River Weaver

junior

Featured Posts

We travelled the Weaver last summer, from Anderton to Winsford. Wonderful trip. Felt as if we had the whole river to ourselves. Hardly another boat in sight the whole trip. Moored at Vale Royal. Lovely spot.

Good advice, if it looks like rain, to not tie up too tightly. It rained heavily the night we moored at Vale Royal and the river rose just a couple of inches or so, but enough to make me get out in the middle of the night and slacken off.

I loved the combination of industrial landscapes and nature, often right next to each other.

Thoroughly recommend it. Enjoy!!

538969_10151815600792959_560639705_n.jpg

1003182_10151815601882959_1387719731_n.j

557889_10151820357732959_1031726476_n.jp

I love the Weaver too, but Zebra mussels are an invasive species that causes various problems and it is well known that boats help to disperse them. Once again, biological control could help overcome the problem.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting? I think the horse has very much bolted as far as Britain's connected inland waterways are concerned. I know the Irish are trying hard not to let them into their inland lakes etc.

Or, are you saying there's a natural predator which could be brought in here? Always a risky idea.

Tim

Going to get this thread closed, all this talk of how great the Weaver ,will just get it all clogged up with boaters. Pah!

Last thing we want, will ruin it for those of us that have already found it.

ps. Found it last year, well we knew it was there but had not had time before to go down, only planned on a couple of days, big mistake, stayed nearer to ten and then only came back up because we really had to be somewhere.

Going to get this thread closed, all this talk of how great the Weaver ,will just get it all clogged up with boaters. Pah!

ps. Found it last year, well we knew it was there but had not had time before to go down, only planned on a couple of days, big mistake, stayed nearer to ten and then only came back up because we really had to be somewhere.

Yeah, its rubbish, don't go. The pictures on this thread are all photoshopped too, it doesn't look like that at all. The lift's dead boring and old fashioned too.

Just to let you know - there is very low water in the river - ducks and swans are walking on the bottom and several cars and vans are using it as a short cut

No need to come unless we have at least 365 days of constant rain icecream.gif

Ray

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

PS not realy give us a toot when you pass Northwich Marina

Ray cheers.gif

I love the Weaver too, but Zebra mussels are an invasive species that causes various problems and it is well known that boats help to disperse them. Once again, biological control could help overcome the problem.

Too late, mate. We get mussels on our hull and we are in the Midlands

Richard

I'm not sure what you are suggesting? I think the horse has very much bolted as far as Britain's connected inland waterways are concerned. I know the Irish are trying hard not to let them into their inland lakes etc.

Or, are you saying there's a natural predator which could be brought in here? Always a risky idea.

Tim

Undoubtedly there is a risk but we will not be able to assess that until biocontrol agents have been identified, developed and tested. Yes I hope that biocontrol will provide a solution but it is too early to tell.

Richard

You will find them on the K&A too. Because they stick to boats, eradicating them from part of the network can only be a temporary solution.

Too late, I think. It was so busy at Devil's Garden over Easter that boats were breasting up; never seen that before. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that good moorings are few and far between, although there are lots of places you can tie up for the night if you don't mind staying on board (or getting to work with your machette).

The lock-keeper at Vale Royal can tell you how many boats are on the upper part of the river and likewise the Dutton Lock-keeper can tell you how many boats are on the lower reaches and give you an idea of what to expect.

The photo below was taken on Easter Monday evening when things had quietened down.

easterDG_zps6dc4847b.jpg

Time for me to roll out the time-lapse video again I think, apologies for those that think not again, but perhaps some who are interested in the Weaver have not seen it.

We enjoyed it, went down stream as far a Weston Marsh lock, and stopped to take a look over the "big" ship canal. Devils Garden was full so we stopped just down stream where we managed to get reasonably into the side. I remember when we were moored there overnight looking at the water and thinking that you could not tell which way was up/down stream the flow was so low. For what it is worth we did it with no anchor and no life jackets, but I am not saying those were wise choices.

Edited by john6767

Richard

We have loads of them on the Fossdyke/Witham.

Boat has them on the sterndrive every year despite being pulled out every 12 months.

Zebra mussels are very widespread.

