Hostility

Andy Pearson

Featured Posts

Is that me? Unusual..ok, but ebullient (quick google to confirm I know what it means) surely not!

OK, I'll downgrade you to semi-ebullient.

And another thing .....don't you "surely not" me, you hairy more-ebullient-than-me boat dwelling rude wooden bargeperson! That's it -- I'm off!

Anyway, what's wrong with being cheerful and full of energy?

Edited by Alec Gatherer

This man also deliberately mis-spelt my surname (badly) in what could be suggested was an attempt to "convert" it into a German swearword. Normally I would ignore mis-spellings of my name but as he seems to be able to get every other word spelt correctly, I can only assume that this "mistake" was deliberate. Or am I being too sensitive.

Dammit, if it had been a french swear word I'd have spotted it. What does it mean David. He pmed me in good old fashioned English.

This man also deliberately mis-spelt my surname (badly) in what could be suggested was an attempt to "convert" it into a German swearword. Normally I would ignore mis-spellings of my name but as he seems to be able to get every other word spelt correctly, I can only assume that this "mistake" was deliberate. Or am I being too sensitive.

I thought so too.

Am I unique in always having known these marvellous snacky things as pikelets? Black pudding mashed on pikelets...mmmm.

Pikelets are much thinner than crumpets. As for mashing black pud on them, I suspect you're unique.

Dammit, if it had been a french swear word I'd have spotted it. What does it mean David.

I think he tried to turn it to Sheister (however you spell that)

Edited by Moley

I joined this forum a brief 24 hours ago in order to find help. I've found out that some, perhaps even most boat owners are nice people. but there are a great many nasty, opinionated know-all anoraks that are looking to vent their self loathing on others.

This forum does lirtlle to dispel the impression that I have of sad lonely bearded men without wives or girlfriends sat on their narrowboat "reading" their collection of top shelf magazines. many try and pass off hatred, intolerance or bad temper as "humour". The irony is you don't even have to reply to my simple request unless it's to offer help.

Please unsubscribe me from the forum. I have always wanted to take my kids on a narrowboat holiday, but not any more. i'd hate to think they might bump into some of your members. I'm sure someone will let me film their boat for an hour if I ask nicely and buy them a drink.

I can't believe how nastily I have been treated. What did I ever do to deserve this? Perhaps the internet is a mediulm that encourages cowerdice, as many of the remarks would not have been made to my face.

I shall begin an immediate campaign to get the whole of Britain's canals concreted over and turned into cycling lanes.

Thanks Andy

- My other hobby is mountainbiking.

Laugh!

I nearly bought a round...............

......and he does seem to be generalising a bit. :(

A BIT?

"the impression that I have of sad lonely bearded men without wives or girlfriends sat on their narrowboat "reading" their collection of top shelf magazines. many try and pass off hatred, intolerance or bad temper as "humour".

You can leave us beardies out of it...... :) moron.

The offending sections are appended below:-

[...]

"But to those ordinary well-balanced members of the boating community who have offered me their kind help (by email) I'd like to express my gratitude."

This last one is known over on Usenet as "the lurkers support me on e-mail". It's one of two tacit admissions that someone has lost the argument (the other one is, of course, Godwin's Law).

There is a small hardcore of members who's input to topics generally deviate from the theme and end up with a slanging match or talking a load of drivel presumably to maintain there lead in the number of posts placed. This thread kicked of right from the word go and has finished with the biggest load of non related drivel ever, nuff said.

There is a small hardcore of members who's input to topics generally deviate from the theme and end up with a slanging match or talking a load of drivel presumably to maintain there lead in the number of posts placed. This thread kicked of right from the word go and has finished with the biggest load of non related drivel ever, nuff said.

that'll be me then! I'm not bothered about number of posts placed, but I don't like hostility which frequently seems to be occuring in a number of posts outside of the virtual pub. Thanks for the comments, I shall bear them in mind. I hadn't quite put talking a load of drivel in the same realm as slanging mathc, but as they are both off topic you are quite right. I shall curtail my silliness and keep in the bar!

