Annoying fisherman

Yamanx

Featured Posts

If anyone from BW is reading this forum perhaps they can advise us where we can read them - even better it could be arranged for them to be posted as a .pdf on their website.

Just checked his profile, and Eugene's not been online since December 18th.

Anyone upset him?

The argument that "ignorance of the law is no defence" becomes a nonsense when it proves impossible to find out exactly what the law is.

... but they won't tell you what the laws are unless you buy a printed copy?

Surely that can't be right?

I mean, that would be ridiculous :D

Its just the way things are - whenever laws are passed (unless there is a report in the media) the only way we can find out about them is by buying a copy of the relevant Act - and then it is all gobbledegook so you need to pay a solicitor to explain what it really means . . .

On the tidal Broads and rivers anglers often lease the rights to fish from a certain bank, so for others to moor against that bank, and fish from their boat, is hardly good sportsmanship. But I don't believe that it is illeagal.

However, the canals are classed as private waters, unlike the tidal Broads, and the right to fish can be a valuable asset. Having paid for the fishing rights then, I suspect, others, even on a boat, can not legally fish it.

You folk pay for the right to navigate the canals, others pay for the right to fish them. I am no expert but I suspect that I am not far off the mark on that one.

Hi All,

Nice to see pleasant diologue on the subject. Now I don't fish, so I hope I'm not going to ask a dumb question!

Is it really nessesary to wear camouflage, and use dark or black fishing rods?

The reason I ask is that on the Basingstoke there is a lot of tree cover, and although I'm only 14' long I find I'm almost on top of anglers before I see them which results it an urgent swing on the handbrake which stirs up everything. I can't begin to imagine what it's like try to spot anglers at 60-70'!

Which leads me to my next question.

Would it be possible to have some sort of universally recognised 'marker', a flat orange disc on the rod somewhere or even a carrier bag tied up in the trees on the bank just so we know you're there?

What does anyone else think? Or should I go to Specsavers?!

Oh, and as I understand it on the Basingstoke, you're not supposed to fish from any boat, or even from your garden if it boarders the water. Towpath fishing only.

Looking forward to your response,

Rob.

Hi All,

Nice to see pleasant diologue on the subject. Now I don't fish, so I hope I'm not going to ask a dumb question!

The reason I ask is that on the Basingstoke there is a lot of tree cover, and although I'm only 14' long I find I'm almost on top of anglers before I see them which results it an urgent swing on the handbrake which stirs up everything. I can't begin to imagine what it's like try to spot anglers at 60-70'!

Would it be possible to have some sort of universally recognised 'marker', a flat orange disc on the rod somewhere or even a carrier bag tied up in the trees on the bank just so we know you're there?

Oh, and as I understand it on the Basingstoke, you're not supposed to fish from any boat, or even from your garden if it boarders the water. Towpath fishing only.

Rob.

well I dont know whether my leg was being pulled, but I was told, its so the fish can't see them...

:D

feel free to laugh at Min~~~~ I can take it!!

LOL

but your right, you cn't see em submerged in bushes etc...then you feel awful when you dont see em and don't adjust acordingly or even take a line with you....this happens a lot on the Avon....tight and twisty with a current... what can u do :/

I'm only 14' long I find I'm almost on top of anglers
Perhaps that should be posted on the Fridaaaay thread? They'd have hours of innocent fun with that statement!
Would it be possible to have some sort of universally recognised 'marker'

Excellent idea! Some sort of advance warning would be most welcome.

a carrier bag tied up in the trees
It would be difficult to differentiate it from the bags of dog poo left by inconsiderate towpath walkers!

I have always found fishermen considerate and non abusive. They are only fishing after all not trying to anoy us

Nicely said Angela!

Janet

I take it you've never seen a 14 footer before?

You must be a northerner

Northern and proud of it! Not used to much less than 57 foot!

Seriously, what exactly is a 14 footer? I'm guessing it's a type of boat that we don't see up here?

Janet

well I dont know whether my leg was being pulled, but I was told, its so the fish can't see them...

:D

feel free to laugh at Min~~~~ I can take it!!

LOL

but your right, you cn't see em submerged in bushes etc...then you feel awful when you dont see em and don't adjust acordingly or even take a line with you....this happens a lot on the Avon....tight and twisty with a current... what can u do :/

As regards the fishes eye view. Total internal reflection means that the fish can see nothig above the surface which is more that about 43degrees from the vertical so the camouflage is largely redundant.

Nick

Howardang, I have been an angler for over 50 years and in that time have undertook many roles within fishing clubs and associations, I have to say that I have never seen or heard of the British Waterways Code, this despite several of those clubs renting water from BWB, it was also most noticeable that angling is not even mentioned on the BWB web site at least the last time I looked, so what chance does a non clubman have of seeing one he sure dont get one with his licence, and neither does he get one issued with a day ticket, but then you can bet that the code is probably common sense something we are not all blessed with.

I would have thought that as the problem seems to revolve around locks that the problem should be reported to the lock keeper thus avoiding confrontation between angler and boater or does BWB only pay lip service to boaters as they seem to do with anglers.

Hello Brian,

I have always assumed that BW would give every angler a copy of the waterways code when they took out a licence. The code is accessable from the British Waterways web site as follows:- http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/images/W..._tcm6-71610.pdf

Alternatively, type in "Waterways Code" in the search box.

