My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

It looks far better in real life than I thought it might. Nice to meet you (bellow at you across the river) earlier Marcus. If we can help with the clean up at all let us know smile.png

Lucy

Willing hands with a bucket and broom would be welcome, I guess

Richard

She's currently about 5cm deeper in the water than normal, due to her extra weight.. Water clogged mattresses, cushions etc... And there's a chance that when I get rid of these and she dries out that the stem issue may be resolved...

I've come across this before - a boat which is watertight (or virtually so) below the normal water line, but has holes or open seams just above. All it takes is a little extra rainwater... Perhaps that's what happened to Fairstar.

I guess you'll be giving the hull a good checkover above as well as below the waterline.

Excellent news :)

I never knew Basic Boat covered salvage, i've always insured my boats with them but thought it was just a 3rd party thing covering the legal requirement for licensing.

I was getting a feeling the 'insurance company' might be a mr m.warry ;)

well done and good luck with keeping her on top on the water

Thanks for your support everyone!

Bit of good news to kick off this update... She's afloat still!

Yesterday I pumped out nearly all the water... And the good news is that the leak at the bow stem stopped! However, over night she took on a bit.. And this morning the leak at the bow stem had started again.. So that the critical area... That seems fine when she's sitting higher in the water... Becomes threatening (and gets faster) as she sits lower... Even when empty, she's still sitting well below her normal line... So I hope this will become better as she dries out...

Today I'm fitting more automatic 12v bilge pumps... And need to start doing the right things to the engine...

If there's time I'm going to try and clear out a lot of the rubbish inside too... I may order a skip, or find a dump in Kingston... By apparently you need to have a kingdom address?! No sure if anyone can help with the address part?! I can get a van to sort it... I think one can load should clear the vast majority of the various mattresses, curtains etc, that are all jiggered...

I've just been really cheered up but a passing rower who exclaimed 'wow, what a lovely boat!!' ... Little does she know that this has really made my day! She's obviously got a good eye & superb vision!

I may start my blog today... And even hang a sign off the side of the boat... As a lot of locals seem to be rather interstated in the story!? Any ideas for what I should call it?

I'm going to change the name of the boat to Doris... I know this is apparently unlucky... But I'm hoping that I've had my quota of bad luck for a bit... (Touch wood!!)... And Fairstar was not her original name anyway... I feel this may signify a fresh start for her if anything?!

Thanks again for all your amazing support!

Marcus

X

Edited by Marcus Warry

Marcus

soo glad to see the boat up and floating again.

if you need any tools to complete the refit like routers, saws (chop and circular). Drop me a pm as i have a few spare now my refit us nearing completion that you could borrow to keep costs down if needed.

Definitely ok to change the name but wouldn't it be good to change back to the original - do you know what was?

People say it is Bad luck to change a boat name but it is in fact just as likely to result in Good luck so its nothing to worry about really.

Doris?

Hello!

I'm struggling a bit with the engine to be honest.

I don't know what the immediate things I must do are to help save her?!

I don't want to keep pestering Richard, as he's very busy and it's the weekend.... So far he's texted:

'Yes, pump the water out of the engine with the oil change pump''

I know there's a pump on the engine... But I thought it was a fuel pump... So I don't want to start pumping the wrong thing!

Also, I wonder if I need to empty the diesel tank first, which will probably be full of water too... And also have diesel & oil on standby.. So that when the water has come through... I can then ensure that the right stuff is in the engine instead...

Richard, please can you remind me what the correct oil is to buy?

Also am I panicking unnecessarily... I've never done this before.. But I'd hate to find in a couple of days, that I could have done something now to give her the best chance of surviving!

Thanks or all your help!

Marcus

X

The council dump in Kingston is indeed restricted to those resident in the borough. I used to be able to use it (based just over the border in Elmbridge) but they clamped down hard a few years back. They do charge vans as they assume it is commercial, I am not sure if there is any way to use some patter to work around that anymore.

I hope you do find a way to jettison the rubbish, the extra weight cannot be helping and clearing it helps give a clearer vision of what lies ahead.

Hi Marcus. The sump oil pump is on the right - er - starboard side of the engine, towards the gearbox end and low down. It has (from memory) a black, plastic handle

Pump out all of the water. There will only be water in there now - and that's all I need you to do

Richard

Marcus, if you need to take a load of rubbish to the dump, probably most London boroughs will accept domestic waste from residents, but otherwise either refuse it or charge a fee, it's £4 in Croydon. You either need to shop around for a not-too-fussy site, or get a resident to pretend it's theirs. If it's just a car-load and this helps, you can drive it over here and we'll take it to the Factory Lane site in West Croydon as mine. They'd be suspicious if it was a van, especially if the look of the vehicle suggested trade waste, and anyway access is tight for a van. If you want to bring a car-load, of course we need to pre-arrange a suitable time.

You might be able to reduce the rubbish volume and the effort involved by drying things out in the sun to reduce weight (and to keep the vehicle dry), separating plastic, paper, textiles etc. for recycling, and generally putting a bit of the rest out each week in a domestic rubbish collection. Round here I think the binmen are not too bothered as long as it's all in one wheely bin and not obviously building rubble or other non-domestic waste, they're just grateful it's not overflowing onto the path.

Or you might be able to get rid of some stuff on a bonfire on November 5th.

Thanks for your support everyone!

Bit of good news to kick off this update... She's afloat still!

Yesterday I pumped out nearly all the water... And the good news is that the leak at the bow stem stopped! However, over night she took on a bit.. And this morning the leak at the bow stem had started again.. So that the critical area... That seems fine when she's sitting higher in the water... Becomes threatening (and gets faster) as she sits lower... Even when empty, she's still sitting well below her normal line... So I hope this will become better as she dries out...

Today I'm fitting more automatic 12v bilge pumps... And need to start doing the right things to the engine...

If there's time I'm going to try and clear out a lot of the rubbish inside too... I may order a skip, or find a dump in Kingston... By apparently you need to have a kingdom address?! No sure if anyone can help with the address part?! I can get a van to sort it... I think one can load should clear the vast majority of the various mattresses, curtains etc, that are all jiggered...

I've just been really cheered up but a passing rower who exclaimed 'wow, what a lovely boat!!' ... Little does she know that this has really made my day! She's obviously got a good eye & superb vision!

I may start my blog today... And even hang a sign off the side of the boat... As a lot of locals seem to be rather interstated in the story!? Any ideas for what I should call it?

I'm going to change the name of the boat to Doris... I know this is apparently unlucky... But I'm hoping that I've had my quota of bad luck for a bit... (Touch wood!!)... And Fairstar was not her original name anyway... I feel this may signify a fresh start for her if anything?!

Thanks again for all your amazing support!

Marcus

X

A blog would be a great Idea. Maybe you could call it "The boat that went down Fairstar, but came back up Doris"