I thought so too.

Pikelets are much thinner than crumpets. As for mashing black pud on them, I suspect you're unique.

I think he tried to turn it to Sheister (however you spell that)

Ade, Sheister is Yiddish and is normally used to mean a dodgy lawyer especially in the US where the term is commonplace, as are a lot of Yiddish words which have passed from usage amongst the Jewish population into the vernacular. I doubt that was what was meant for David because I don't think he is a dodgy lawyer (apologies if you are David :) )

The intended slight was Sheisser, German, literally shitter, though in English that specific term doesn't exist much as an insult though it is used colloquially as a word for toilet, again principally in the US. The corresponding personal insult would be shitbag, piece of shit etc.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

As the third highest poster ( I just checked) after Daniel and John Orentas I represent that remark and as at school 'must try harder' :)

As the third highest poster ( I just checked) after Daniel and John Orentas I represent that remark and as at school 'must try harder' :)

how can you tell?

edit: no need - just worked it out!!!

Edited by Bones

I think a certain post on the original thread was edited, but not before he had seen it.

If you mean mine then I believe what I said was 'You won't find many barges in Birmingham, try narrowboats' which I edited immediately and put the comment in about me because that is what I sounded like. Not nasty, just pompous and pedantic.

If you mean mine then I believe what I said was 'You won't find many barges in Birmingham, try narrowboats' which I edited immediately and put the comment in about me because that is what I sounded like. Not nasty, just pompous and pedantic.

I genuinely was wondering how many barges there were in birmingham...! I thought he meant barges... and persumed your post was just saying he should try and get hold of a narrowboat as it would be easier to find!

Perhaps I am too stupid to notice insults (I usually am! - especially when directed at me)

Edited by Bones

Ade, Sheister is Yiddish and is normally used to mean a dodgy lawyer.... The intended slight was Sheisser, German, literally shitter

Clearly, I do not know it all, and I thank Steve for improving my education. :)

This forum does lirtlle to dispel the impression that I have of sad lonely bearded men without wives or girlfriends sat on their narrowboat "reading" their collection of top shelf magazines. many try and pass off hatred, intolerance or bad temper as "humour".

Well what a shame he didn't put his preconceived ideas about what most of us must be like in the original post, where he was looking for his barge. :)

I'm sure there would have been a lot more volunteering the use of their boats if they had known he came to the forum potentially viewing many of us in such a positive light.

Is there any tea and drop scones left, please ?

(That doesn't look correct English, but then neither does "ARE there any tea and drop scones left, please ?". Would any of the English teachers amongst you tell me how I can ask that, given that the tea is singular, but the scones plural ? :( )

Well what a shame he didn't put his preconceived ideas about what most of us must be like in the original post, where he was looking for his barge. :)

I'm sure there would have been a lot more volunteering the use of their boats if they had known he came to the forum potentially viewing many of us in such a positive light.

(That doesn't look correct English, but then neither does "ARE there any tea and drop scones left, please ?". Would any of the English teachers amongst you tell me how I can ask that, given that the tea is singular, but the scones plural ? :( )

AF "are their any scones left? "

B "there are indeed [passes them over]

AF " super, I think I will have soem more tea too [looks inquisitively at carlt who is nearest the pot"

C - passes the pot.

There is always enough tea.

Certainly, sir. Professional international highly-regarded editor speaking.

The correct frazeology phrasology phrasiology way of saying it would be "Is there any tea and are there any drop scones left, please?".

I think I can guarantee that we have a never-uttered sentence thereby constructed.

C - passes the pot.

I left that habit behind many years ago. I always got accused of letting it go out, I hung onto it for so long without actually smoking it. :)

What's a drop scone by the way?

And am I the only person who sees crumpets/pikelets as savoury?

Edited by carlt