live aboard power from people that live aboard

Nige123

Featured Posts

Hi guys I am looking into selling my narrow & going back to a wide beam (60ftx12ft) that my wife & I will live on....

So as I am an Electrician I kind of understand the theory behind what kind of power I will need but theory is one thing & I would rather hear from people with experience in living on a boat full time about how they have over come power needs...

I have been looking at generators & I thought the Honda Eu30is is the one for me as it has electric start that I can use from inside the boat & I can run it on LPG so less sloshing petrol about & the hazards that come with that....

Solar panels???? I have 3 small ones that seem to keep my bank of 4 200amp batteries topped up & they don't go flat any more....

Wind power I am told makes to much noise but the VWAT ones may work well?

I run an Eu10 Honda generator now & a 10amp charger & this keeps things going fine by running the generator for a few hours every other night or 3... I have twin 80amp alternators feeding though a splitter thing that charges start battery first with 80amp then puts 160amp into the main bank.....

so guys & girls what is the best set up? as I may have this built into my new boat...

sorry I know this has been hashed out many times but I just want to know what works for you not a tech sheet from some company that wants to flog me stuff or a brain stem that has all the info on a PDF file....

Hi guys I am looking into selling my narrow & going back to a wide beam (60ftx12ft) that my wife & I will live on....

So as I am an Electrician I kind of understand the theory behind what kind of power I will need but theory is one thing & I would rather hear from people with experience in living on a boat full time about how they have over come power needs...

I have been looking at generators & I thought the Honda Eu30is is the one for me as it has electric start that I can use from inside the boat & I can run it on LPG so less sloshing petrol about & the hazards that come with that....

Solar panels???? I have 3 small ones that seem to keep my bank of 4 200amp batteries topped up & they don't go flat any more....

Wind power I am told makes to much noise but the VWAT ones may work well?

I run an Eu10 Honda generator now & a 10amp charger & this keeps things going fine by running the generator for a few hours every other night or 3... I have twin 80amp alternators feeding though a splitter thing that charges start battery first with 80amp then puts 160amp into the main bank.....

so guys & girls what is the best set up? as I may have this built into my new boat...

sorry I know this has been hashed out many times but I just want to know what works for you not a tech sheet from some company that wants to flog me stuff or a brain stem that has all the info on a PDF file....

Stroll on.....

You might want to change your chosen font.

Whatever solar covers your needs in July, will need to be multiplied by ten to cover your needs over three winter months. Washing machines are the current "awkward item" they are sometimes fussy about sine wave purity and voltage stability. There is a huge book by Victron on all aspects of boat power including the all important power audit, how much you will use and where it comes from.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43603#entry803077

it's a free PDF download!

Edited by Arthur Brown

This bit caught my attention!

The hazards of LPG are the same as petrol, i.e. you really don't want the vapour inside your boat. Petrol vapour and LPG behave almost identically.

I hope you mean your are planning to keep the genny outside and just start it remotely from inside the boat. I don't know of ANY petrol genny suitable for installing in a boat.

MtB

Stroll on.....

You might want to change your chosen font.

(Snigger) ahem well a long list, first thing you need to do is list all the electrical kit you expect to be using including pumps, lights etc and do a power audit. From that you will know how much power you will use on a daily basis.

Your next step is to then establish how you are going to replace what you have used from your battery bank. For live aboards the current favourite is solar backed up with a genny, maybe you could run to an inboard cocooned generator for your occasional 240v needs, ie washing machine etc. Another possibility is to have travel power fitted. I suggest you use the search button and look at the sort of set up that Julynian and Justme have as they live off grid and have just about got it sorted.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

yes generator is going in a steel box on the rear of the boat under the rear seating with ventilation etc

One reason for running LPG is not having to fill the gas tank so often & cost....

I have looked at on board diesel gensets but noise is higher

as full time liveaboards our set-up is victron 3000 multi plus, 6 x US 2200 batteries, twin alternators, 950watt solar running on 2 mppt controllers,Honda 2.6i gas conversion we run fridge, freezer,tv,washer and dryer, lappys etc.

Edited by GoodGurl

A soumd deadening box hanging hanging over the the stern with a grating for the floor would be best security and safer option for generator .

But one big boat so loads of room for solar panels tiltable are best with a mppt controller.

Led lights throughout.

We use a 3.5Kw Travelpower through a Victron 12/3000/120 to drive our washing machine/dryer/vacuum

The battery bank is 900Ah (8 x Trojan T105's)

Solar is 960w through an Outback 80 Flexmax.

Solar provides all the (non-washing machine) power we need through the summer months (Fridge, TV, freezer,lights, laptops etc etc)

we overwinter with shorepower (mostly)

It all works well for us

as full time liveaboards our set-up is victron 3000 multi plus, 6 x US 2200 batteries, twin alternators, 950watt solar running on 2 mppt controllers,Honda 2.6i gas conversion we run fridge, freezer,tv,washer and dryer, lappys etc.

many thanks...

you seem to have what I thought was about right I just thought the eu30 was better for the wife to start up....

washer/dryer will be run via generator...

I have used LED & Cree lights in my boats for many years now the rest is tv & fridge my current boat has 12v fridge & it seems to drain the battery bank way quicker then the 240v fridge/freezer in my old boat?

We use a 3.5Kw Travelpower through a Victron 12/3000/120 to drive our washing machine/dryer/vacuum

The battery bank is 900Ah (8 x Trojan T105's)

Solar is 960w through an Outback 80 Flexmax.

