Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Hello Chalice. I passed you this morning as you were heading out of Leeds.

I've moored at the Wakefield VM, most recently a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems. The Ruddy Duck was closed for renovations. As you say it"s between two failrly busy road bridges, but was fine for an overnight.

Thornes lock is the first one where you can try out the handspike. The top gates have a windlass operated ground paddle but the gate paddle uses a "Yorkshire Key".

NilesMI, NB Take Five

I think this is the problem.

If you jump in with both feet, shouting at the kids, saying "You shouldn't be doing that! / Why aren't you in school?" or somesuch then you will get trouble.

When I started teaching I learned very quickly that a confrontational attitude like that just puts backs up and doesn't work.

Hardly unexpected some boaters being a bit off with the kids they encounter when the lockies have got them ready for war!

I also live close to the area, and it's nothing like these lockies are making out.

Edit to ask.. so did you have any issues with the locals on the way through?

No - I thought I had posted something somewhere on arrival, but perhaps not.

Nice easy run in, and everybody friendly.

Was that Chalice moored in the first arm at Granary Wharf when I looked down from Leeds station this morning?

Yes, but I think Cath may have said that already. "Grace and Favour" of this forum was moored just around the corner too, and I would like to publicly thank him for loadsa of helpful advice, and loan of some equipment. (THe forum at its best, when people help soi much).

Did you see my earlier post about a hand spike, you will need one shortly but I can't see that you clocked my post about it?

You have made good progress, I was concerned you may not have got onto the Aire but the levels seem fine despite the rain.

Yes, as again I think Cath has replied, finally got one at Stanley Ferry, after failing to several other places. (Expensive bit of hardwood!).

As Cath says it has been an "interesting day". Some of the river bits were into the yellow, but not by much I think. Far more of a problem has been the wind, which on occasions has gusted heavily enough to cause rolling waves to be breaking over the head of some of the lock gates. Where it has pinned us to a side where we have had to stop for locks, it has taken two of us at full strength to get "unstuck" again. Then, curiously 20 minutes later it has died right down with no gusting at all.

Hello Chalice. I passed you this morning as you were heading out of Leeds.

I've moored at the Wakefield VM, most recently a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems. The Ruddy Duck was closed for renovations. As you say it"s between two failrly busy road bridges, but was fine for an overnight.

Thornes lock is the first one where you can try out the handspike. The top gates have a windlass operated ground paddle but the gate paddle uses a "Yorkshire Key".

NilesMI, NB Take Five

Yes that was us, of course. I quickly became more pre-occupied by not having noticed where you had appeared from, and hence not being totally confident where I should go. The position of the flood gates as you approach looks rather different on from how it seemed on the map!

On the topic of lockies, we arrived at the top of the Bingley 5 rise by 15:00, when CRT say the last arrival for a passage through and beyond is 17:00.

Cath was initially told that we might not be let through today, as a wide beam was at the bottom of the 3 rise, and that would need to come up through all 8 locks, and hence we might not go down today.

Eventually he said that boat had not come up any of those locks at all, so he would set the 5 rise and let us down it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I don't see why the CRT web-site says you will get a passage if you turn up at the top by 17:00, but the man on the ground is telling people who arrive 2 hours earlier they may not be let through.

they are only children mostly larking

about swimming in the lock, the area is

quite deprived for a big city and they possibly

don't have money to spend on entertainment.

i wish people wouldn't be so scared of them, maybe engage with

them, have a chat , give them a chance,they mostly

have nothing and nothing to look forward to

in the future....who knows, if you could interest them,

they could become the boaters of the future

We used to play around that area when we were kids. You wouldn't have got me swimming in the locks though, now way!

But some friends did. We never bothered any one, or any boaters passing through. In fact, it's watching and sometimes helping the boats through the locks, that always made me want to own a boat.

So there you go.

smile.png

Edited by Gazboatman

Yes that was us, of course. I quickly became more pre-occupied by not having noticed where you had appeared from, and hence not being totally confident where I should go. The position of the flood gates as you approach looks rather different on from how it seemed on the map!

That sounds like Knotstrop and yes it's a bit confusing and not entirely obvious which way you go when you first see it.

Oh yes, Chalice in Granary Wharf Arm this morning.

Did you get charged for mooring in the arm rather than along the front?

Given your progress today I guess you'll be aiming for Brighouse tomorrow, Hebden Bridge on Wednesday and the Summit on Thursday. Plenty of pubs and eateries in Brighouse and Hebden Bridge (though I can't help with the veggie options). The pub at East Summit closed some time ago and is now being converted into a house. The nearest pub is the Summit Inn at the other end of the top pound - about a mile's walk. I'll drop by on my way home on Wednesday to see if you are in Hebden.

