Towpath Talk

mark99

Featured Posts

Mrs. Athy is also a fan of the programme - which seems to be on one of the lesser TV channels about 17 hours a day, eight days a week. As long as Sir Tony had a good contract in the first place, these continual (indeed, almost continuous) repeats should be a good pension fund for him.

My missus cannot stand the programme - "oh no not another hour of scratching about on yet another freacking small dividing wall!!"

I believe it is the excavation leader, Glen Foard, Sir Tony Robinson and his teams fault the battlefield moorings on the Ashby were lost to boaters.

They decided Richard Plantagenet wasn't killed there, but North West of Ambion Hill.

The field was returned to the farmer, footpath and moorings closed to the public.

Shame, it was one of our favorite spots.

Edited by Ray T

Ally have managed to save it from the "to be burnt pile"!! Either pm your add or let me know where you are and I can pass it on.:D

Brilliant pics and video Laurie, thanks. I really want to do this next year!

Pm sent, if you're not in the area I can send an address, thanks!

Haven't looked at the pictures yet, thanks Laurie.

Slightly off topic.

Is Sir Tony Robinson a real historian?

Apparently not, but as an actor with an interest in history I think he was a very good choice to present Time Team. Any such program needs a bunch of top experts plus someone fronting it who knows how to talk to them and the camera and engage the viewer with the subject. By now he's been hanging around with the real historians so long that a lot of knowledge must have rubbed off onto him anyway.

Even further off topic, I still feel that the finest moment of his career was when he (or was it a stunt man?) was pushed into a dock in London by John Wayne in Brannigan (1974). I plead in mitigation that this is waterways-related.

Apparently not, but as an actor with an interest in history I think he was a very good choice to present Time Team. Any such program needs a bunch of top experts plus someone fronting it who knows how to talk to them and the camera and engage the viewer with the subject. By now he's been hanging around with the real historians so long that a lot of knowledge must have rubb

ed off onto him anyway.

Agreed. If it was a load of historians/archaelogists it could descend into a load of esoteric nonsense. It needs a skilled presenter to challenge/reign in and put into the wider context for the overall benefit of the common viewer.

Gene Pitney, one of my top favourite singers. Up there with Chuck Berry and Johnny Cash. Just love Gene's voice. Well you all went off topic so thought I'd join in! (The track on the video is 24 hours from Tulsa by Gene)

First 4 notes, before I turned the sound off cos r4 on, and Noreen started singing it. Gave me an earworm all afternoon.