The hunt may be over.

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Went to see this boat on Saturday, had another look today and I think I'll make an offer.

It's not exactly what I originally had in mind, but it's pretty close and I think it's a good blank canvas to start working on.

The spec seems good: I like the 3.5kw travel power (despite the fact that I'll probably be in a marina for a couple of years) and everything else looks sound.

She's a bit run down and neglected, but just needs some hard work and a little love. I can't wait to start.

I would still appreciate your opinions: I'm no expert.

http://www.stmarysmarina.co.uk/rufford_marina/lou2.pdf

Cheers,

T.

Edited by Retardedrocker

For that price I wouldn't expect it to be run down or neglected. You could do a lot better for that money.

Nor from the pics does it look it.

I'm curious by the OP's comments about it being so....

It does seem pricey but I don't see (from the photos) what looks run down about it?

It would appear to be a boat that has been well looked after and probably just needs a bit of work commensurate with age. I do wonder what happened to make it need a new engine - makes me wonder about the wear and tear on other mechanical parts such as gearbox etc

I must say that seems a bit pricey to me....

Have you looked at many boats in that price range?

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth. Yes I have and, to be honest, this is the first one that really comes close to what I want.

I have seen some beauties that were completely impractical as live aboards and some live aboards that looked on the point of disintigration, but they all seem to sell, although at what price I don't know.

I do think that many owners have an over inflated idea of what their boats are actually worth, but I guess there's one born every minute.

Cheers,

T.

Nor from the pics does it look it.

I'm curious by the OP's comments about it being so....

Hi Martin. I understand what you mean.

They used to say that the camera doesn't lie, but estate agents and, I suppose, narrowboat brokers have the knack of, shall we say, making things look better than, in fact, they are.

If it was a house, you could say it needs complete redecoration, new carpet and drapes throughout, re-furnishing and a kitchen makeover. There's a fair amount of rust in the engine bay, which needs to be addressed and the exterior paintwork isn't the gloss as seen in the photo: it's almost matt with a whitish film, a bit like some old red astras you see from time to time.

I wouldn't consider any of this to be structurally detrimental, but I would call it run down and neglected. I understand that the owner is a gentleman of fairly advanced years and I guess buffing the outside (or inside) of a 57 footer can be a daunting task.

With regards to the new engine, I have been told by several people on the marina that the owner's son took the boat out and did something improper to the weed hatch, which resulted in the engine flooding and going bang (?) It was considered more cost effective to replace than repair. This might also explain the rust in the engine bay.

Please keep the comments coming. It's very useful and instructive.

Cheers,

T.

Edited by Retardedrocker

Hi Gareth. Yes I have and, to be honest, this is the first one that really comes close to what I want.

I have seen some beauties that were completely impractical as live aboards and some live aboards that looked on the point of disintigration, but they all seem to sell, although at what price I don't know.

I do think that many owners have an over inflated idea of what their boats are actually worth, but I guess there's one born every minute.

Cheers,

T.

Your not wrong there

Stop knocking my pink Astra its 14 years old and done 204,000 miles.

Now this boat is only 8 years old ? what has it been used as live aboard 52 weeks a year holiday boat max 12 weeks a year ?

Stop knocking my pink Astra its 14 years old and done 204,000 miles.

Now this boat is only 8 years old ? what has it been used as live aboard 52 weeks a year holiday boat max 12 weeks a year ?

Only 204,000 miles?? It's barely run in.

And pink is my favorite colour. sick.gif

I would say holiday boat. 12 weeks & some odd weekends.

Cheers,

T.

If you are looking at boats in the £50k area - dont dismiss new boats, you can get a 55 foot "lined sailaway extra for £40,750", where you just need to do the sort of work you have mentioned

All water, gas and electric 'tails' installed . Just fit the cupboards, sink, toilet and furniture and you have a brand new boat.

http://www.sherwoodboats.co.uk/prices.php

Or you could go for a complete finished boat for £1100 per foot.

No connection with the company but just an idea to put another perspective on your options.

Yes, I would agree with that. Maybe not extremely old, but not particularly current. For example, as I said earlier, the exterior isn't nearly as glossy as the photo indicates.

cheers,

T.

If you are looking at boats in the £50k area - dont dismiss new boats, you can get a 55 foot "lined sailaway extra for £40,750", where you just need to do the sort of work you have mentioned

All water, gas and electric 'tails' installed . Just fit the cupboards, sink, toilet and furniture and you have a brand new boat.

http://www.sherwoodboats.co.uk/prices.php

Or you could go for a complete finished boat for £1100 per foot.

No connection with the company but just an idea to put another perspective on your options.

Hi Alan.

I had been thinking of that but, although I'm pretty handy I don't think I have all the skills to completely fit out a sailaway.

Cheers,

T.

Yes, I would agree with that. Maybe not extremely old, but not particularly current. For example, as I said earlier, the exterior isn't nearly as glossy as the photo indicates.

cheers,

T.

Hi Alan.

I had been thinking of that but, although I'm pretty handy I don't think I have all the skills to completely fit out a sailaway.

Cheers,

T.

And I would add (in support of your position) that there is a huge difference between work that it is desirable to do and work which you have to do. a cooker with a missing handle and cracked tiles in the kitchen is a very different prospect to no kitchen at all!

I know what you mean. There are some shockers out there - both in quality and price.

When I'm looking at a boat, I ask myself if I can see myself there, maybe playing a few tunes (Muddy Waters maybe) and drinking a beer. If the answer is yes, then it's a contender.

There haven't been too many where the answer was yes.

Keep the faith.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep looking, in my experience there is a hell of a lot of dross out there but once in a while you'll find a golden nugget. It's taken me over a year to find a boat I was prepared to lay out the money for a survey for, fingers crossed the vendor and myself will find the common ground but even if we don't, something else will come onto the radar sooner or later, just don't put yourself in a position where you are a "forced buyer".