Antifreeze: What do you recommend?

Theo

Featured Posts

A few points about which I am unclear.

1. There are two major types of antifreeze: methanol and ethylene glycol. I would not use methanol because it is flammable and, I suspect, it will evaporate away quickly. I believe that there are different types of the glycol antifreeze. Is this the type of inhibitor that is used? I read that blue is different from orange and there mas I thinking that it was just a brand marker. What should I use for the old BMC 1.5?

2. I have heard it advised that I use a 50:50 mix. Now this gives an absurdly low freezing point. Do I really need this much or will a lower concentration do, say 25%?

3. I am told that glycol is really bad for wildlife. Where do I dispose of the stuff that I drain out to be replaced.?

4. Would an idea be not to drain out the old but simply add pure new as required to top up the system? This would mean that the concentration would gradually get higher.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick

A few points about which I am unclear.

1. There are two major types of antifreeze: methanol and ethylene glycol. I would not use methanol because it is flammable and, I suspect, it will evaporate away quickly. I believe that there are different types of the glycol antifreeze. Is this the type of inhibitor that is used? I read that blue is different from orange and there mas I thinking that it was just a brand marker. What should I use for the old BMC 1.5?

2. I have heard it advised that I use a 50:50 mix. Now this gives an absurdly low freezing point. Do I really need this much or will a lower concentration do, say 25%?

3. I am told that glycol is really bad for wildlife. Where do I dispose of the stuff that I drain out to be replaced.?

4. Would an idea be not to drain out the old but simply add pure new as required to top up the system? This would mean that the concentration would gradually get higher.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick

I agree. But you can't seem to buy (I've tried) pure antifreeze. They all seem to be pre-mixed, and usually with water, that they expect you to pay for.

As I said in another post....water I've got.

My system holds 34 litres. So if I buy their pre-mixed stuff, I'm paying for aprox' 17 litres of water or as they say "coolant".

Rob....

1. Use whatever you like/can afford in the BMC, but if changing colour give the whole thing a good flush with several changes of water.

2. Using a 50-50 mix for engines is easy because you can fill pint and pint about. It will also allow you many years of topping up with just water. 30% will be fine over most of the UK and for much I am sure 25% will also be OK. however remember that you are also reducing the amount of corrosion inhibitors if you reduce the antifreeze concentration.

3. At your local council "recycling centre". There is one of our members who seems to know about such things who suggests the Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze breaks down in the environment fairly fast although drinking it even in its diluted form is lethal - especially to cats that Ike its sweet taste. It causes liver or kidney failure.

4. As the concentration increases so the amount of heat that can be carried around the system tends to decrease. It also is very good a locating the smallest leak or loose hose clips etc.

Couple of votes for older type blue/green 2yr antifreeze on a previous topic.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33496

Would only use the newer pink/orange/red 5yr+ stuff on more recent engines where specifically recommended, and don't mix with the above, they are usually incompatible.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

You don't have to buy the pre mixed stuff, I just bought the pink concentrate by comma at my local motor factors £13 for 5 litres.

Neil

Sorry but I think you'll find that, that is still pre-mixed. Just a bit stronger.

The clue is in "concentrate" ie: bring two or more things together.

Rob....

• 2 years later...

Going back to Theo's post because i'm due to change the antifreeze in the boat ( for engine cooling )and would like to fill up with the extended life 'red' antifreeze but the local motor factors at Goole advised me that it is only for modern engines ( as Smiley Pete states ). They mentioned something about aluminium cylinder heads. Can anyone advise if there is an extended life antifreeze suitable for older engines such as my Coventry victor with cast iron barrels and heads or if the regular extended life antifreeze is ok to use. Thanks, Kieron.

Is there any way of measuring the strength of the mix that is currently in the system?

Just want to know if I can top it up with some concentrated blue

Yes, either a refractometer (I bought one for £20) or else a thing like a battery tester (eg here)

I think the issue is usually not so much the antifreeze strength, but whether the anti-corrosion stuff has worn out. I am not aware of any easy way of testing the latter point.

Sorry but I think you'll find that, that is still pre-mixed. Just a bit stronger.

The clue is in "concentrate" ie: bring two or more things together.

concentrate in this context means something different.

noun

a substance made by removing or reducing the diluting agent; a concentrated form of something.

"apple juice concentrate"

Re concentrate, just read the instructions on the pack, to find what low temperature a 50% mix will give you, 33% or 25%

A ready mix should say what it is safe to go down to.

Now there is an optimum low temperature for an antifreeze mix, a 100% concentrated antifreeze mix does not go as low as a 50/50 mix, which seems to offer the best protection for glycol based antifreezes, MORE is NOT better.

If you have a small plastic bottle, 1/3 fill it with your antifreeze, put it in a sealed bag, in case it splits and leave in your freezer for a couple of days, label it up "Poison" to prevent accidental ingestion, then inspect, you need a water content to make sure it goes slushy rather than solid.

Caution... Glycol based antifreezes only last 2-3 years max, as they loose the rust inhibitors, but if you checked them by freezing, they would probably still give you frost protection.

Once we had a core plug rust through on an Austin Ambassador, luckily it was accessible, a screw driver knocked through it and out it popped, hammer a new one in.... sorted

Thanks for link Mac. It's not a problem for me to completely empty & flush the system so i'm not worried about mixing antifreeze types. I'll need 20 litres to give 25% concentration when mixed.I think I might go for the red stuff " What could possibly go wrong ? ".