another unlicenced boat

b0atman

Featured Posts

.It is amazing how most caravanners don't bother either .I believe third party cover is about £60 a year.

Damage caused when towing a caravan, to a third party or their property is normally covered by the insurance policy of the towing vehicle, so additional third party cover is not usually needed.

Oh goody, another "Waaah waah Miss, Miss, he's got more than me" type thread... :(

I've recently started looking for another boat to live on after a break of over 20 years. But after coming on here reading some of the comments and attitudes seems it might be a mistake. If this forum shows the attitudes of the majority of boaters then it's like the cut has changed from being a lovely chilled out place to being full of angry people who spend their time getting all het up over what everyone else is doing instead of getting on with their own lives and enjoying the cut.

Because this is a waterways discussion forum (the clue is in it's name) it's where issues that affect people or concern people get discussed, as a result the issues distill down into a lot of discussions on here. The actuality of being out on the waterways themselves is very different and this forums content is not representative.

It's up to you whether you buy another boat or not.

It's terrible that somebody is forcing you to read it all

It's terrible that you appear to think that sarcasm is amusing... ;)

Because this is a waterways discussion forum (the clue is in it's name) it's where issues that affect people or concern people get discussed, as a result the issues distill down into a lot of discussions on here. The actuality of being out on the waterways themselves is very different and this forums content is not representative.

It's up to you whether you buy another boat or not.

I'm fully aware of the purpose of a forum, hence posting on it!

Maybe I worded it all wrong (English grammar not being my best subject!) I was hoping that the content posted on here wasn't indicative of the majority opinion and attitude of current boaters. :)

What I object most to is the blatant disregard councils have for line treaders by replacing all paving flagstones with tarmac footways.

Don't they realise that having to balance precariously on the kerb is not only dangerous but highly stressful?

• Greenie 1

Look, I don`t want to be rude but its a lovely day and there must be things to enjoy apart from someone elses schadenfreude and what CRT get up to. I am going shopping in the car in a few minutes and I will probably not buy a parking ticket, I would hope nobody would take it upon themselves to inform the authorities I will almost certainly break a speed limit or two on the way just to get a little relief from the suffocating weight of Do As You Are Told we live under now - its childish but it makes me feel good.

You can hope. You can break speed limits. If you get booked, I'm cool.

What I object most to is the blatant disregard councils have for line treaders by replacing all paving flagstones with tarmac footways.

Don't they realise that having to balance precariously on the kerb is not only dangerous but highly stressful?

Also tarmac footpaths make hopscotch more difficult.

I'm fully aware of the purpose of a forum, hence posting on it!

Whilst being aware of the purpose of the forum is one thing it is also worth being aware of the reason why a distorted impression may be gained as to how representative the forum is or isn't of the wider boating community.

Hence my clarification as to why I think it isn't.

Debatable.

and a more interesting debate than "another unlicensed boat".

The advantage of paving over tarmac is that you rarely have a ruler to chalk out straight lines.

Lines drawn freehand are fine for casual games but you really need accurate straight lines for tournament standard hopscotch.

and a more interesting debate than "another unlicensed boat".

The advantage of paving over tarmac is that you rarely have a ruler to chalk out straight lines.

Lines drawn freehand are fine for casual games but you really need accurate straight lines for tournament standard hopscotch.

I would like to see hopscotch included in the Olympic games. I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

Damage caused when towing a caravan, to a third party or their property is normally covered by the insurance policy of the towing vehicle, so additional third party cover is not usually needed.

I have 'towed' for aout 40 years and I think (probably without exception) the car policy only covers a trailer/caravan if you notify your insurers that you will be towing.

There was one policy that even when they were informed, the caravan was only insured whilst attached, if it became detached during towing ( ie towbar / hitch failure) then it was not being towed and therefore there was no cover

It is a deliberate attempt by the international community to deny the UK of a gold medal we would surely win.

Darts would be another example of such denial.

Edited by Guest

I have 'towed' for aout 40 years and I think (probably without exception) the car policy only covers a trailer/caravan if you notify your insurers that you will be towing.

There was one policy that even when they were informed, the caravan was only insured whilst attached, if it became detached during towing ( ie towbar / hitch failure) then it was not being towed and therefore there was no cover

That wasn't my experience at all but I accept it's about 10 years since we last towed a caravan, the wording in our policies that I bought always allowed it.

ed to add this wording from our current policy with Budget Insurance (which is what has been my experience in the past)

WoL20iq.jpg

I always used to check it was covered as I didn't want to be left un insured, so clearly we used different insurance companies than you did (do)

Edited by The Dog House

ASDA sell chalk.....

I refer you to post #34

I was actually talking of caravans on site at the marina.

.... and we would know this how exactly?

You simply said 'caravanners' which to me predominantly means people who tow caravans, any way how do you know the 'static' caravanners at the marina aren't insured?

Yes the weather is lovely here too, 28C according to my car. We haven't had much of the recent sunshine up here on the NE coast till late yesterday and today.

Edited by The Dog House

Because one manager in name only sent out a form and one of the questions was who is your insurance with not one had anything in that section.

Nothing was done about it .

I would assume that touring caravans would have insurance cover .

Because one manager in name only sent out a form and one of the questions was who is your insurance with not one had anything in that section.

Nothing was done about it .

I would assume that touring caravans would have insurance cover .

Touring caravans do normally have third party cover see above.

Presumably then they don't have any insurance cover what so ever covering their own caravans never mind just third parties, which indeed means they are taking a heck of a risk.

Look, I don`t want to be rude but its a lovely day and there must be things to enjoy apart from someone elses schadenfreude and what CRT get up to. I am going shopping in the car in a few minutes and I will probably not buy a parking ticket, I would hope nobody would take it upon themselves to inform the authorities I will almost certainly break a speed limit or two on the way just to get a little relief from the suffocating weight of Do As You Are Told we live under now - its childish but it makes me feel good.

Wouldn't inform the authorities but as one who always pays to park (in a town where the council are apparently determined to price shoppers out of the city centre) would derive a lot of malicious pleasure from seeing you get caught. That probably makes me a bad person but at least I'm not a piss taker.

Wouldn't inform the authorities but as one who always pays to park (in a town where the council are apparently determined to price shoppers out of the city centre) would derive a lot of malicious pleasure from seeing you get caught. That probably makes me a bad person but at least I'm not a piss taker.

The council makes you pay a parking charge that you consider to be too high, so you take pleasure in watching them force that unfair charge on to others?

Does that not sound a bit ridiculous to you?