My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

With all due respect to the history and beauty of the boat you could buy a couple of them for the price of the hire of one of those beasts and you'd still have to find a way of lifting it without damaging it.

The water jet would blow the caulking out of the seams and holes in any soft planks.

Righto Carl,not familiar raising old wooden boats,so I would have made a serious error there. I suppose the pump could be idled down to an amount that would be less than waves slapping the caulking but then if she's sitting on clay or the like then it would need a bit of digging.

Righto Carl,not familiar raising old wooden boats,so I would have made a serious error there. I suppose the pump could be idled down to an amount that would be less than waves slapping the caulking but then if she's sitting on clay or the like then it would need a bit of digging.

She's sitting on a clean gravel bottom, according to Marcus.

MtB

Cover all the holes below water. Dont worry about gunnel. Pump out faster than it gets in. Up she pops.

The biggest holes are on the gunwale, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

The holes below the waterline will be leaks that a pump will cope with whereas the holes on the gunwales where the steps have been removed are huge.

Edited by carlt

The biggest holes are on the gunwale, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

The holes below the waterline will be leaks that a pump will cope with whereas the holes on the gunwales where the steps have been removed are huge.

Yes, I didn't voice that we'll. I meant the poly gunnel that Marcus is trying to erect. I think that that is more trouble than worth, and could collapse mid recovery. Would covering the large holes with ply/film not be better?

Yes, I didn't voice that we'll. I meant the poly gunnel that Marcus is trying to erect. I think that that is more trouble than worth, and could collapse mid recovery. Would covering the large holes with ply/film not be better?

The advantage with raising the gunwales is that you are wrapping an even surface whereas the missing gunwale step in a boat like this is pretty much impossible to seal.

If you look at the various pictures of the boat you will see that the sides are smooth unobstructed all the way round so wrapping it is much easier than many boats that have steering gear and the like sticking out.

If raising the freeboard was a no-goer I would look at stuffing the gunwale step holes with foam mattresses or futons rather than plastic or ply but the chances of blocking them up would be remote.

Thumb update:

I had five stitches... And i cut my tendon.., fortunately not too badly.. And I still seem to have full mobility...

I'm on antibiotics to ensure it can't get infected... And annoyingly I have to keep it dry for about a week! Argh!!!

Sadly, I may not be able to do much more on raising the polythene gunwale... Until about Tuesday next week at the earliest... Very very frustrating!!

I'll keep you updated!

Marcus

X

Thumb update:

I had five stitches... And i cut my tendon.., fortunately not too badly.. And I still seem to have full mobility...

It's an initiation ritual.

I almost severed the middle finger on my left hand when I refloated Lucy.

Oh dear!

Yes, sadly all part if the excercise it seems...

Still, it gives me a slight break from diving in the Thames for a bit... Every cloud has a silver lining and all that!

Marcus

X

. A marigold glove and some gaffer tape and you have know reason to stop that's if you don't want to ,wish I was a bit closer or less busy I,d love a go at this sadly all I can do is watch this thread with interest and wish you luck hope to see it floating again soon

Is anyone willing to volunteer the use of a substantial pump? Also a work boat to be the base for pumps generators and compressors, Marcus has the loan of some submersible pumps but they are all electric so their use would mean a big generator, can anyone provide the use of a generator of say 10KVA -even better if it's on a boat or pontoon

I have a huge list, Things I'd like to borrow, things we may have to hire, things especially the work boat that may prove difficult. BUT the biggest problem is that all the significant people are not on forum at the same time.

Current likely dates are weekend 16/17 or 23/24/25 Aug which is a Bank Holiday

Target is divers in by 10 AM buoyancy rigged by 12 boat lifted to gunwales at waterline by 2 fully pumped out by 6 pm

Considering pumps, I used to use a 350 GPM pump, That's 1600 litres per minute which is a big pump or a big group of pumps, and uses a LOT of power. The boat work site is a long way from electricity so fueled pumps would be a good plan rather than electric (which means running generators and cable)

If you can get a suitable boat, I would suggest hire of a proper high volume pump. For one day the cost should be reasonable enough.

A quick Google of "water pump hire" brings up various outlets, Brandon Hire, Hire Station to mention just two

Edited by luctor et emergo

HSS do a "Trash Pump" with 3" suction but we'd probably need two of them. Borrow should be cheaper than hire for Marcus and hire stuff will come at "weekend" rates and need guarding over two nights or it may get stolen. Borrowed stuff can go back to the owner before nightfall.

Well 1000 litres is on the big side but not over the top for a narrowboat, but bear in mind it weighs just over a tonne when full, and mounting it in FAIRSTAR in a secure way that the timber hull can support will be quite a headache.

I'd choose something half or one third of that size if I were you.

MtB

Still following this thread with bated breath hoping for a positive outcome.

Best of luck Marcus and well done to all the forumites who have offered advice and/or help and have truly made a difference. It's heartwarming.

HSS do a "Trash Pump" with 3" suction but we'd probably need two of them. Borrow should be cheaper than hire for Marcus and hire stuff will come at "weekend" rates and need guarding over two nights or it may get stolen. Borrowed stuff can go back to the owner before nightfall.

Sure, but you have to be able to get all the pumps etc together at the same time. And so far, the support is great, but actual pumps available seems lacking.