Boater with no respect or consideration for anyone else

KenK

Featured Posts

Having looked at the photos it would seem that the guy who put this boat on the lock mooring, besides being a bit of an inconsiderate boater, clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the box either. Can anyone explain why, when mooring alongside some perfectly serviceable bollards, one would faff around using mooring hooks??

Perhaps BW/CRT were "inconsiderate" in not poitioning the bollards correctly for his length of boat.

Sympathies to KenK

The ingnorant sod moored on a lock mooring causing problems for others - plenty of evidence - guilty as charged.

Now who's the dick?

The only evidence presented is two photographs, which could have been taken a few seconds apart, before the boat moved on, and your word that this happened. As far as the pictures are concerned, it's possible the boater was hidden behind the lock structure attempting to find his windlass with a magnet.

If, as has been said, this is a shared ownership boat, all you have achieved is to possibly give the users this week a bad time from people reading your post. There is a very good chance the owners of the boat will never see this post, so will be wondering why some boaters they meet are so up themselves as to ignore them due to the behaviour it is alleged one of them indulged in.

I, too, ask you what exactly you were trying to achieve by naming and shaming the steerer of this boat?

Naming and shaming is a good deterrent, perhaps not to the operator of Twelfth, but to others on here who might be similarly selfish. 18,000 members so on the balance of probabilities I'm sure not all are saintly. They might read and think "blimey, I don't want to have my boat plastered all over the forum, best not to moor improperly / overstay etc". and you never know, maybe mr 12th is a member. That said, some folk are so thick skinned and wrapped up in themselves that even a naming and shaming may not impinge!

I, too, ask you what exactly you were trying to achieve by naming and shaming the steerer of this boat?

What was the name of the steerer, I must have missed it?

• Greenie 1

. As far as the pictures are concerned, it's possible the boater was hidden behind the lock structure attempting to find his windlass with a magnet.

Post 7

"No he didn't move he stayed there all night.

As for the other comments he had a row with the owners of another boat trying to use the lock who told him in no uncertain terms what he was doing was wrong. He just ignored them and went into the boat, there is no excuse for ignorance.ost"

I agree with you Cwm. Last year I got privately narky with a boat moored opposite clearly overstaying. Later on I found out the owner had died aboard and the boat was awaiting relatives to pick it up.

A similar thing has happened/is happening to me as we type. I am moored opposite a CRT visitor 24hr mooring on a Sainsbury bank (you have to cut through a gap in the hedge to get to said shop). There has been a boat there for 4 days now. (1) I have been considering letting CRT know; but why should I as there is a CRT chappie with one of those electronic pad thingys I have seen at least once in the week I have been here. (2) I could go and have a chat to him and point out the error of his ways; but why should I as it's really none of my business and he's not making my life a misery. (3) I should really go over and see if in actual fact he is ok; this I decide to do as it's the right thing to do, I'll go tomorrow morning.

Just saw the chap getting back on board a few hours ago. I do not know, or wish to know the circumstances as to why he is blatantly overstaying on a 24hr mooring which is very handy for the store. The dick.

(3) I should really go over and see if in actual fact he is ok; this I decide to do as it's the right thing to do, I'll go tomorrow morning.

Just saw the chap getting back on board a few hours ago. I do not know, or wish to know the circumstances as to why he is blatantly overstaying on a 24hr mooring which is very handy for the store. The dick.

Is it possible that his boat might have broken down? Perhaps (3) might be the best thing to do?

Is it possible that his boat might have broken down? Perhaps (3) might be the best thing to do?

You would think he might have mentioned this to the boaters complaining to him for mooring there.

And breaking doen does not stop you bow-hauling the boat 70ft off the lock landing. Or is this the excuse you use too? ninja.gif

MtB

You would think he might have mentioned this to the boaters complaining to him for mooring there.

And breaking doen does not stop you bow-hauling the boat 70ft off the lock landing. Or is this the excuse you use too? ninja.gif

MtB

Are you ok MtB. Southern Star is replying to my post about a totally different situation.

D

More likely Daiboy just drained his fuel so he could complain about him not moving.

Ah, what to do eh! Bite and think this is a blatant act of aggression to commence a heated debate. Reply to say at no time was I complaining as I pointed out in my post as it does not affect me; or reply to say that not all overstaying is down to the dick on board. He could be dead and I was suggesting that us boaters should be on the lookout for each other.

Nope, I think I'll keep quiet. It's a good joke though.

• Greenie 1

MtB

Well I haven't actually picked my boat up yet, so I don't have any excuses prepared for something I haven't done. Not like you to be so acerbic Mike, bad day?

Ah, what to do eh! Bite and think this is a blatant act of aggression to commence a heated debate. Reply to say at no time was I complaining as I pointed out in my post as it does not affect me; or reply to say that not all overstaying is down to the dick on board. He could be dead and I was suggesting that us boaters should be on the lookout for each other.

Nope, I think I'll keep quiet. It's a good joke though.

No comment on you was actually intended and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was (badly) parodying the animosity toward anyone who complains about such blatant selfishness and the resultant solution to the problem of bullying the complainant to make the issue go away.

I'll stop it now.

Those who have tried (and failed) to come up with some compassionate reason for the half wit to moor on the lock mooring clearly ignored one of the points of the original poster when he outlined the fact that another boater had got into difficulties because of this idiot's mooring position. If there had been some genuine reason for mooring his boat there would he not have tried to explain it whilst helping the unfortunate boater to get back alongside?

Now for confession time, whilst on the Kennet and Avon last year I too moored on a lock mooring to take lunch. My reason for this was because I couldn't find anywhere else, the map didn't show any obvious moorings ahead for some considerable distance ahead and we were both hungry. As it happens it had been a quiet morning and we hadn't passed any boats so my assessment was that I was unlikely to inconvenience anyone. My additional intention however was to keep a look-out in both directions of the reed lined canal and if anyone started to approach I'd prepare the lock for them and do whatever was necessary so that they wouldn't miss not being able to get onto the lock mooring. I would have to say that if anyone had got into difficulties because of my mooring I would have been mortified but with my additional plan this would be unlikely. The last thing on earth I would have done would be to get into an argument with them as I'm aware that effectively I was 'in the wrong'. The gent the original poster refers to didn't do any of this and as far as I'm concerned fully deserves naming and shaming since he is clearly an arse!

No comment on you was actually intended and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was (badly) parodying the animosity toward anyone who complains about such blatant selfishness and the resultant solution to the problem of bullying the complainant to make the issue go away.I'll stop it now.

Well, for what it's worth I thought you were doing quite a good job with your parody!