G U turning into a marina

Top cat

Featured Posts

Having just come up the GU it seems that it is being turned into one long thin marina, we hardly got out of tickover. It was especially bad though Milton Keynes where it seemed we were never out of sight of a moored boat. And it stayed much the same till Norton junction.

Still it has it's compensations knowing that you are under the watchfull eyes of the continual moorers at all times gives one confidence when passing through the urban blight of MK.

And as they helpfully put up warning signs in areas that theives operate and give helpful tips on how one can reduce ones tickover speed even more.

I suppose it's because of this valuable social service that they are exempt from licences, mooring regulations, BSS and insurance.

It was such a relief to turn onto the Oxford and make normal progress, at times unobserved.

Terry

• Greenie 1

I suppose it's because of this valuable social service that they are exempt from licences, mooring regulations, BSS and insurance.

It was such a relief to turn onto the Oxford and make normal progress, at times unobserved.

Terry

...you must have talked to a lot of imaginary boaters to asatain that information...

Having just come up the GU it seems that it is being turned into one long thin marina, we hardly got out of tickover. It was especially bad though Milton Keynes where it seemed we were never out of sight of a moored boat. And it stayed much the same till Norton junction

You are doing it wrong! On the GU for me its 3+mph and sod those that arent tied up properly.

Never let moored boats impead your navigation.

• Greenie 3

Having just come up the GU it seems that it is being turned into one long thin marina, we hardly got out of tickover. It was especially bad though Milton Keynes where it seemed we were never out of sight of a moored boat. And it stayed much the same till Norton junction.

Still it has it's compensations knowing that you are under the watchfull eyes of the continual moorers at all times gives one confidence when passing through the urban blight of MK.

And as they helpfully put up warning signs in areas that theives operate and give helpful tips on how one can reduce ones tickover speed even more.

Terry

I suspect you have been in a deep sleep, when I snap my fingers, you will wake, and have no recollection of writing this bull.

Having gone through Milton keynes 3 times since Xmas (the latest being Monday), I know you are exaggerating :-)

I suspect you have been in a deep sleep, when I snap my fingers, you will wake, and have no recollection of writing this bull.

Having gone through Milton keynes 3 times since Xmas (the latest being Monday), I know you are exaggerating :-)

He wrote something similarly disparaging about boating up North, last year I think, I don't think he actually enjoys boating....

Terry

So which canal are you helping to turn into a marina?

I'm afraid that simply owning a boat means one is equally complicit, even if you're CCing or one's particular home waterway is currently uncrowded - because at current rates of boat ownership it soon may be.

Edited by blackrose

Completely agree.

If you feel the need for speed, then you're in the wrong hobby/lifestyle, maybe a RIB on the Solent would be more suitable.

Isn't it funny, how different people observe things.

We made the trip down from Braunston to MK Monday & Tuesday and found it a lovely and pleasant trip. Yes there was a couple of areas that had quite a few boats moored, more often than not close to villages and marinas. But didn't find it overbearing at all. nor did it impede our journey in anyway. We normally cruise at 2.5mph and slow down to under 2 when passing moored boats. We actually made a little better time than planned using canal route planner.pVkOznz.jpg

And...Gr3nUHL.jpg

And a bit more....K8QZRXj.jpg

How could you not enjoy a trip that included sights like these?

• Greenie 4

I'll bear that in mind next time I pass your mooring ;-)

Luckily there are slight navigation restrictions for wide boats either end of the mooring, you have to take it easy unless you can either stop in your own length or have a good aim :)

Funny enough, when I moved over here 15 years ago, we lived in MK for the first 7 months, I HATED it. My impression of it, was all busy roads and ugly structured hedges everywhere. In 7 months, didn't get to know anyone on our street.

This is the first time we've been back since moving away. Being on the boat on the canal, it's wonderful. Been here for 3 days now, have met & had conversations with 3 of our boat neighbors. We have quite tall trees on both sides of us, which is nice in this heat. Great internet signal, close to public transport and easy walking distance to a pub. Zebby is happy (I think)

All is good.

Blimey there are boats out... on the Union.......in July?.... can you ascertain they are all...to quote "exempt from licences, mooring regulations, BSS and insurance", and not just moored up because maybe it might be too hot, or not moving because they might be having a day off? Yes some may be CCers or the like but please don't generalise.

May i suggest you go to somewhere like the middle levels as i believe there was a boat there a week last Thursday, rather than go on a main line in Summer and complain about boats being there?

And surely, MK has one of the greenest urban stretches of cut, it's actually quite pretty.

My opinion.

Dan

Edited by stagedamager

The modern Milton Bloody Keynes was built to conform to the '60s idea that we would all drive everywhere, and to keep people safe, all pedestrian walkways and cycle tracks are kept well away form the roads. As a result, they have turned into a muggers' paradise. It was also built so that all the businesses were in one area, while people lived in other areas, so you probably didn't live near your co-workers, and the entertainment facilities were somewhere else again, so you didn't have a local pub or shop to drop in to and meet your neighbours on a day to day basis.

The original village still exists and is a pleasant place, as is the canal, I suspect because the town planners deliberately ignored what was seen as an old fashioned, useless piece of history, which was probably going to be filled in fairly shortly anyway.

Turned EastEnders off, this is much more entertaining!

Watching paint dry is more interesting than Enders.......

The discussions on here are about on par.......with paint drying that is.