Stoke Bruerne

jonk

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise me about turning at SB. I can see from the map that there is a turning point just past the tunnel coming from Gayton but the moorings seem to be beyond that point. I am hoping to visit and then return to Gayton but would rather not have to go through the locks only to turn and go through them all again! Looking at Google maps the area just short of the first lock seems wide enough to wind a 57' but is it? Is it even allowed, I see boats moored there.

Any advice would be welcome.

John

Can anyone advise me about turning at SB. I can see from the map that there is a turning point just past the tunnel coming from Gayton but the moorings seem to be beyond that point. I am hoping to visit and then return to Gayton but would rather not have to go through the locks only to turn and go through them all again! Looking at Google maps the area just short of the first lock seems wide enough to wind a 57' but is it? Is it even allowed, I see boats moored there.

Any advice would be welcome.

John

in Stoke bruerne, you can wind outside the museum, or just after the tunnel. At Blissworth, you can wind near the boatyard.

Is you do down to below the lock after the long point you will be able to turn there, and come back up the one lock and moor. With a full length boat you possibly would need to go down a further lock as that pound is wider there, but I think you will be ok at 57ft in the one below the long pound as I had plenty of space to turn there at 50ft

A turning point??!!!

C'mon, what is their real name? Surely you know!

You'll talking about your 'lock key' next...

;)

MtB

P.S. I dunno the answer to your question though, sorry... :)

I know! I know!

A turny roundy place

That's a party for randy, unattractive, middle class couples isn't it?

Hmmmm, now that never crossed my mind! But it did yours, clearly :)

Now what would be the boaty equivalent of dogging, I wonder.... barge poling?

MtB

Max (and I do mean max) 60' opposite the ice cream sign outside the Boat Inn (all front and rear fenders up) - effectively about a foot or so in front of the fore end of Indian Chief. But watch the wind, watch the lock being drawn - both will affect your ability to wind easily as will boats moored on the lock waiting area so I would choose a quiet time.

More than 60' but less than 68' down three locks (below lock 16) and it is possible to wind.

Full length boat down four locks (below lock 17) to just above the A508 to wind and pop the fore end into the far corner on the east side of the wide bit of the pound. We can wind Sculptor- full length - there with ease.

OR.....

(The latest abomination)

A swinging area...

WTF??!

MtB

To be fair, I think "swinging area" is a river/ship canal term for a winding hole, not just a made up bit of modern nonsense.

Edit to add: but I'm certainly not going to Google that to see if I'm correct.......

To be fair, I think "swinging area" is a river/ship canal term for a winding hole, not just a made up bit of modern nonsense.

Edit to add: but I'm certainly not going to Google that to see if I'm correct.......

I just Googled it and you're right!

(BTW it was result No 5 before anything dodgy appeared :) )

MtB

I can now confirm that a 57' can be turned ( winded) at the water point! Only a couple of feet to spare with the nose on the concrete but a little further towards the lock should allow 60' just since the cut opens slghtly going towards the lock. Pity about the boat in the way - why do commercial boats always seem to be in the way!!

By the way I used turning point since that covers winding holes and other points, whereas winding points does not necessarily cover other points at which a boat can turned/ winded. Perhaps winding points does cover all possible points, I'm not sure?

John

I can now confirm that a 57' can be turned ( winded) at the water point! Only a couple of feet to spare with the nose on the concrete but a little further towards the lock should allow 60' just since the cut opens slghtly going towards the lock. Pity about the boat in the way - why do commercial boats always seem to be in the way!!

By the way I used turning point since that covers winding holes and other points, whereas winding points does not necessarily cover other points at which a boat can turned/ winded. Perhaps winding points does cover all possible points, I'm not sure?

John

From the front of Indian Chief back towards to dry lock the width decreases markedly on the Boat Inn side so 60' (fenders up) is the max width you can wind and is slightly north of Indian Chief. Indian Chief belongs to the Boat Inn and is moored where it is with the agreement of, and appropriate payments to, CRT.

Edited by Leo No2

There is a buoy for swinging on in Lake Lothing at Lowestoft, or at least there was last time I looked