Your suggestion about reporting problems to the lock keeper, such as anglers fishing near to lock approach moorings is a good one, but unfortunately the vast majority of locks do not have lock keepers so there is nobody around.

As you will see when you read the code there is also advice for boaters when approaching anglers.

Regards

Howard Anguish

Yeah, that guide things quite good.

- And a first glance it looks like a load of bull thats clearly no going to have anthing usfull in it.

- But actually its supprisingly indepth and seams to cover a lot of whats been said.

I seams to bang on about paint a fair bit! More relevent i would say is the fact that even tiny taps on the hull can be heard clearing everywhere inside.

- Occationaly when you get ducks nibbling at the weed, it sounds like someone firing a submachine gun down the side of the boat at four in the bloody morning!

The hooks in ropes comment is a pritty important one as well. Ive never seen it happen, but even thinging about it makes me cringe!

I once had a hook in my arm as well.

- I think we where approching a bridge, or pipe, or somthing. Anyway, i was standing on the roof to lower the funnel (where a steamboat btw) and the guy failed to lift his hook/rod high enough to take account of me being there.

- Fortuanatly i was in a boilersuit and it just stuck in the sleave, and we had to stop the boat and get the hook free, trying not to get it snaged in my fingars!

He was very applagetic about it. But i cant help but feel sometimes a little more margin for error wouldnt be a bad thing. If the hook had gone elsewhere, it could have been far worse.

- Its like the hirer who was mentioned earlyer for panicing when an angler left lifting his rod to the last minute. You cant blame them if they never done it before, sometimes i wonder if they have actually seen us, and have once had one clip the stem as he lifted the rod.

Daniel

I always thought anything the other side of Huddersfield was "The South"!

I have friends in Scotland who say Blackburn is "south" and has palm trees

yeah, there's only two places north of London: Hatfield and The North. It says so on the road signs.

thought they were a band?

Just checked his profile, and Eugene's not been online since December 18th.

Anyone upset him?

Bahamas back Jan 23rd good holiday that! :D

I'm only 14' long I find I'm almost on top of anglers before I see them

Rob.

Rob a 70 foot boat would not improve your eye sight unless

you steer from the front, it will actually make your problem worse

slow down :D

great thread everyone most enjoyable

Do you know how to stop anglers from fishing from lock mooring, moor on them overnight, then when they turn up at 5 am you have beat them to it :D

before anyone points out the obvious you moored up at sunset, the only boats moving after dark really should only be working boats and they will not be mooring up to lock anyway, so there..

How to annoy anyone on the cut

1. SMILE

2. Be hard of hearing, helps to have a loud engine, me hearing not what it used to be :D

A "Your *ucking up my swim"

B "You dont want to swim in there mate"

Off Topic but, whose ideal was it to start painting gloss below the gunwale?

Does anyone know where Maude Boats are located?

Hi All,

Rob.

Freud would have a field day with you, anglers are cool but I wouldn't want to mount one :D

Hi All,

Rob.

Just to answer some of Robs questions

1 Todays rods and poles are manufactured from carbon fibre which in its raw state is black the additions of dyes may be both difficult and cost prohibitive, alyhough some anglers have now started to paint their top kits light grey to represent the same colour of a herons underbody.

2 Some anglers do use a small cup on their poles many made out of the plastic insert from a kinder egg most of which are orange the addition of anything to large like a disc would make the pole out of balance and also make it difficult to control in cross winds. Most poles at a length of 16 metre will weigh over a kilo, which when held for 5 or so hours takes some strain.

3 Not all anglers wear camoflage and many of the waterproofs we wear have some bright colours flashed on them. Its almost a fashion requirement these days :D

4 You are correct about not being allowed to fish from the non towpath side, and whilst fishing from a boat may not contravene any bylaws, the permission to fish belongs to the controllers of the fishing rights therefore a day ticket or club book would still be required.

Hi Brian, thanks for that, can't say I've seen any Kinder type markers but I will certainly look out for them. How well something like that would show up from the blunt end of a 70' Nb I don't know but anything's better than nothing.

Glad to see my grammatical fopar has given you all some amusement! As for Freud, if he'd met me I reckon he'd have taken early retirement...

Quickly off topic, and I'm sure I'm going to regret it, but what the hell is a 'Wet Betsy'?

Hi Brian, thanks for that, can't say I've seen any Kinder type markers but I will certainly look out for them. How well something like that would show up from the blunt end of a 70' Nb I don't know but anything's better than nothing.

Glad to see my grammatical fopar has given you all some amusement! As for Freud, if he'd met me I reckon he'd have taken early retirement...

Quickly off topic, and I'm sure I'm going to regret it, but what the hell is a 'Wet Betsy'?

LOL OHH who should tell him ?

not me 4 sure!

~~~~giggles and runs off!

Funnily enough I stood in the stophouse for over an hour while the lovely charlene (now gone to rugby cement) photocopied the complete waterways act (including all amendments) from 1971 to 1995 including all the byelaws she could find. This was when the former waterways manager, now promoted, accidentally told me 'of course you can have a copy'. I did ask for the relevant bits of the British Transport act as well but I was firmly shown the door.