Extra heat source needed at end of boat - Advice??

Rambling

Featured Posts

They just added them to the same series, as a back up in case the Webasto went wrong (which incidentally it just has). It now heats the water but doesn't go to the radiators. Good old squirrel

If it still heats the water it ain't the Webasto that's gone wrong then, its the plumbing.

If it still heats the water it ain't the Webasto that's gone wrong then, its the plumbing.

Yeah, I agree. I think the first step is for you to draw out the plumbing diagram, and post it here, then people can point out improvements. If you don't have, or don't know this, then a little bit of investigation is due.

Seems daft to spend more £££ installing another heating system when you have 2 perfectly good ones already, but that aren't installed properly.

Ok, so I am in Surrey.

Does anyone have a contact that might be able to work out what us going on with it?? and how to get it working more efficiently??

I agree it seems daft to have 2 systems that don't work independently. Interestingly, the Webasto packed up when I had the squirrel already going and water came flying out of the expansion tank in the cupboard.

I am suspecting the pump is not now working and the squirrel is just using convection to heat the radiators after a few hours. The hot water is scalding. I seem to remember that they were going to put a valve to swap between the 2, but didn't eventually.

Edited by Rambling

I like the look of the MIkuni MY16

A good reliable heater, but noisier than the Wallas and a bit overkill at 2kw, (well 1.9ww actually) also despite being on the website the only Mikuni currently available either wet or forced air is the MY30 so unless you can find a used one it's a non starter.

Well obviously I would rather fix what I have first, but when it was working it definitely did not do the trick for the back end of the boat. It was luke warm and I don't fancy February with it like it is.

It will be which is cheaper, separating the existing systems or just adding an extra system at the front end (reverse layout).

The MK30 looks good too. I don't do cold :)

Edited by Rambling

The MK30 looks good too. I don't do cold smile.png

If you installed that in your sleeping cabin it would a) roast you. B) keep you awake with the noise, far better with a little Wallas 1.3 kw which is cheaper and better suited to a small area.

Have you got a link to the Wallas 1.3kw unit? It sounds cool (well Hot might be better) :)

Would it need a seperate tank?

I remember ages ago someone mentioned a 'Zibro' heater :unsure:

Strangely I am sitting beside one, in a house in Eastern France right now !!

Its not going as it is still summer :)

It doesn't seem to have a flue

Zibro Kamin its called

Thread about the Zibro

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14942

Another vote for fan near the fire to circulate hot air. You could go fancy and install some ducting with 12v fans in them between above fire and bedroom.

Plus hot water bottles. And a hat

Plus really good thick curtains and draught-proofing tape on windows. In very cold periods I used to drape scarves/towels over curtain poles too to add a temporary extra layer - it made a huge difference.

And when it is very very cold, sleep in the main cabin where the fire is.

Something that may or may not exist but would be nice is a kind of portable storage heater thingummy you could leave on the fire to heat through during the day, then move to bedroom where it could slowly deliver this heat overnight.

Yeah, I agree. I think the first step is for you to draw out the plumbing diagram, and post it here, then people can point out improvements. If you don't have, or don't know this, then a little bit of investigation is due.

Seems daft to spend more £££ installing another heating system when you have 2 perfectly good ones already, but that aren't installed properly.

I agree it's worth looking into, but from what the OP says the two heating systems can't be used at the same time and each is incapable of heating the entire length of the boat by itself. If a 4.5kW squirrel is at one end of a 70ft boat it may not heat the other end sufficiently especially if it's run on thermocycling without a pump. The same may be true of the diesel heater depending on its kW output.

Cosy cabin LPG heater?

Its a vented system so dry heat and no CO. I fitted a Refleks 66M for the same reason but I can't get on with it I wish I had fitted a Cozy instead although the BSS might be upset i am not sure. They do have ffd and oxygen depletion cutoff. Designed fir yots :)

This

http://www.sigmarine.com/SIG-CCH.html

They turn up on ebay as well sometimes :) i really like the look of them and very convenient to light. but being on mains now I just use electric rads instead.

A taylors diesel heater is another option.

Pansy charcoal stove

Davy hotpot wood stove

I think NC's suggestion of a diesel air blower like a Mikuni MY16 is a good one because warm air is lovely when you are cold and these units cam be started by the flick of a switch / timer / thermostat

Yet another option would be to fit a heater matrix into the existing heating circuit and direct the fan towards the cold spot.

These

http://www.kurandamarine.co.uk/kalori-heater-matrix/kalori-heater-matrix-12v

Interesting that you don't like your Refleks heater when others rave about them. What's the downside?

Ok, so I am in Surrey.

Does anyone have a contact that might be able to work out what us going on with it?? and how to get it working more efficiently??

I agree it seems daft to have 2 systems that don't work independently. Interestingly, the Webasto packed up when I had the squirrel already going and water came flying out of the expansion tank in the cupboard.

I am suspecting the pump is not now working and the squirrel is just using convection to heat the radiators after a few hours. The hot water is scalding. I seem to remember that they were going to put a valve to swap between the 2, but didn't eventually.

I thought you originally said that the stove and diesel heaters only worked independently?

Do you have any valves to isolate one before using the other? I might be wrong but I don't think a webasto will like hot water being pumped through it from the stove.

I agree it's worth looking into, but from what the OP says the two heating systems can't be used at the same time and each is incapable of heating the entire length of the boat by itself. If a 4.5kW squirrel is at one end of a 70ft boat it may not heat the other end sufficiently especially if it's run on thermocycling without a pump. The same may be true of the diesel heater depending on its kW output.

Interesting that you don't like your Refleks heater when others rave about them. What's the downside?

Its a pain to light it. Probably excellent as a continuous burner but just too much agro if you need to light it every day. Too much agro for me anyway :)

I think the OP might want to start the heating without getting out of bed ;)

Maybe I go it wrong.

"easy to light at 3.00am when you are freezing, "

I don't think the Refleks fits that criteria personally. Excellent as a continuous burner I am sure as they are popular and quite expensive.

That Cozy Cabin gas heater seems the best option but it isn't available in the UK.

About the nearest thing to heat 'at the push of a button' at 3am would be a Propex gas heater or a Webasto warm air diesel heater. Neither is simple or cheap to buy or to install, but then for the OP money may be no object!!

MtB

Oops forgot the Propex link: http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/hs2000

I bought a Cozy years ago from the US. I was going to use it in a small motor sailer but never even installed it as I fitted a Davy Hotpot preferring solid fuel. The Cozy stayed in the boat when I sold it... i have seen them on ebay uk occasionally.

Not sure what the official bss stance is on them ? They are not 'room sealed' which might upset the inspector a little :unsure:

Edited by magnetman

That Cozy Cabin gas heater seems the best option but it isn't available in the UK.

About the nearest thing to heat 'at the push of a button' at 3am would be a Propex gas heater or a Webasto warm air diesel heater. Neither is simple or cheap to buy or to install, but then for the OP money may be no object!!

MtB

Oops forgot the Propex link: http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/hs2000

Who wants to get up and push a button.

Timers are the way forward. Stay in bed and let the boat heat up of its own accord whilst you sleep soundly smile.png

Who wants to get up and push a button.

Timers are the way forward. Stay in bed and let the boat heat up of its own accord whilst you sleep soundly smile.png

OR

You could use your mobile to start your heating from the comfort of your pit !,

& if you want to save the price of the text, Just throw your mobile at the start button !.

Some one on here years ago suggested a trunking made of plastic down pipe (square) from warm part of boat to desired destination. Fitted with,as suggested 12v computer fan and you have your very own heat distribution.

To add, not my idea,but doable.

Martyn