That's a lovely thing to share "hey isn't it lovely, let's keep it private"

I was stunned by how few boats we encountered on the Weaver and how wonderful the help from the lockies was. I'm sorry but the Weaver needs more traffic to keep those full time lockies in business. It's an amazing waterway folks, and please don't be scared off by the "river" label - it's a pusseycat. Enjoy the anderton lift - love the weaver - pleae. That keeps it open for the rest of us.

Speeling and punctuation stuffed because it's 01.38 where I am - time for beddy byes - night night folks xxx

That's a lovely thing to share "hey isn't it lovely, let's keep it private"

I was stunned by how few boats we encountered on the Weaver and how wonderful the help from the lockies was. I'm sorry but the Weaver needs more traffic to keep those full time lockies in business. It's an amazing waterway folks, and please don't be scared off by the "river" label - it's a pusseycat. Enjoy the anderton lift - love the weaver - pleae. That keeps it open for the rest of us.

Speeling and punctuation stuffed because it's 01.38 where I am - time for beddy byes - night night folks xxx

Whooshhh!!

It must have been the early/late hour, you missed the 'tone' of the post admittedly the smilie was not visible

cheers.gif

Edit: to remove double quote

Edited by bottle

Whooshhh!!

It must have been the early/late hour, you missed the 'tone' of the post admittedly the smilie was not visible

cheers.gif

Edit: to remove double quote

Sorry - a bit too much wine blush.png

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

In Northwich opposite the new marina there is a mooring with a 'Trip Boat Mooring' sign. It's the first space after the first swing bridge coming from Anderton. The sign is very faded and almost unreadable. I presume there is no trip boat anymore as I have seen no evidence of one in the last 24hrs and Google provides no evidence.

In Northwich opposite the new marina there is a mooring with a 'Trip Boat Mooring' sign. It's the first space after the first swing bridge coming from Anderton. The sign is very faded and almost unreadable. I presume there is no trip boat anymore as I have seen no evidence of one in the last 24hrs and Google provides no evidence.

You are fine to moor there but keep it yourself as we don't want just anyone mooring there. Trip boat stopped a few years ago

Hi,

There are proposals to revive the "trip boat" but it is being opposed by the good folk at Anderton as it "will take our trade away" - however I note that there are moorings on the site of the new Barrons Quey development so maybe there is hope for a tripper Anderton to the new attraction

Ray

Hi,

There are proposals to revive the "trip boat" but it is being opposed by the good folk at Anderton as it "will take our trade away" - however I note that there are moorings on the site of the new Barrons Quey development so maybe there is hope for a tripper Anderton to the new attraction

Ray

If anyone is wondering where all CRT's money is going, a quick trip to Anderton will reveal all.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 16777216) (tried to allocate 85 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classDbMysqliClient.php on line 471

Agree (with Junior's post #46, which I quoted but got the above error) - there does seem to be a vast inequity in the CRT spend. There's got to be 10 or more staff at the Anderton lift and visitor centre, and yes the cakes etc are expensive but I bet its loss-making overall. Given that boaters themselves decided that no charge should be made for using the lift, and that's the situation at the moment, all I can advise is for people to make best use of it since its been restored and there for using!

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 16777216) (tried to allocate 85 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classDbMysqliClient.php on line 471

Agree (with Junior's post #46, which I quoted but got the above error) - there does seem to be a vast inequity in the CRT spend. There's got to be 10 or more staff at the Anderton lift and visitor centre, and yes the cakes etc are expensive but I bet its loss-making overall. Given that boaters themselves decided that no charge should be made for using the lift, and that's the situation at the moment, all I can advise is for people to make best use of it since its been restored and there for using!

Have they not closed the regional office at Nantwich and moved them into Anderton? For example they take the bookings there for Monty and local enforcement are based there. I must say I don't think many would object to a charge for using the lift with normal concessions for OAP, s :)

I must say I don't think many would object to a charge for using the lift with normal concessions for OAP, s smile.png

Enough did, to make it policy that it's free (I know you're joking). I agree, they should charge really (but I would say that, I've done it 7 times now, and got my money's worth of the licence out of it) (I am joking too).