Best way to siphon diesel?

LankyStreak

Featured Posts

I generally buy my red diesel in 20 litre jerrycans whenever I'm passing the cheapest seller around here in my car. I later transfer the fuel from the jerrycan into the stern tank of my boat. Sometimes I siphon it the old-fashioned way with a plastic tube, sucking but trying not to get a mouthful of diesel. I also have a Draper self-priming siphon but the one-way valve inside the rubber priming bulb keeps coming off so I nearly always have to take it to pieces, and anyway the valve restricts the flow so it's very slow to siphon 20 litres.

What is the best way to siphon diesel out of a can without swallowing it or spilling any?

If you use a flexible hose that is long enough, all you need to do is immerse as much of the pipe as you can into the full can of fuel, then put your thumb over the end of the pipe and pull it out carefully. Put the end into your tank and release your thumb. Fuel should flow as you have self primed it.

Bob

• Greenie 1

That seems to rather complicate things - why not just use a funnel or a 'jerrycan spout' and pour it in ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jerry-can-spout-with-flexible-nozzle-/181485055281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a415a2d31

£6.86 Inc P&P

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-FLEXIBLE-SPOUT-FITS-BOTH-10-20-LITRE-METAL-JERRY-CANS-EXO1123-/181491215094?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a41b82af6

£4.99 + P&P

$T2eC16hHJG8FGr3qLVuiBSKGJuc7Zw~~60_35.J

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It sounds as though you can handle 20 litre containers so why not get yourself a big funnel and pour it in? When I was on the Lanky and had to buy diesel in a borrowed 20 litre jerrycan, as canal side diesel pumps were non-existent, that's what I did. I only had a small funnel but placed some rags round the filler to catch any splashes.

It sounds as though you can handle 20 litre containers so why not get yourself a big funnel and pour it in? When I was on the Lanky and had to buy diesel in a borrowed 20 litre jerrycan, as canal side diesel pumps were non-existent, that's what I did. I only had a small funnel but placed some rags round the filler to catch any splashes.

Yes I've tried that but my boat's got a standard filler flush with the deck. If I put a funnel in I can't then see the level of fuel in the tank so risk over-filling it and a spillage.

A full jerrycan isn't the easiest thing to handle because of its weight. My experience of those jerrycan spouts is that the seal between the can and the spout isn't always perfect and you get a drip-drip of diesel all over your shoes as you pour it. Maybe I'm just not handling the can right.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/Mechanics+Tools/Jiggle+Siphon/d60/sd180/p46767

Also available in screwfix. Quickly empties a can with no mess.

The plastic syphons that have a concertina type pump on them are crap, they split on the seam fairly easily.

I have used an outboard priming bulb and fuel line but its quite slow with 8mm bore pipe.

That seems to rather complicate things - why not just use a funnel or a 'jerrycan spout' and pour it in ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jerry-can-spout-with-flexible-nozzle-/181485055281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a415a2d31

£6.86 Inc P&P

$_57.JPG

That looks brilliant Alan, thank you. I just went to buy it but sadly it's no longer available. I'll keep a look out for another one.

I use those plastic containers that you can get free from those hand car wash places. Wash them out and they're fine for diesel. The mouth is bigger and is sufficient to allow one of those small 12v pumps to enter. Bingo! Fuel transfer by electric pump.

Bob

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/Mechanics+Tools/Jiggle+Siphon/d60/sd180/p46767

Also available in screwfix. Quickly empties a can with no mess.

The plastic syphons that have a concertina type pump on them are crap, they split on the seam fairly easily.

I have used an outboard priming bulb and fuel line but its quite slow with 8mm bore pipe.

Ahh! Now that looks a possibility. I haven't tried one of these. Thanks Gazza.

Try putting can up on taff or somewhere stable. Put hose in can & tank then put hand in fist shape over can top and just blow into can. Was shown this years ago. Seems to work ok for me & i'm a 30 a day ashmatic :-]

Bring me a full can round & I can demonstrate!

• Greenie 2

I have one of these jiggle pump siphon things

They are excellent.

Forgive my ignorance but I've never seen these jiggle siphons before. How do you use it? Does the metal end go into the jerrycan you're siphoning out of, or is that the end that you put into the boat's tank? Do you then somehow shake the tube to prime it? I've just read a positive review on Amazon from a boater who uses one for exactly the same purpose as me.

Try putting can up on taff or somewhere stable. Put hose in can & tank then put hand in fist shape over can top and just blow into can. Was shown this years ago. Seems to work ok for me & i'm a 30 a day ashmatic :-]

Bring me a full can round & I can demonstrate!

Of course! Yes I understand what you mean Dinz. That's brilliant! If you get a good seal around the neck of the jerrycan I suppose the extra pressure of you blowing forces the fuel up the pipe and primes the siphon. Thank you, I can't wait to give it a try!

Yes. Metal end in can. Shake up and down a couple of times, Bob's yer uncle etc :-)

Some years ago I had a jiggle car wash brush - same principle, end of hose in a bucket, jiggle the pipe and water came out through the brush head - you just had to remember to change hands after 99 jiggles

Ha ha! I though of typing a similar comments

Forgive my ignorance but I've never seen these jiggle siphons before. How do you use it? Does the metal end go into the jerrycan you're siphoning out of, or is that the end that you put into the boat's tank? Do you then somehow shake the tube to prime it? I've just read a positive review on Amazon from a boater who uses one for exactly the same purpose as me.

I too have one of these &, as has been said, it's brilliant. Very simple & clean to use.

What you do is insert the metal tube containing the ball bearing into the full can & place the other end into your tank filler, then you push the metal end up & down (jiggle) in the fuel, you will see fuel rise in the tubing until it reaches tipping point & it will siphon the fuel into the tank. All you have to do is hold it in place. Simples.

And you don't get diesel in your gob!

Edited by Spuds

Thanks Ade, and everyone else who offered advice. I've just ordered a jiggle siphon.

Lanky

I also use one to transfer diesel, it's great and clean. Once it's started, you can leave it and do something else if you like, too.

There's several sizes, I've a smaller one but want a bigger size when I get around to it.

It's worth putting the hose into hot water and shaping the entire thing into a long U shape, this makes it easier to use than coiled up.

Of course! Yes I understand what you mean Dinz. That's brilliant! If you get a good seal around the neck of the jerrycan I suppose the extra pressure of you blowing forces the fuel up the pipe and primes the siphon. Thank you, I can't wait to give it a try!

That's how I've been doing it for more than 25 years, it works really well, without using electrics or any gadgets.

Peter.