Stuff to do for boaters?

me1bee

Featured Posts

Hi,

As ex-caravaners, I was just wondering if there are meetups or rallys or anything similar which the members of canal world may get together and do?

Is there boat clubs and such? Sorry if this is a daft question, just thought I'd ask.

There is a section on here for it

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=3679ed800d16176ca3029c0e01e9518e&showforum=47

and there are a few in your bit of the world, here's a couple

http://www.nccc.uk.net/

http://www.lymmcc.co.uk/

Boat owner in the main are a pretty friendly bunch just like caravan owners but also like their privacy too, much less of a "group mentality" I guess because caravaners all get cooped up in sites together where the height of bad manners in boating is to moor up within sight of someone else.

K

:) lol! that sounds much more appealing. We enjoy being social but the caravanning did become a bit too much 'in your personal space' sometimes. I will remember the boat etiquette and thank you for making me aware, I wouldn't have had a clue - near to us there are always a few boats moored up together ish, is this a general rule of thumb wherever you go?

smile.png lol! that sounds much more appealing. We enjoy being social but the caravanning did become a bit too much 'in your personal space' sometimes. I will remember the boat etiquette and thank you for making me aware, I wouldn't have had a clue - near to us there are always a few boats moored up together ish, is this a general rule of thumb wherever you go?

Unless you are on a dedicated visitor mooring in a popular spot, when you will some times need to all bunch up to make room for other boats to get in.

But if you are out in the wilds you can generally moor up where ever you like.

Which is what I love to do, moor up where I'm the only boat around and the only light is the light on my boat

unsure.png When mooring in the wilderness on a long stretch suitable for mooring then is it the unwritten rule that first boat moors at one end next boat moors at other end 3rd boat moors in middle following boats then moor in the new middle sections .and if your lucky section does not get filled or do you put traffic cones along the towpathunsure.png

unsure.png When mooring in the wilderness on a long stretch suitable for mooring then is it the unwritten rule that first boat moors at one end next boat moors at other end 3rd boat moors in middle following boats then moor in the new middle sections .and if your lucky section does not get filled or do you put traffic cones along the towpathunsure.png

The gaps end up 56' 6" and most boats are 57'

I think the term 'Sods Law' comes to mind. When you moor in the middle of nowhere, bliss,quiet etc.

You hear the sound of a approaching boat. It slows, to pass? Maybe. Then it goes astern. Blinkin eck! He's stopping.

After about two/three hours the nice quiet isolated mooring you thought you had to yourselves is now full.

Arh! But, it's still quiet and blissful and you can,if you wish, have a chat with the chap who has a better engine than your own, or you could even at a push,discuss the good old British weather with some authority.

I don't think it is bad manners to moor near another boat in the wilderness.

Martyn.

I don't think it is bad manners to moor near another boat in the wilderness.

Martyn.

No, nor me.

It's vaguely irritating as you describe when someone comes and moors next to you, buy bad manners? Nope.

What IS bad manners though is to stop next to a boat miles from anywhere then proceed to run your engine whilst moored. Unbelievably bad manners in my opinion and really gets my goat.

MtB

I think some of it is, you amble along idly thinking "it's about time for dinner" and you see a nice spot with a boat moored and you then think "Oh! you must be able to get close to the bank there, or, the bank must be good and solid for pins" Next thing you know you're moored up nearby icecream.gif

caravaners all get cooped up in sites together where the height of bad manners in boating is to moor up within sight of someone else.

Hardly,

you are likely to confuse a new boater with a comment like that, how is it achievable on most visitor moorings anyway?, it's simply not. Besides there is nothing really wrong with mooring even in remote locations in sight of another boat, just don't 'crowd' them if you can possibly avoid it and when there is no need to.