What's your perfect mooring preferences/criteria?

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Just wondered what you look for in a perfect mooring (views, near other boats, pubs, WiFi!)? ....I have to confess, having an interest in trains, I quite like mooring up near railway lines...I'm just a big kid really...

Whilton Marina may have a vacancy, you'd love it there.

It's hard to quantify what I'd consider an ideal mooring.Tranquillity would perhaps be a priority - but I recently moored in the middle of Cropredy during the festival and thoroughly enjoyed the bustle and atmosphere. Perhaps it's the wide variety of moorings which appeals to me.

Bugsworth basin is a good example. Big, interesting, good views..plenty of space in three basins..couple of very nice pubs...facilities with water,toilets etc. 48 hours but if you want to stop longer simply ask and they agree. Town and supermarket a short walk away. Trains and bus stops nearby. Bugsworth has a fascinating industrial heritage. Its almost in a National Park with loads of cycle lanes. Buxton and its theatre is a short bus ride away. New Mills and its fascinating quirky town just a short walk down the towpath. Am struggling to spot the downside!

IMO it depends on what you are doing, Nice night, fancy a pint? then walking distance of pub. Feeling anti-social? back end of nowhere. Feel like a take away, has to be near a town........and on and on. If you are talking about a permanent mooring for living aboard then other priorities, security, peace and quiet. One essential for me always is somewhere the morning sun falls on the boat!

Just wondered what you look for in a perfect mooring (views, near other boats, pubs, WiFi!)? ....I have to confess, having an interest in trains, I quite like mooring up near railway lines...I'm just a big kid really...

Various - it depends on how we are feeling at the time.

But I too like to moor up close to the railways (Jan is not so keen though)

Here we are at Newark (Nether lock) Train spotters heaven (But no go good if you like a lie in)

WxHYrSG.jpg

Depends on our mood at the time. Sometimes we want peace and quiet, othertimes we fancy the hustle and bustle of a city centre mooring.

We quite like our home mooring. Even though it's in a busy marina with shops bars and restaurants we are far enough away from it all that we don't get the noise but still feel in the thick of the action.

I've been quite surprised how few boats are moored up on 48hr VM's this Summer, especially the ones which have been converted from 14 day (Stoke Bruerne for example).

Just a thought, some boaters prefer to moor up near other boaters for security, especially if they need to leave their boat for a few days. Maybe there's a knock on effect if many of us are now mooring up in remaining 14 day moorings.

You have, I assume, a horse drawn boat, or a rowing boat on the lake?

No,but it's a wonderful experience to be on electric and steam-powered boats. What irritates me is mooring up for the evening in a nice quiet place and then someone else stops and leaves their engine running or fires up a generator.

I don't expect everyone to share my view but over many years of boating I know that I'm not alone.

• Greenie 1

Personally for me, the routes available on the canal system near that marina - so that means over time, the particular marina will change as once you've done a few years somewhere then you'll want to explore somewhere new. And given the (what I perceive) as high costs of mooring vs amount of facilities, CCing at £0 is very attractive.

Personally for me, the routes available on the canal system near that marina - so that means over time, the particular marina will change as once you've done a few years somewhere then you'll want to explore somewhere new. And given the (what I perceive) as high costs of mooring vs amount of facilities, CCing at £0 is very attractive.

Horses for courses really...don't forget you may end up with higher running costs if you are moving around a lot. Security is an issue for some and you can't always guarantee a mooring you like. No! Being a CC'er is terrible...best stay in the marina...;)

Whilton Marina may have a vacancy, you'd love it there.

My idea of hell. Plenty of trains but 99% of the freight uses the other line via Northampton:-(

You will often find me at Huddlesford, south of Polesworth or south of Ansty.

George ex nb Alton retired

No,but it's a wonderful experience to be on electric and steam-powered boats. What irritates me is mooring up for the evening in a nice quiet place and then someone else stops and leaves their engine running or fires up a generator.

I don't expect everyone to share my view but over many years of boating I know that I'm not alone.

The joy of boating of course is if you don't like the neighbours you can just up sticks and move on

Depends on my mood and what I need at the time. My favourite mooring (especially in winter) are the flashes near Middlewich. Often quiet (or in winter, I'm often the only one there!).

Sometimes it's nice to be in the hustle and bustle of a large town or city, but I struggle with crowds, so I'm usually happiest somewhere quiet.

The joy of boating of course is if you don't like the neighbours you can just up sticks and move on

I know, but if you have spent time banging in mooring pins (I like my stakes well done) and springs it's a pain to have to do it again, especially after a long day. I usually head off to the pub early.

I just cruised up the Thamesfrom Richmond. Have found lovely spots all the way up. Worst place was eton by railway bridge and had to pay. Abingdon is nice but I'm on es moorings which is supposed to be 24 hours. This is my secondnight because regatta in oxford and moorings are busy. Downstreamthriugh abingdon lock you can moor for 5 days no charge alongside water meadows but only 5 min walk into town.

A few years ago in my old boat I went on a 7 month holiday in that time we had some great moorings and some not so great but the one that I was glad that someone else beat me to was at Paddington basin. A boat beat me by seconds to a mooring at the entrance under the trees. The next morning after a stormy night a tree had come down and sunk said boat boat.gif so after that I have reservations about mooring under treeshelp.gif

Peter

I agree with what Mango has said. I love peace and quiet and hate to hear engines or generators running in the evening.

I wish that boaters would use the modern technology available to reduce electrical needs, thus removing the need to run generators or engines and destroy the tranquility.