Indoor boat yard/dock to paint my boat in winter? Grand Union

Mitchellmoxo

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have a 50ft long narrow boat currently moored in milton keynes. It needs to come out to be blacked - and it is now ready for paint.

Is there anywhere along the canal (dont mind travelling) where i can get my boat put into some kind of indoor storage as its getting too cold to paint i think!

Many thanks

Mitch

Phone Aylesbury Circus Fields Marina to see if their covered dry dock is ready (has heating). However - pay attention to winter stoppages on Aylesbury Arm as it may stop you.

ETA actually I cannot remember whether their heated dock is dry or wet - but IIRC they have two docks one heated. Hopefully one of the members will chime in as their website is not up to date.

Edited by mark99

Phone Aylesbury Circus Fields Marina to see if their covered dry dock is ready (has heating). However - pay attention to winter stoppages on Aylesbury Arm as it may stop you.

ETA actually I cannot remember whether their heated dock is dry or wet - but IIRC they have two docks one heated. Hopefully one of the members will chime in as their website is not up to date.

Circus Field has covered dry and wet docks. The dry dock is above water level. Boats are pulled up a slipway in a cradle and once inside can be jacked up to enable you to work beneath.

I think both docks are heated, but they weren't fitted out when I had a tour round at the beginning of the year.

Priority is given to ACS members, and there may be a queue of those who have been waiting for the new facilities to be available. But they will be available for commercial hire when not being used by society members.

If I was in that area I'd be looking at T.Trevithick in Nottingham. A few hundred metres before the castle marina on the opposite side. It's a fair trek but well worth it and they take liveaboards. Bookings are Friday to Friday and very cheap. Trouble is they will be booked for months unless they have a cancellation.

Trevethicks Boat Builders

Address: Canal Wharf, Gregory St, Old Lenton Postcode: NG7 2NP City/Town: Nottingham (Nottinghamshire)

Contact us: 0115 978 3467 Edited by bigste

Harefield Marina have a wet dock, not sure if it's heated?

It's a shabby old thing with more holes in the polythene than a moth eaten jumper. Also the dust (when dry) kicks up off the car tyres when the marina cars trundle up and down the bumpy lane. Can't think it would be heated.

The Aylesbury one is the best most modern paint dock facility I've seen on the network. A new, full length, purpose built, pristine brick unit with a shuttered end door with rails to hoist your boat to the dry. And of course the Aylesbury Club/Society are just about the most welcoming people you could ever meet.

If I was in that area I'd be looking at T.Trevithick in Nottingham. A few hundred metres before the castle marina on the opposite side. It's a fair trek but well worth it and they take liveaboards. Bookings are Friday to Friday and very cheap. Trouble is they will be booked for months unless they have a cancellation.

Trevethicks Boat Builders

Address: Canal Wharf, Gregory St, Old Lenton Postcode: NG7 2NP City/Town: Nottingham (Nottinghamshire)

Contact us: 0115 978 3467

Booked my boat in there last week.

Earliest date I could get was Mid-End April.

Like anywhere that does a good job, they are booked up months in advance.