussion i am well and truly confused.

If you can't move due to stoppages, or a river being in flood, then C&RT cannot expect you to perform the impossible. Last year we had a boat in Shardlow that due to the Trent being in flood, was there for 6 weeks. CRT were fine about this, as they couldn't expect the owner to go into the Flooded tent, and they wanted to continue their journey , not turn back. CRT can be very sensible..

I would say if you want to have a winter mooring for a month, then do so, but do talk to the CRT in that area and explain your circumstances, and you might not need to pay. Do check there are some services though - difficult if there is no water point, and nowhere to get rid of your waste.

I've emailed CRT to ask about my predicament, and will report back their answer. My guess is they'll be OK if I drop down into town. There is plenty of room, and there will obviously be no traffic through for the 3 weeks.

If you can't move due to stoppages, or a river being in flood, then C&RT cannot expect you to perform the impossible. Last year we had a boat in Shardlow that due to the Trent being in flood, was there for 6 weeks. CRT were fine about this, as they couldn't expect the owner to go into the Flooded tent, and they wanted to continue their journey , not turn back. CRT can be very sensible..

I would say if you want to have a winter mooring for a month, then do so, but do talk to the CRT in that area and explain your circumstances, and you might not need to pay. Do check there are some services though - difficult if there is no water point, and nowhere to get rid of your waste.

I've emailed CRT to ask about my predicament, and will report back their answer. My guess is they'll be OK if I drop down into town. There is plenty of room, and there will obviously be no traffic through for the 3 weeks.

But there is a big difference between a planned stoppage that is publicized and a river in flood or an emergency stoppage due to a breach or some other unforeseen problem.

Planned stoppages are publicized and can be planned for.

So if you are stuck between two that is your own fault surely