BMC 1500 - Which Antifreeze??????

Featured Posts

Greetings All,

About to put in antifreeze. The manual(rather old) says antifreeze to BS 3151 or BS 3152. I can't find any with these BS numbers (probably been superceded!!!!). What should I use?

Thanks

Vic

Any decent ethylene glycol anti freeze such as Blucol or Castrol should be OK.

You could read about the technical stuff here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Arthur

If you can use the pink antifreeze its a better option - look for OAT (Organic Acid Technology). It's got a life of 5 years compared to the usual 2, but it does cost more. Not all engines can work with it, however my Isuzu is cast iron and it's been ok for 7 years. Tends to be used by many car manufacturers since its got several advantages over glycol (I did get an explanation of a cooling system expert once but I can't remember why, just that its better),

As said.

Any ethelyne glycol based one, but you must not mix old style blue with never pink/orange types.

You'll need a lot, if your skin tank is any size, and you want to have a good concentration, so well worth shopping motor factors for bulk containers of 20L or 25L, rather than buying lots of 5L ones.