Just a reminder that if you are going through Tuel Lane on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday you need to give CRT 24 hours notice of passage, and East and West Summit Locks are locked at 4.00pm.

See http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/649/opening-times-locks-1-2-and-tuel-lane-deep-lock and http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1212/summit-pound-locks-36-37 .

Did you get charged for mooring in the arm rather than along the front?

In short - yes!

Just a reminder that if you are going through Tuel Lane on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday you need to give CRT 24 hours notice of passage, and East and West Summit Locks are locked at 4.00pm.

See http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/649/opening-times-locks-1-2-and-tuel-lane-deep-lock and http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1212/summit-pound-locks-36-37 .

All reminders much appreciated.

I'm confused though now, because we were told by another forum member we have to make an actual booling to go over the summit. (I may be remembering wrong, but thought they said only one pair of boats allowed each way each day???).

But I can't find anything about booking anything, other than for Tuel Lane locks on those midweek days.

What's the full story please, if anybody knows latest situation.

You had to book over the summit and for the drop into Manchester when we did the trip 2 years ago, but I believe booking is no longer required. The latest info online is in the link I posted. They obviously had some water problems in mid June, but given the amount of rain we had yesterday it should be OK for a few days. Best to ring CRT if in doubt.

You had to book over the summit and for the drop into Manchester when we did the trip 2 years ago, but I believe booking is no longer required. The latest info online is in the link I posted. They obviously had some water problems in mid June, but given the amount of rain we had yesterday it should be OK for a few days. Best to ring CRT if in doubt.

Thanks,

To show what part of today was like on the Aire and Calder, these two photos were taken by David, as we were preparing to leave this end of King's Road Lock.

Nothing else was happening here but gusting wind - I've never seen anything like it on a UK inland waterway - is it really this much tougher in the North?

CIMG6016_zpse374d104.jpg

CIMG6017_zpse2726381.jpg

Thanks,To show what part of today was like on the Aire and Calder, these two photos were taken by David, as we were preparing to leave this end of King's Road Lock.Nothing else was happening here but gusting wind - I've never seen anything like it on a UK inland waterway - is it really this much tougher in the North?CIMG6016_zpse374d104.jpgCIMG6017_zpse2726381.jpg

Looks like rough sea.

Thanks,To show what part of today was like on the Aire and Calder, these two photos were taken by David, as we were preparing to leave this end of King's Road Lock.Nothing else was happening here but gusting wind - I've never seen anything like it on a UK inland waterway - is it really this much tougher in the North?CIMG6016_zpse374d104.jpgCIMG6017_zpse2726381.jpg

Sorry Alan but this can be the norm up here.

A combination of the width of the waterways and how exposed they are......

Good night in Wakefield - though we seem to be absolutely the only boat visiting.

I can strongly recommend "Fernandes Brewery Tap", which is about a half mile walk into town, and brews its own very delicious beers.

Today we will find out if most Calder & Hebble locks are as tough as the only one we got to do yesterday. If David was struggling, then Cath and I surely will!

Anything special to be aware of as we tackle the C&H?

If you were in Stubbing Wharf I hope you saw the poster on the wall. RHS near window as you face the canal. Avery old one advertising my family's days of working the canal in the 1800's

Looking for it now. Upstairs or downstairs?

If you were in Stubbing Wharf I hope you saw the poster on the wall. RHS near window as you face the canal. Avery old one advertising my family's days of working the canal in the 1800's

not sure if you have read this http://www.academia.edu/860270/Water_transport_in_the_industrial_age_Commodities_and_carriers_on_the_Rochdale_Canal_1804-1855 i came across it when I was doing a project on employment generated on the Canals during the nineteenth century. your family is mentioned a few times

I have quite a lot of information on Coal Companies and have records of tolls paid by J & J Veveers they were certainly a fairly significant player on the Rochdale and what was collectively known as Manchester Coal Carrying Companies. You certainly have a very interesting family with lots of Canal History and significant employers both direct and as contractors

Edited by cotswoldsman

We've made it to Hebden Bridge. Eating and drinking in Stubbing Wharf.

And great that the form's "Dr Bradley" came and shared a few beers with us.

Also, quite by coincidence as David and I were walking Odin to the pub, (thank Gawd for another dog friendly one that weeds veggies!), a voice called "Alan" from the other side of a fence dividing the towpath from a park. This time it was David Mack.

We are certainly encountering quite a lot of forumites.

Re The summit, afaik (and I moor at east end of summit in the pound below) it's now open from 10 till 4. Last week the two pounds to the east were a bit low, but just go ahead and run water down from summit, its full at the moment with the rain. The pound below summit with the swing bridge leaks like a seive but its only short and fills quickly. Might find time to walk down and see if you are around. Have a good trip, it's stunning, and don't forget to count the bricks on the great wall of Tod.