Solar provides all the (non-washing machine) power we need through the summer months (Fridge, TV, freezer,lights, laptops etc etc)

we overwinter with shorepower (mostly)

It all works well for us

yes we too will pay up for winter months & plug in as we are looking at living on the Thames for the dry months.....again many thanks for the input it all helps as it's real world feedback...

many thanks...

you seem to have what I thought was about right I just thought the eu30 was better for the wife to start up....

washer/dryer will be run via generator...

I have used LED & Cree lights in my boats for many years now the rest is tv & fridge my current boat has 12v fridge & it seems to drain the battery bank way quicker then the 240v fridge/freezer in my old boat?

yes we too will pay up for winter months & plug in as we are looking at living on the Thames for the dry months.....again many thanks for the input it all helps as it's real world feedback...

our fridge and freezer are both 12v and don't drain the batteries, maybe the solar keeps that in check.

yes generator is going in a steel box on the rear of the boat under the rear seating with ventilation etc

One reason for running LPG is not having to fill the gas tank so often & cost....

I have looked at on board diesel gensets but noise is higher

Good luck passing a BSS with that!

:)

MtB

I have 1500 amp hour of full traction batteries 900w flexi solar wispergen which is 72 amps at 12 volt 12v fridge freezer led or compact florescents washing machine and dishwasher nand TVs etc it all works for me in the winter the wispergen runs for 3.5 hours daily which heats water and rads as well. Engine wise its a 160 domestic alternator and smaller engine alternator

Peter

If you don't like his font, why fully copy and paste it??

er.

I didn't, I simply used 'quote'

Interestingly it's perfectly legible on a PC (which I am on now), but completely illegible on Safari on an iPad. (which I was on last night)

Edited by The Dog House

I also live aboard and wanted the set up of my boat to be as easy and suitable to the way I live that I could afford. I run a 12 v fridge and 12v freezer. I have a stupid amount of gadgets such as microwave, washing machine, bread maker, fat fryer, travel kettle and hair straighteners!

I have set the boat up baring in mine I am at work a lot. I have 4x 110 amp gel batteries and a 95 amp alternator with 3x 125w solar panels. I run a 3 kva pure sine wave invertor which will run all the above without the engine running. (obviously not at the same time!).

I decide against a large genny as I already have one engine to service and run, although I still have a small 1kw silent one which I haven't used for over 5 years.

When I get home my batteries at the moment are sat around 13.4 and I am currently having an alternative way to heat water without having to run my engine on such days.

None of the above equipment cost me top dollar, but I did shop around and grab bargains when I saw them. It can be done.icecream.gif

that's why I will use a Honda one that can be removed like I do now....

Sounds like a unique set-up.

Where will you get your gas tank filled - are there any boat yards that sell 'bulk' gas ?

So - you plan to remove the LPG powered generator when the boat is being assessed for its BSS, what will you do with the pipe going to your gas tank - just blank it off ?

I think you will find (I stand to be corrected) that if you add an appliance after the BSS then that item will not have been deemed 'safe' - if you have a fire which is traced to that appliance then you may have problems with your insurance.

Just in case you are not aware - as a liveaboard you cannot have a 'knowledgable mate' connect up the gas, it must be a fully qualified Gas Safe person with LPG and Boat endorsements on his ticket.

So - you plan to remove the LPG powered generator when the boat is being assessed for its BSS, what will you do with the pipe going to your gas tank - just blank it off ?

I think you will find (I stand to be corrected) that if you add an appliance after the BSS then that item will not have been deemed 'safe' - if you have a fire which is traced to that appliance then you may have problems with your insurance.

Just in case you are not aware - as a liveaboard you cannot have a 'knowledgable mate' connect up the gas, it must be a fully qualified Gas Safe person with LPG and Boat endorsements on his ticket.

We also have an LPG converted Honda genny and are thinking of installing a BBQ gas socket in the gas locker - something like this:

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Bullfinch_Caravan_Gas_BBQ_Point.html

I guess that would be acceptable? I note that a recent boat test in Waterways World or Canal Boat magazine had something similar built in from new so it must comply with the regulations I would have thought.

Ken

Sounds like a unique set-up.

Where will you get your gas tank filled - are there any boat yards that sell 'bulk' gas ?

Honda sell Dual fuel kits for all it's silent run generators & the pipe connects to a standard gas bottle & you can pick your size from small to massive......

you turn off the petrol cock & use the gas bottle & if the bottle runs out you can use petrol again...

er.

I didn't, I simply used 'quote'

Interestingly it's perfectly legible on a PC (which I am on now), but completely illegible on Safari on an iPad. (which I was on last night)

Stroll on.....

You might want to change your computer.....

I also live aboard and wanted the set up of my boat to be as easy and suitable to the way I live that I could afford. I run a 12 v fridge and 12v freezer. I have a stupid amount of gadgets such as microwave, washing machine, bread maker, fat fryer, travel kettle and hair straighteners!

I have set the boat up baring in mine I am at work a lot. I have 4x 110 amp gel batteries and a 95 amp alternator with 3x 125w solar panels. I run a 3 kva pure sine wave invertor which will run all the above without the engine running. (obviously not at the same time!).

I decide against a large genny as I already have one engine to service and run, although I still have a small 1kw silent one which I haven't used for over 5 years.

When I get home my batteries at the moment are sat around 13.4 and I am currently having an alternative way to heat water without having to run my engine on such days.

None of the above equipment cost me top dollar, but I did shop around and grab bargains when I saw them. It can be done.icecream.gif

many thanks......

You might want to change your computer.....

Not really, it works just fine and dandy with the standard font the forum uses. I posted as I was concerned people who might be able to help you would not actually be able to read what you were asking. Lots of people on here use iPads and phones to read the forum so it's worth remembering that posting in anything other than the non standard font (Which in most circumstances is more than adequate) may mean people cannot read what you have posted, or may find it so difficult to decipher they give up trying.