Hostility

Andy Pearson

Featured Posts

As far as I can see, the main advantage of the crumpet (pikelet) is the fact that they absorb huse quantities of melted butter. Upon biting into the pikelet, the melted butter squeezes out and runs down your chin. If it does not then there is not enough butter on it.

Nick

Just a thought.

You don't suppose that we've all been had and that Andy was pulling out collective leg?

He might be a really nice chap but doesn't know about smiley emoticons.

Nick

As far as I can see, the main advantage of the crumpet (pikelet) is the fact that they absorb huse quantities of melted butter. Upon biting into the pikelet, the melted butter squeezes out and runs down your chin. If it does not then there is not enough butter on it.

Nick

Just a thought.

You don't suppose that we've all been had and that Andy was pulling out collective leg?

He might be a really nice chap but doesn't know about smiley emoticons.

Nick

Just a little butter, just a little salt. Yum.

Andy may have been pulling our collective leg... but he obviously doesn't fit in, he hasn't had any crumpets, scones OR tea!

Philistine.

I joined this forum a brief 24 hours ago in order to find help. I've found out that some, perhaps even most boat owners are nice people. but there are a great many nasty, opinionated know-all anoraks that are looking to vent their self loathing on others.

This forum does lirtlle to dispel the impression that I have of sad lonely bearded men without wives or girlfriends sat on their narrowboat "reading" their collection of top shelf magazines. many try and pass off hatred, intolerance or bad temper as "humour". The irony is you don't even have to reply to my simple request unless it's to offer help.

Please unsubscribe me from the forum. I have always wanted to take my kids on a narrowboat holiday, but not any more. i'd hate to think they might bump into some of your members. I'm sure someone will let me film their boat for an hour if I ask nicely and buy them a drink.

I can't believe how nastily I have been treated. What did I ever do to deserve this? Perhaps the internet is a mediulm that encourages cowerdice, as many of the remarks would not have been made to my face.

I shall begin an immediate campaign to get the whole of Britain's canals concreted over and turned into cycling lanes.

Oh Dear. :)

there is absolutely no point stirring it all up again Tomsk. You missed the fight this morning. WE're all being nice to eachother now.

Besides there may be one brewing on the amity thread you should take a look at.

I've just got the shark joke.

If you mean mine then I believe what I said was 'You won't find many barges in Birmingham, try narrowboats' which I edited immediately and put the comment in about me because that is what I sounded like. Not nasty, just pompous and pedantic.

In that case, I think Andy may have made the same mistake I did & thought you were directing your comments at him. Let's put it down to a misunderstanding. (But if he does succeed in getting the canals filled in it's your fault!

In that case, I think Andy may have made the same mistake I did & thought you were directing your comments at him. Let's put it down to a misunderstanding. (But if he does succeed in getting the canals filled in it's your fault!

Nooooooooooo! He can't have done! It was about Carlt - obviously!

Oooooooooooops!

Absolutely, a misunderstanding I apologised for and explained. He refused to accept and got abusive.

If he does get the canals filled in at least my boat will stop sinking.

Don't count on it - if it keeps raining and snowing you will still be under water . . .

Seriously though I do think we all acted rather badly to someone who was obviously making a very genuine request.

I do hope that Andy will forgive us and make a very nice film that does not typecast the steerer of the boat as a sad old git with a beard drooling over a naughty magazine!

Or even worse with his laptop on the cabin hatch in front of him!

In the meantime, I shall go and have a shave and get rid of those mags . . .

:)

Absolutely, a misunderstanding I apologised for and explained. He refused to accept and got abusive.

Like that one I saw on Match of the Day last week. After one of his players got sent off, the furious Sheffield Utd Manager Neil Warnock did a mock kick to the referee meaning "What about one of our players that got kicked earlier?" However the opposition manager Wally Downs thought he was instructing his team to kick the other players and a right melee ensued! What a larf!

Like that one I saw on Match of the Day last week. After one of his players got sent off, the furious Sheffield Utd Manager Neil Warnock did a mock kick to the referee meaning "What about one of our players that got kicked earlier?" However the opposition manager Wally Downs thought he was instructing his team to kick the other players and a right melee ensued! What a larf!

:)

Massively off topic but if anyone can PM the rather amusing anagram of Neil Warnock I'll buy them a pint (virtual or real) I don't mind which (PM cos it's a bit rude)

:(

Massively off topic but if anyone can PM the rather amusing anagram of Neil Warnock I'll buy them a pint (virtual or real) I don't mind which (PM cos it's a bit rude)

And the pint goes to Alec G! Good man! (unlike Warnock)

I have read all of the posts with regard to the original one by Andy Pearson, and i am almost ashamed to be classed as apart of the boating fraternity, when there are a small minority of people with there small mindedness who without thinking upset a total stranger asking for help on an open forum.

The majority of people who are not connected with the canals in this country know narrowboats as barges, does this mean that we treat them all the same and ridicule them with stupid comments.

I hope that Mr Pearson will not take these comments by the minority as being the norm from normal boaters and realises that we are not all like that.

It is to late to apologise, and in my opoinion the offending person should be removed from this forum, and because he wrote the reply from Mr Pearson unedited, using bad language.

To put this right the operating body/moderatos should take notice,that may go someway to show Mr Pearson,and others who have read this and are disgusted by what has happen, that we are not narrow minded.

I would like to say to Mr Pearson that i apologise for the attitude of all the people who have offended him, and please dont take it to be the norm amongst boaters

I think both parties are in the wrong really.

I don't see why swear words need to be used..

And if you think the 'offender' should be chucked off i also believe that andy should to.. he has made some very rude remarks and comments like saying i need to remind my dad to take his medication and changing names so they look like swear words etc..

There are lots of other forums for Andy to go to anyway.. he doesn't have to stick around here if he doesn't like the attitudes of the members who have made the forum into what it is.. without them.. it would be nothing really.

I am offended by OWIN's comments.

By what right does he feel the need to apologise for other people, the only people that need to apologise are those that think it necessary. I do not think any one needs to apologise but the alleged offender already has and got abuse from Andy Pearson.

Perhaps Carl did slip up on quoting the PM ( not in posting it but not editing/censoring the actual words) but it did show the true colours of Andy Pearson

Where does the statement

The majority of people who are not connected with the canals in this country know narrowboats as barges,

come from, where are the facts. I suggest this only supposition.

I am offended by OWIN's comments.

By what right does he feel the need to apologise for other people, the only people that need to apologise are those that think it necessary. I do not think any one needs to apologise but the alleged offender already has and got abuse from Andy Pearson.

Perhaps Carl did slip up on quoting the PM ( not in posting it but not editing/censoring the actual words) but it did show the true colours of Andy Pearson

Where does the statement

come from, where are the facts. I suggest this only supposition.

I agree :)

People I know who live no where near a canal call them long boats.. and the people who dont have anything to do with canals but live near them call them narrowboats and long boats..

Although I think sometimes on tv programs they class them as barges so that doesn't really help

I believe the foul language was actually used firstly by Mr Pearson in a PM to a forum member. Perhaps our member should have "*" d out the offending words, but we all know what it means! I feel that if anyone is sending PM's like that then they should be named and shamed. We really don't need people like that on this forum.

I agree that his original request could, and should perhaps have been handled better, and he should have been treated with a little more respect from some of our members, but it seems to me that this incident has been blown out of all proportion.

The "offending" person posted something that he immediately retracted, realising that it may possibly be misconstrued. No offence was meant, and none should have been taken.

Can we not just forget about it, learn a lesson in manners and continue as before?

Janet now dons flak jacket and camouflage knickers and retires to a safe distance....

Janet