Tow Needed Please

Gert Lush

Featured Posts

Thanks guys for all the advice, your fabulous, (I loved the pulling along idea, think that would get good results lol) I have also been inboxed with a name for someone who may be able to help. I will contact him tomorrow, back on dry land for the evening, collecting further supplies, I've also found a large banner.to attach to the side of the boat pleading for help if the person i've been given a name for can't help tow us. I've also been reading about Marcus and his boat sunk in the Thames, (our situation pales in significance) hubby has some industrial lorry type straps so will message Marcus and see if he can use them. Once again many thanks for all the advice, Sandra

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just to update, we managed to get our tow to Reading on Sunday, thanks to a member who put us in touch with his son eternally grateful as we've made a great friend,

Well now the fun begins because we were going to replace our knackered Lister ST2 engine and put in a Thorneycroft Mistsubishi T80 water cooled,. this is now not going to be possible due to the amount of work involved and the expense of fitting this type of engine. (oh well it did seem a good idea at the time). So we're going to look for a replacement Lister ST2, Any help locating a decent Lister ST2 for sale would be appreciated. I have posted in the Wanted and For sale section of the forum.

Is the ST2 really terminal, or would it be worth a good engineer having a look at it to see if it could be refurbished for less money. You would also be confident it was now a good engine, rather than buying an unknown second hand one. Of course if you buy one from one of the known good restorers then it will be guaranteed good, but will cost more than an unknown one off ebay.

I can send Richard (Primrose Engineering) to give an opinion if that helps.

Sue

Thanks for your replies it does have to be an ST 2 .

Hi Sue not really sure how terminal ours is, it does still try to turn over (making a noise) but we have had problems with it since we got it, it's had to have various parts fitted to it, it's been a costly experience and we've come to the end of our tether, so was just hoping to replace it.. Not sure whats gone on with it now, but when it went wrong the engine just revved up really fast as if it was going to take off,couldn't switch it off, there was loads of smoke and it burned all the oil in the sump. the guy who rescued us was an engineer and he was pretty sure it was the piston.

We have been looking at a company that do reconditioned engines that seem pretty good, where we can part exchange the one we have, but they don't have one available until October. We are wondering about taking it out and the possibility of sending it to a good engineering company to restore.

Regards Sandra

A perfect example of how the forum wins! go team!

Welcome aboard Sandra and good luck!

P.S. - Richard's ya man

Well said.

This forum takes some flak sometimes but it is nice to know that there are people there to help in your times of need where ever in the country you might happen to be.

Well said.

This forum takes some flak sometimes but it is nice to know that there are people there to help in your times of need where ever in the country you might happen to be.

The other stuff is just what we do between the things that matter

Richard

• Greenie 3

Sandra, if you need any more persuasion that Richard/RWLP/Primrose Engineering is a top guy then here's my two penneth'....

I had 6 months of problems with my engine (similar to a Lister) that various engineers had a go at fixing but never quite solved the problems. Eventually I called out Richard and after some diagnostics and a few hours tinkering he had it running like new (and it's 60+ years old) and It hasn't skipped a beat since.

So, not an engine rebuild granted, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Richard to anyone who needs something doing to their engine.

Anyone accepting £500 for towing will need a commercial licence and insurance. A professional tow would (I guess) cost quite a bit more. An amateur tow would cost no more than some beers and perhaps a meal or two, but you will need to find someone going your way whose willing to do it.

It can be done. About twenty years ago I had a boat towed from the Bridgewater Canal to Brentford via the Thames (Blisworth Tunnel was closed at the time) over a period of a few weeks, but it involved calling in a few favours from boating friends, as well as a newly married couple on honeymoon on their newly acquired boat who I only met the weekend before!

A perfect example of how the forum wins! go team!

Welcome aboard Sandra and good luck!

P.S. - Richard's ya man

Just to say thanks for all your comments, we have indeed been supported and made welcome by members of the forum and really do appreciate it. I hope we'll be able to return the support and advice as we get to know and learn more. Well just a quick update, we had a lovely drive from Reading to Kenilworth yesterday delivering the engine to Richard at Primrose Engineering, (he is indeed a lovely man)

We have been to the boat today and started the clean up of the bilge, blimey what a messy job. We're back at Better Boating Caversham tomorrow if anyone agile fancies helping with the mucking out we'd be glad to see you. LOL x

Aunty Mabel may be on borrowed time

Sue has a diagnosis of arthritis, which came on suddenly walking on the drive... Anyway, she's on crutches and off to the fracture clinic Monday

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Aunty Mabel may be on borrowed time

Sue has a diagnosis of arthritis, which came on suddenly walking on the drive... Anyway, she's on crutches and off to the fracture clinic Monday

Richard

I have arthritis pretty bad in a couple of joints. I was recently prescribed a topical ointment that works wonders. My knee hurt for 40 years and this is the only thing that has ever helped. I have the constant thumb joint pain and the cream makes it go away. The ointment has to be made by a compounding pharmacy. I'll send the formula to you, or anyone else for that matter, if Sue wants it. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll get it off to you.